Author Topic: Can't download weather data from Davis Datalogger  (Read 7284 times)

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
Can't download weather data from Davis Datalogger
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:48:46 AM »
Hi,
I'm struggling with an issue about downloading weather data from Weatherlink 6.0.3.
I've got a WL IP hardware connected to a Davis Vantage Vue station consolle.
When on Weatherlink software I push data download button it asks me:
"Transfer 513 pages (100%) to your pc from Roma EUR? (each page holds up to 5 records.)"
I choose OK and download starts. It doesn't report problems.
When I open the "browse" page, as last data I see the following:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
31 September does not exist!!!
Finally, if I try to re-download data, it asks me again the same
"Transfer 513 pages (100%) to your pc from Roma EUR? (each page holds up to 5 records.)"
like nothing changed. It seems data are looked in the datalogger, and it is impossible to download them.
I checked time and date are the same on consolle and pc, I tried to remove batteries, remove the datalogger, disconnect from electric power the consolle and then restart it, but the problem is still there.
When I removed batteries, I noticed there was some acid, they had died! I don't know if this is what made this problem.
Can anyone help me?
Thank you,
Andrea
My weather Station in Rome:
http://www.romaeurmeteo.it/

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: Can't download weather data from Davis Datalogger
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »
Look in the WeatherLink station directory for files with the extension .wlk - and then delete any of those that have strange names - or names that are in the future.  Then try your download again.

If that doesn't work, then back up all the .wlk files, delete them, and try again.

If that doesn't work, then delete the DataLists.dat and DataSets.dat files and try again.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 09:01:12 PM »
Look in the WeatherLink station directory for files with the extension .wlk - and then delete any of those that have strange names - or names that are in the future.  Then try your download again.

If that doesn't work, then back up all the .wlk files, delete them, and try again.

If that doesn't work, then delete the DataLists.dat and DataSets.dat files and try again.

I tried to do these, but nothing, the problem is still there. In the "browse" page I keep seeing the same I posted in the screenshot, with data relating to 31 september. #-o

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 09:49:04 PM »
Then you will probably need to clear the data in the console/logger.  See the user guide for how to do that.

Since you have the WeatherLinkIP - are you also sending data to WeatherLink.com?  (what is your station ID?)

If so, you should be able to download archived data from WeatherLink.com

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 03:15:28 AM »
Yes, I always was sending data to weatherlink.com! This is my page: http://www.weatherlink.com/user/romaeur/index.php?view=summary&headers=1
I have heard about the possibility to download data from there, but I didn't understand how to do it.
So I have to clear datalogger memory and consolle memory?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 04:11:47 AM »
Why are people so reluctant to read the Weatherlink online help? Everything you need to know about downloading archive data from weatherlink.com is there.

See: Menu commands | Setup menu | Communications Port | 'To connect WeatherLinkIP through a Web Download'

Dalecoy has given some good advice, but if these steps don't help then don't clear the logger yet - that's really a last resort.

Have you rebooted the console yet? If not then do it.

You've clearly got a spurious record in your Sept data file - ie the one dated 31/9/2016 - delete that specific record (in Browse mode).

Create a new station and try downloading into that. Does it work?

IMO If you have a WLIP it's always better to download the archive data from weatherlink.com than direct from the logger - it's usually much faster and more reliable.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 04:13:24 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2016, 06:12:37 AM »
Why are people so reluctant to read the Weatherlink online help? Everything you need to know about downloading archive data from weatherlink.com is there.

See: Menu commands | Setup menu | Communications Port | 'To connect WeatherLinkIP through a Web Download'

Dalecoy has given some good advice, but if these steps don't help then don't clear the logger yet - that's really a last resort.

Have you rebooted the console yet? If not then do it.

You've clearly got a spurious record in your Sept data file - ie the one dated 31/9/2016 - delete that specific record (in Browse mode).

Create a new station and try downloading into that. Does it work?

IMO If you have a WLIP it's always better to download the archive data from weatherlink.com than direct from the logger - it's usually much faster and more reliable.

