Author Topic: Acurite 01015 Weather Station  (Read 5783 times)

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
Acurite 01015 Weather Station
« on: March 12, 2011, 11:20:59 AM »
OK, I know it isn't an ideal location being below the top of the pole but this was the most open area I had. It is about 260 ft. from the house and the base gets all 4 bars for signal strength. It is about 12 ft. off the ground. This pole doesn't have a transformer.

It is supposed to rain tomorrow and Monday. I'll try to check it against my manual weather gauge in the back yard and report back. The manual gauge is on a fence post about 6 ft. high.

The view is looking south into my neighbor's yard.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 11:23:03 AM by hdtvluvr »

Offline Gulfcoast

• Senior Contributor
Re: Acurite 01015 Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33:01 AM »
Good news... looks good.

Free advice... never compare hi-tech equipment with old manual guages, one or the other will be right and the other one will be wrong.

Just go with the data on the new equipment and be happy.   :grin:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 11:41:10 AM »
Well said Gulfcoast. I was just thinking of how to say something similar but couldn't find the words. Plus the two gauges used for comparison would need to be right up next to each other through many rains to get an idea. If you have any distance between them and it makes the comparison next to impossible.
Good job on the installation!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:21:29 PM by DanS »

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »
for the longest time i kept two gauges, rain specifically. Sometimes they'd be way off, i mean like waaaay off. I then was frustrated so i bought like 3 manual gauges and just randomly stuck them around the back yard. Waited on the afternoon storms (which is almost daily here in the summer, so it made the experiments easier), and over the course 3 days or so, i notices sometimes they were close, sometimes waaaaay off. Now three of my family members have a free rain gauge and i kept the one i had to begin with.

Someone in another forum i frequented at the time told me  "A man with two watches never knows the correct time".

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »
Someone in another forum i frequented at the time told me  "A man with two watches never knows the correct time".

I see what you mean.  The WU clock in your sig. seems to be three minutes slow  ;)

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »
Installation looks good! Let us know how it goes!

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:08:09 PM »
I think it is doing great. I just checked a station 9 miles away on WU. It says they got 0.65 inches of rain. My station has 0.67.

I know there we aren't close in distance or weather possibilities but since the numbers are very close, I'm satisfied. I will try to find a WU station (other another weather service) closer and see how my numbers match over the next few weeks.

I also have a wireless temp gauge with the sending unit on the west side of the house within an open porch. The temps between it and the weather station have been within 2 deg of each other. The wireless temp gauge reads to 1 decimal while the weather station is whole numbers.

I'm glad I got this unit. I hope it lasts a long time.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »
Man with two watches never knows what time it is.  Honestly - unless you are on the prairies, your readings will never be close.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!