Author Topic: South Alabama storms ah comin'!!!!  (Read 1533 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
South Alabama storms ah comin'!!!!
« on: February 23, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
Well, it looks like we're going to have a stormy night.  Last one a week ago brought a tornado about 1.5 mile from the house.  We had a 20" pine tree blow down across AL10 blocking traffic until the fire department got it cut up.  I had my wife and youngest daughter on conference call during the baddest part of it.  My granddaughters live about 30 miles south of us...their 4x4 swing-set ended up in the hay field behind their house.  Hopefully nothing even that dramatic will come of this system.  We've had a few sporadic rains today...a steady rain has set in now as the sun is getting low in the sky...gives the rain that golden tint.  Coming out of Mississippi on a north easterly trek.  Everybody in the path be safe.

And just as I finish typing the rain stops...

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline night

• Senior Contributor
Re: South Alabama storms ah comin'!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 05:59:48 PM »
We had a 20" pine tree blow down across AL10 blocking traffic until the fire department got it cut up.

Must be some small cars you all drive down there.  20" tree barely gets up to my bumper. ;)

Stay safe.

Mark

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2016, 06:03:58 PM »
I'm sorry, it was probably 25-30 inches...in diameter. ;)   (But, something tells me you knew that.  :lol: )

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »
Stay safe Ed... and hope those bees as well!

Looks like that might part of what we are expecting tomorrow
Statements
3:53 PM EST Tuesday 23 February 2016
Special weather statement in effect for:

• London - Parkhill - Eastern Middlesex County
  • Strathroy - Komoka - Western Middlesex County

A major winter storm is expected to affect Ontario Wednesday and Thursday.

A low pressure system is expected to develop and emerge from Texas today, then track northeast towards the Lower Great Lakes and intensify into a major winter storm Wednesday.

This winter storm is expected to bring significant amounts of rain, snow and ice pellets, along with the possibility of freezing rain.
These types of winter storms from Texas typically bring 15 to 30 mm or more of rain to locales that get mainly rain, and 15 to 30 cm of heavy snow to regions that get hit by the heaviest snow. A band of freezing rain and ice pellets often forms over regions near the rain-snow line.

Travelling conditions are expected to quickly deteriorate Wednesday as the precipitation arrives.

Paul