Author Topic: WDL and VWS support is working  (Read 7149 times)

Offline aadamson

• N1IP's Live Weather
WDL and VWS support is working
« on: October 20, 2007, 07:57:23 PM »
All,

Probably tripped over you know what, but it's funny how or what kinds of tangents take place via the internet.

Background, I've been using VWS for years and really like it so changing ships wasn't an option.  I also have a Davis VP2 and the below is tailored to those 2 environments.

Anyway, long story short, I have VWS working with WDL and supporting rapid updates.  I basically hacked together a solution with perl to do some file translations from the wflash file to the clientraw.txt files.

While I don't have everything working, I do have the basics.  It's a very convoluted solution at the moment and basically flows like this.

a) VWS output a processed HTX file that looks exactly like a clientraw file (with a bunch of static non-changing elements hard coded into it - this file is only updated on 5 min intervals - this works for most of the slow changing elements that WDL displays, etc
b) VWS also puts out a wflash and wflash2 file - this is output right now on 30 sec intervals, but can be quickened
c) a perl script runs on my linux server and takes the clientraw file that is created by the HTX process in VWS, and the wflash file and updates the dynamic elements and writes it back to the clientraw file.  This is currently done on a 15 second interval, but also can be quickened

WDL then happily picks up the clientraw file and provides dynamic content via the flash tool.

Random NOTES:
- with the above, you can bypass the limitation that VWS has around outputing the HTX files fast enough, the wflash files provide the rapid updates.
- I have none of the historical data working in WDL as of yet, nor do I update any of the non-Davis specific content in the clientraw - these are just hard coded.
- Times and Dates and conversions are working
- I need to add support for wflash2 and some of it's dynamic content
- I know how to support clientrawextra, but haven't done it yet, so right now, I don't pick up sun/moon stuff or forecast text but am working on it.

Credit where credit is due... I actually started this based upon finding some early work that someone else did in another part of the world.  Problem with it. - it was based upon a very early clientraw format, and very early VWS html tags.  I've correct all of those.
- I also found an invaluable reference of VWS htmls tags to wflash and wflash2 file formats.  To this I've now added a mapping for clientraw and will most likely add the same for clientrawextra

Anyway, more as I develop this further....

To see it in all of it's terrible glory, you can check it out by doing to http://www.maxwinds.com/Broadcast.htm - I haven't licensed the WDL yet, so you'll get the evaluation banner and bear in mind not all of the slow changing content changes just yet.  But it will over time as I continue the work above.

Have fun, and let me know what you think.  I couldnt find this work anywhere else, so I started sorta from scratch (albiet based upon some prior work that wasn't completed).

Alan Adamson
Atlanta, GA

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: WDL and VWS support is working
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 08:41:52 PM »
Cool!   8-)

It begs the question though..

Was this a "just to see if I can get it to work" project or a "I'm going to try and save $60.00" project?   ;)
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 08:46:20 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Online saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 09:22:33 PM »
Alan, congratulations!  That was a great glue-ware project (right after my own heart  :grin: ).

Mark does have a point.. was this 'just for sport'?  With a little VirtualVP and Weather-Display (< $100 total), you could have run both VWS and WD together and pick-and-choose which parts you'd like to use.

Nevertheless, it is a great accomplishment!  Bravo (from a fellow Perl-slinger). UU

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline aadamson

• N1IP's Live Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »
I think mostly it's just in the spirit of "because you can".  Yes I could go buy WD and then WDL and then VP.  But for now I have as much fun hacking things together as I do making plug in things play.

One thing at a time as they say... :).  I now have a similar process working with VWS and spitting out an htx version of clientrawextra that also gets processed.  Now I just need to do some table stuffing and I should have the 2 primary files that WDL wants albiet stuff with VWS data :).

Oh, and if you guys are perl nuts... one of the best weather forecast layout modules that I've found is called Geo::WeatherNOAA.  You just feed it a city and state, and it does the rest... Very cool stuff.  I've used it for along time and my forecast page uses it.  I just cron job that script and redirect output to a file, then use an shtml to put the pieces back together again :)  see http://www.maxwinds.com/Forecast.shtml for an example.

Anyway, off to more hacking.... who knows, this might even be fun :)

Alan

Offline windy

• Grahams Beach Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 04:31:02 AM »
shouldnt this be in the VWS section of the forum?

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2007, 08:16:22 PM »
shouldnt this be in the VWS section of the forum?

;) Dr. West would probably rather it not be there.   :mrgreen:
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Meteorologica

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 03:24:08 PM »
Well you could have just purchased WeatherFlash and be done!