Author Topic: WeatherLink Live questions  (Read 3560 times)

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
WeatherLink Live questions
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:18:30 AM »
I have a couple questions. 

1) The peak wind speeds displayed on WeatherLink are different than what is displayed on my VP2 console.  Sometimes they are higher, sometimes they are lower.  What's going on and which one is "correct"?

2) My data is being sent to Weather Underground from the Davis WeatherLink.  On Weather Underground the precipitation amount data is not correct.  It seems to show a rolling 24-hour precip total instead of calendar day.  Can this be fixed?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: WeatherLink Live questions
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 09:27:16 AM »
I have a couple questions. 

1) The peak wind speeds displayed on WeatherLink are different than what is displayed on my VP2 console.  Sometimes they are higher, sometimes they are lower.  What's going on and which one is "correct"?

Can you be more specific? WLL obviously doesn't have a display so where are you looking at the WLL max winds? Smartphone app in LIVE mode or online at weatherlink.com or maybe some other device? And which time frame are you looking at max wind speed values for? Daily max values or something else?

2) My data is being sent to Weather Underground from the Davis WeatherLink.  On Weather Underground the precipitation amount data is not correct.  It seems to show a rolling 24-hour precip total instead of calendar day.  Can this be fixed?

Suspect this is more a question for WU.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 09:28:32 AM »
Since midnight my console shows the max wind speed was 37 knots. 

Both the iOS app and the WeatherLink Bulletin (website) show a peak speed of 41 knots.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 10:06:16 AM »
OK, so daily max wind speed. Well, assuming that time, timezone settings etc are identical on both console and WLL, I can immediately think of a couple of reasons for any discrepancy:

1. The console will show the max speed it has seen fully up to date whereas there may be something of a delay before the max speed is uploaded to wl.com.

2. You may have eg different windcup settings on WLL and console. The receivers (ie console & WLL) make secondary adjustments to the wind speed received from the transmitter to allow for different cup types, different wind directions etc. If the two units are not using the same correction algorithm then the result will be a different speed.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 11:01:04 AM »
And... VP2  console firmware version. Davis changed the corrections it applies over the various firmware releases. I have two consoles that show different speeds from the same sensor, one is running older firmware that I cannot update.

To compare the VP2 against the WLL I'd want the VP2 to be running recent firmware. You'd expect they used the latest correction table values in the WLL.
Mark

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »
I noticed another issue.  The indoor temperature on the console is 72 F while the indoor temperature on WLL (app/website) is 78 F.

Online wvdkuil

• Wim van der kuil
  • Forecaster
    • My PWS at Leuven Belgium Europe
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 11:56:37 AM »
I noticed another issue.  The indoor temperature on the console is 72 F while the indoor temperature on WLL (app/website) is 78 F.
The indoor temperature comes from the device itself. Not from an external device.

So both devices (console and WLL) have there own sensor and their own electronics to heat things up.
Another example, two consoles , one with an USB logger and one with an IP-logger => at least 5 degrees difference due to the electronics.
===
Also the location of the WLL and the console can be of influence. Are they really sited next to another in the same area?

Wim

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 06:49:29 AM »
Woke up this morning to a WeatherLink Live displayed pressure of 30.29” and a pressure on the VP2 console of 30.33”.  Its 18 F outside this morning.

Any ideas? [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 07:04:53 AM »
There are two pressure sensors. You may need to calibrate one or the other or both. They may respond slightly differently to changing conditions. There is no problem if they average about the same over longer periods.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:59 AM »
I assume there is a pressure center in the console and one in the WLL?  But why?

This is the first time I’ve noticed a difference. 

Is there documentation regarding this 2nd pressure sensor?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 07:51:24 AM »
I assume there is a pressure center in the console and one in the WLL?  But why?

Because the WLL cannot talk to the console, and with the WLL you do not even need a console.
Mark

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2019, 07:19:38 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  Now I understand the WeatherLink Live and the Vantage Pro 2 Console (6312) have nothing to do with each other.

How confusing. 

The maximum wind speed are frequently different, I assume this is a result of different sampling times.

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 07:59:18 AM »
Also, could the VP2 console be displaying sea level pressure (altimeter setting corrected with mean ambient temperature) and the WLL be displaying altimeter setting/QNH?

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2019, 10:24:09 AM »
...the WLL be displaying altimeter setting/QNH?
What have you calibrated it to? Normally you would set seal level pressure.

The WLL supplies two pressure values, the raw absolute pressure it reads, and a calibrated value that you set, nominally sea-level.
Mark

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2019, 01:11:41 PM »
Mean sea level pressure corrects for non standard temperature (and sometimes even humidity).  Altimeter setting/barometer/QNH only corrects for altitude.   

