Author Topic: Salt tolerance? Weather station at the beach...  (Read 1196 times)

Offline lizmnl

Salt tolerance? Weather station at the beach...
« on: January 04, 2018, 02:54:31 PM »
First post, newb here. We are about 100' from the ocean in Delaware. Lots of nor' easters, and a blizzard right now.I really, really want a weather station, mostly to check on the wind. I can put it on the rooftop deck, ~38', where it will basically be unobstructed. But I am concerned about salt tolerance. Budget is less than $400. I'd love a Davis Vue, and I read that they are pretty solidly built, but when you add on the internet connectivity accessories it starts getting pretty expensive. The Accurite 5 in 1 looks great too, but I don't know how it would hold up in my environment. Anyone have any beach experience?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Salt tolerance? Weather station at the beach...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 03:00:25 PM »
If you really want something that'll last, you're gonna have to open up the wallet, you get what you pay for. http://www.youngusa.com/products/11/8.html

Offline lizmnl

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 03:03:40 PM »
sigh. That's just not going to happen. Working two jobs as it is.  :-(

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 04:15:57 PM »
The classic conundrum.  Seaside with salt water environment is going to take heavy duty  stuff.  That one they make in Maine (I can't remember the name) would be the one I would use.  It would be worth saving up for.  A cheap station won't last long and add to your frustration.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:31:47 PM »
Rainwise is the brand of stations made right here in Maine. From what I’ve seen and heard, they’re great stations, but are definitely expensive.

If it were me I would go with the Davis Vue from one of these three websites...
 Scientific Sales
 Scaled Instruments
 Provantage

You’ll find great prices on the Vue at these locations, as well as good pricing on whichever data logger you decide to go with.
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:32 PM »
I've had a Davis VP1 at my location for 13 years, I'm about 500 yards from the coast (English Channel) and 130 feet up a hill and we get a lot of on shore wind here. OK not as big a sea as yours but my Davis is still going strong. My reservation on the VUE is that it's an all in one unlike the VP stations which means siting is a compromise.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »
The biggest potential problem I see using a Vue is if he wants to put it on the roof top, the whole ISS is subjected to the "rigors" of being up there, let alone servicing it. If he's going to go Davis, I would absolutely go VP2 with the remote anny and leave the ISS down on the ground where it belongs. Not only does he get a better ISS and the ability to site it properly, the anny would be the only thing up top.
Save up.

Offline Central Maine Weather

• Forecaster
    • Central Maine Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 06:13:40 PM »
I have a VP2 myself and couldn’t agree more about it being the better option, but with the OP’s mention of cost as an issue that’s why I suggested the Vue.

But I completely agree, if you can save up for a VP2 over the Vue then definitely do so! You’ll be glad you did!
Central Maine Weather | Manchester, ME, USA
Davis Vantage Pro2 w/24hr FARS & WeatherLink Live
CWOP ID GW1328
CoCoRAHS ID ME-KB-55
My YouTube Channel = https://www.youtube.com/@OffTrailMaine

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 08:56:27 PM »
I have had a Davis VP2 for 12 years 100 feet away from the water.  We have direct exposure to the North.  We have had storms that have coated our windows with salt so thick it was like looking through wax paper.  Still on my original anemometer.  Just this past month my temp/humidity sensor went out.  I have replaced a few reed switches over the years.  Simple DIY repair and Davis provides the part for free.  I maintain three other Davis VP2 systems as a contractor.  They have been virtually trouble-free for over 10 years.

So... Here is my opinion....  I wanted a weather station for a long time before I could afford it.  I also learned something when I was first married and started buying tools.  The most expensive tool in my shop was the cheapest when I bought it.  Many tools I replaced 3 times before this stubborn swede finally realized that if you buy quality in the beginning, it will last longer and therefore be cheaper in the long run.  At the same time, while you own that tool it performs better and results in a higher quality product....  Same applies with weather stations.  I may be biased, but proof is in the performance.  It is very accurate, great customer service and very durable even in a salt environment.

I have my anemometer mounted on a 30ft. mast and it's been up there for 12 years.  My ISS is on my deck so I can easily walk out and replace batteries and do basic maintenance without a ladder.  Being able to separate them is a real plus.

Oh....  and about that being able to afford it part....  I waited and whined...  consistently....  Until my wife bought me one for my birthday just to shut me up....  :lol:

Thought I'd Share,
Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:09:49 PM »
Many tools I replaced 3 times before this stubborn swede finally realized that if you buy quality in the beginning, it will last longer and therefore be cheaper in the long run. 
=D>

anything