I did it!
I managed to download September data from weatherlink.com, and they came not corrupted! So, the problem is solved. I could clear the datalogger memory and it seems now that I can download also from there data, and they come not corrupted.
I don't know what could happen, but it seems it's ok now.
Downloading data from weatherlink.com is certainly faster, but you find some records skipped, perhaps because in those moments connection's gone down and didn't send data. For example, I got only 2 records for 11 september, and I had to insert manually the extrema (that I found on consolle memory).
I thank you guys who helped me, and I hope this problem won't appear again.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 06:58:12 AM »
Downloading data from weatherlink.com is certainly faster, but you find some records skipped, perhaps because in those moments connection's gone down and didn't send data. For example, I got only 2 records for 11 september, and I had to insert manually the extrema (that I found on consolle memory).

That's not really how it works. If there's a temporary network/upload issue then it should automatically catch up at the next available upload and maintain a complete archive history up to about 10,000 records maximum. It's more likely that there is another explanation eg the logger had some issue on that particular day and failed to log some records, though that's only one possibility.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 07:26:15 AM »

That's not really how it works. If there's a temporary network/upload issue then it should automatically catch up at the next available upload and maintain a complete archive history up to about 10,000 records maximum. It's more likely that there is another explanation eg the logger had some issue on that particular day and failed to log some records, though that's only one possibility.
Ah ok. It seems strange that datalogger has so frequent issues, because the data I downloaded have lot of records skipped, it is difficult to find a day with no skiopped lines. Mmmmh...

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 09:26:49 AM »
Ah ok. It seems strange that datalogger has so frequent issues, because the data I downloaded have lot of records skipped, it is difficult to find a day with no skiopped lines. Mmmmh...

TBH that starts to sound like a faulty logger, which is pretty rare but does happen very occasionally. How old is it? I would completely clear the logger and then reboot the console just to see if it's a fault that you can clear. Is the mains supply solid and spike-free?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

TBH that starts to sound like a faulty logger, which is pretty rare but does happen very occasionally. How old is it? I would completely clear the logger and then reboot the console just to see if it's a fault that you can clear. Is the mains supply solid and spike-free?

I bought it new in October 2014. I'm now thinking that I found the consolle bacteries completely died  (there was also some acid), and so I don't know how many time the consolle has been on thank to the only electric power. The mains supply has no rason not to be solid, the consolle has continued to send real time data (every one minute) to the weatherlink.com page, and also to wunderground.com, where the data archive is not uncomplete. After downloading data from weatherlink.com, I set again in setup like communication port  TCP/IP and tryed to download data: there were just 2 lines, with data from the last 20 minutes. Seems that logger memory has automatically been cleared. But I can do this try now, re-downloading data and rebooting the consolle, if it could help.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 10:46:55 AM by sheldon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 12:50:53 PM »
.... the consolle has continued to send real time data (every one minute) to the weatherlink.com page, and also to wunderground.com, where the data archive is not uncomplete.

[minor Note: it's the WeatherLinkIP logger that is sending data to WeatherLink.com - not the console]

What is your wunderground station ID?

Is the wunderground data coming from your console (local computer)?  Or is it being sent by the WeatherLink.com server?

because the data I downloaded have lot of records skipped, it is difficult to find a day with no skiopped lines

Please provide two or three examples (date and exact times) where your downloaded data has skipped entries, but Weather Underground does have data.

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2016, 06:18:56 AM »
My Wunderground station ID: ILAZIORO81

Wunderground data are being sent by the WeatherLink.com server.

Here there are two examples:
13 september:
Weatherlink
Wunderground

14 september:
Weatherlink
Wunderground

Anyway, I took a better look to "browse" page, and the only days that have problems are 11, 12, 13 and 14 September. Seems all remaining data are there.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 06:33:50 AM by sheldon »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2016, 10:15:28 AM »
Thanks for the very complete examples.  I appreciate the interesting information.

Without further testing - which undoubtedly isn't worth doing, because your system seems to be working now - there's no conclusion as to the cause.

But thanks!

Offline sheldon

• Roma EUR Meteo
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »
Thank you and johnd for helping me!

anything