I think most of us set our weather stations to what is the “A” column (“Q” outside of North America) from METAR.

https://www.wingsbywerntz.com/520-metar-slp-sea-level-pressure
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 01:14:42 PM by METARMan »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »
I would not categorize either Altimeter or Sea Level Pressure as what most use. I think most people have no clue that there is even a difference or rather most people have no clue that there is more than one form of corrected pressure for elevation.

I use both. I use Altimeter Pressure only for CWOP and I use Sea Level Pressure for all other online services. I don't have to do anything special to make this possible. I just use my Meteobridge and it figures it all out for me for each service. Just as most other software does.

There are people that know the difference and they may use one or the other or both and they know how to make their station report the one they want.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 02:12:36 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2019, 03:08:29 PM »
The Davis VP2 Console sends Sea Level Pressure (SLP) which is NOT what CWOP *expects* to see. CWOP expects Altimeter (ALT) pressure which is Raw/Absolute/Station (STA) pressure corrected ONLY for altitude.

The Davis VUE Console (works with VP2) can send either SLP or ALT -- it's up to you -- just select which you want to send during setup.

And WLL generates Altimeter pressure.

Worth mentioning also perhaps that these values are what the consoles display (where there is a display) and send as the primary pressure value in eg the LOOP packet of the logger API. But other pressure values like absolute pressure can be available in eg the LOOP2 packets. So software can potentially calculate and forward different pressure values depending on what it picks up from the API. A lot of software probably won't do other than forward the default pressure value but the potential is there to offer additional options.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 03:41:22 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline METARMan

• Contributor
    • PANAZAR44
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 09:40:59 AM »
The precipitation problem with my WeatherLink Live displaying on Weather Underground appears to be fixed. 

Calendar day precipitation is amount is now displayed on Weather Underground instead of the rolling 24 hour amount.  I e-mailed Davis back and forth and sent a message to Weather Underground, I never got a resolution e-mail back but with the past few rain events the display on Weather Underground is correct.

Offline bianconero57

• Contributor
    • Valdefensch@57
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2019, 04:13:06 AM »
hello
I join the discussion because I continue to have a big rain-live display bug on the mobile app and on the bulletin summary
I already configured the device with 2 ISS then on the advice of Davis I replaced the device as a guarantee thinking that it was a hardware problem ... the downside is that after running a clean installation on the new device with a single station "primary" I continue to have a report (rain + storm) completely inconsistent !! see for example for the last rainy episode last night (0.8mm vs/ 103.2mm) ??

has anyone faced the same problem and hypothesis (high) can it be a concern with the cloud ??
thnx and regards

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2019, 04:29:09 AM »
This is the sort of issue that you have to take direct to Davis (or go via CIMA). No-one here is really likely to know the answer.

I can't personally make out exactly what the rainfall issue might be, but if there is an issue at weatherlink.com then it will be a bug in the code that handles WLL rainfall and only Davis developers can fix that. It certainly won't be any issue arising from just using the cloud in general, rather it will be a specific bug in the code. Is the issue still there? I think that Davis released an update in the past few days that fixes some issue to do with rainfall, WLL and weatherlink.com.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline bianconero57

• Contributor
    • Valdefensch@57
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2019, 04:44:10 AM »
thnx fo response
 :oops: Davis is aware since I reported this "bug" since last May! I'm up to date in the mobile version ... to note that on the first device configuration with 2 ISS and the problem was already persistent ... Davis told me about a bug corrected report instead of the decimal but it is irrelevant as it is ... my local dealer has no explanation ... I replaced my WWL and concern persite !! curious that I'm the only user has encountered this kind of bug  ](*,)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2019, 04:51:54 AM »
Does the rain gauge size match in the WLL configuration? Metric 0.2mm vs. Imperial 0.01 inch? Or is that an automatic setting in the WLL? In the display console it needs to be set manually.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 04:57:49 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2019, 05:08:06 AM »
Does the rain gauge size match in the WLL configuration? Metric 0.2mm vs. Imperial 0.01 inch? Or is that an automatic setting in the WLL? In the display console it needs to be set manually.

There's no way that it can be automatic - the gauge has no mechanism for reporting its increment to upstream devices. But wrong increment units only makes 20-25% difference to rainfall totals so it's not an explanation for more serious discrepancies.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline bianconero57

• Contributor
    • Valdefensch@57
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2019, 05:13:14 AM »
+1 Rainfall resolution is correctly configured on the console and in WWL settings (0.2mm)
affirmative 0.8mm vs/ 103.2 mm  #-o #-o

Offline bianconero57

• Contributor
    • Valdefensch@57
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2019, 05:06:55 AM »
 :?: :?: :?:
if display rain on my console matches the records on the cloud
it's still inexplicable why so much inconsistency at home while some of my "colleagues" weather
that I contacted and who also use the WWL have ok recordings on the mobile app and on the cloud ??
the answer given by the tech support of Davis ... I remain perplexed  :!: :!: :!:

anything