Author Topic: Severe Weather Incoming  (Read 1461 times)

Offline AbeH

Severe Weather Incoming
« on: August 22, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »
Currently my entire state is in a tornado watch and the storms are supposed to be pretty bad please refer to the image provided by weather.gov to get a idea of whats happening I will post videos as the storm as it progresses.

EDIT: couldnt get the image to show so just take a look at this link http://www.weather.gov/crh/weatherstory?sid=mpx&embed=#.VdjpB_lVgSU Also I live just 20 mins south of St. Cloud
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:30:10 PM by AbeH »

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Re: Severe Weather Incoming
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 06:13:01 PM »
Hi Abe,

I live in the cities in the Robbinsdale school district.  Robbinsdale Cooper had a gave moved to 3, but had lightning at 4:30.  We were ahead 40-0 so I am guessing the game is over.

You may have it worse than us tonight.

Welcome to Wxforum.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline AbeH

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »
Possibly there is alot of lightning Im in the City Of Elk River and by the looks of it there is a second line forming and they are saying the second line may have more Tornadic possibilities btw im 17 and have been interested in weather since I was about 5 I guess you could say im a weather fanatic I love storms and all the things they bring with them so this system tonight is making me excited!  :grin:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 07:56:22 PM »
If you havn't already, get GRlevel 3 its free for 14 days.
Randy

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 10:00:04 PM »
I had two storms Saturday morning.  The first storm had about finished fallen apart upon arrival and so only got .03" from it. But from the storm's last gasps came a very loud clap of thunder. It set off several breakers, so had to reset them. Fortunately, lightning didn't hit anything.

Later Saturday morning, not too long after dawn, another storm came through. It really meant business. It woke me up from repeated loud claps of thunder. Got 1.33" from it.  CATV and Internet out for several hours.  Electricity stayed on at my house with some power outages in town.  I got bypassed by a heavier part of the storm, since the Stillwater Airport got 3 in. of rain with a wind gust up to 64 mph.   I also got bypassed by the hail core, so that part of it was good. The wind only gusted to 26 mph, so that part was also good.  The north side of town got the brunt of the storm with picture showing tree blown across road.   Some locations to the north and northeast got over 5 in. of rain. 

Speaking of severe weather incoming, more storms are supposed to form in Kansas by early Sunday morning, in association with a front, and move down here.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 10:07:58 PM »
could have been worse.  Was glad to see schools be smart and change the times of games tonight.
Our HS game was called.  It was also 40-0 good guys.

Vikes game has been delayed because of lightning. Starting at 9:15. No half time. I have had 0.5 inches of rain.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline AbeH

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 10:28:45 PM »
What is GRlevel 3? can i get a link?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 11:57:52 PM »
https://www.google.com/

Its radar.  I just started using it myself, very cool tool during severe weather while watching the separate cells. Many different functions available. You will need to experiment with it.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:38:03 AM »
https://www.google.com/

Its radar.  I just started using it myself, very cool tool during severe weather while watching the separate cells. Many different functions available. You will need to experiment with it.
:lol:

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 04:27:24 PM »
Before going to bed Sat. night, a look at the radar suggested the Kansas storms were positioned too far to the east to affect me as they moved southeast. That was later proven true upon awakening this morning with zero registered in the rain gauge.  At least Tulsa, along with eastern parts of the state, got sometimes as much as an 1 in. of rain, or better, though.   Meanwhile,  the cooler than normal August weather for today and tomorrow is a delight.

Here's the newspaper story about the storm that did hit on Saturday morning:   http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/storm-batters-payne-county/article_0ebf0cde-4949-11e5-81c4-bf55401f9f46.html 
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 05:04:49 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline BigOkie

• Forecaster
  • Tulsa, OK
    • KOKTULSA13
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 11:17:51 PM »
Before going to bed Sat. night, a look at the radar suggested the Kansas storms were positioned too far to the east to affect me as they moved southeast. That was later proven true upon awakening this morning with zero registered in the rain gauge.  At least Tulsa, along with eastern parts of the state, got sometimes as much as an 1 in. of rain, or better, though.   Meanwhile,  the cooler than normal August weather for today and tomorrow is a delight.

Here's the newspaper story about the storm that did hit on Saturday morning:   http://www.stwnewspress.com/news/storm-batters-payne-county/article_0ebf0cde-4949-11e5-81c4-bf55401f9f46.html

Got just a little over a half inch on my station; most of that was between six and eight am.  Nothing that woke me up though.

Had been trying to get in some flight time with the hexacopter this weekend but the weather didn't cooperate.  Oh well, there will be other times.
Current setup: Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless
Weather radios:
Reecom R-1650
Sangean CL-100
Uniden Home Patrol I