Author Topic: Greg - Wind Smoke Rain Down Trees  (Read 566 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
Greg - Wind Smoke Rain Down Trees
« on: August 30, 2015, 10:33:37 PM »
Greg, and our Beloved Washington  state  has been hit hard this year.
First it was mudslides then fires and smoke.
Now Greg has been hit by high winds, and rain.
Trees have take  out power and internet and roadways (even i5) Greg's main road has downed trees.
Greg has generators and DSL backup, I think Greg is the exception of preparedness so he should be fine but I think Washington has had enough...
Maybe prayers and thoughts for Greg and a pretty stretched state of Washington.

Randall
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:53:46 PM by kaymann »

Offline yahtah

• Forecaster
  • Too soon old, too late smart.
Re: Greg - Wind Smoke Rain Down Trees
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:17:57 AM »
Thanks for the update, Randall! I sent SBW a contribution a week or two ago for Greg's great work. His time lapse photos are worth a donation if you can afford one, but the weather data Greg provides is nationally recognized.

Please help if you can!
-Lee

Davis VP2, Meteostick, RPi Meteohub, KCACALIF33
working on an RPi webcam and a 30 ft. flagpole...

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »
Thank you both for your concern and support.  We did just fine.  It was a 27 hour power outage, but we have a good Honda inverter generator and Centurylink phone and DSL (for backup) and Directv.  Of course my Comcast Internet was gone at the first flicker of lights.  We were even able to watch the Seahawks game... :)  However, so many others are not as fortunate.  This storm was SO unusual.  We never get winds like this at this time of year.  My system registered a 52mph gust.  Just north of us in the Rosario Strait the Coast Guard registered an 81mph gust.  It was a good blow.  There are still over 100,000 people without power.  Sadly, there were 2 fatalities.  A neighbor down the beach almost lost a very nice boat as it drifted anchor.  We had a small tree fall across our road, but that was an easy fix...  I have a little Kubota and a good chainsaw....  My son just missed the trees that blocked I5.  Thankfully nobody was hurt on that one.

Of course this is the photography forum, so I guess I owe some pics.. or videos… 

Here is a video looking north into Admiralty Inlet.  Believe it or not, it really started to blow AFTER I took this video: 

This is about a 3 minute time lapse showing the problems my neighbor was having with his boat.  He came within minutes of losing it.  You need to watch the bottom of the screen to see the boat drift anchor.

….. And it’s blowing pretty good again this morning… Just had a 34mph gust….  What happened to our beautiful summer…….  I haven’t had time to play with the images from Saturday, but if there is anything good, I’ll share….

Thanks again,
Greg

Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Offline GregJ

• Forecaster
    • http://www.SkunkBayWeather.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 11:15:38 AM »
Update....  I just looked out the window before going to work and his boat is drifting again....  It's so sad that folks think an anchor should just be a bunch of dead weight.  A neighbor on the other side of me has had his boat drift 3 times in the last 2 years....  He uses cement blocks and drags them out to where he wants to anchor....  I am assuming this is what the drifting boat this morning is anchored with.  For my little 15ft. fishing boat I pour a 400lb concrete anchor that is shaped like  /___\  ....  When it gets pulled, it digs in.  Also, I don't trust it until it has settled for a month or so.  I had a diver inspect it earlier this year and he said all but about 2" was buried.  I also have 15ft. of 5/8 galvanized long link mooring chain....   This guy could do a temporary fix by putting out a fluted anchor like a Danforth in addition to his blocks.  Every boat should have an anchor like that on board with 100 - 150ft of rode...  I'd love to go talk to him, but....  We have enough sidewalk supervisors around here.  Plus... I still have that day job thing to go to...  79 work days left... but who's counting...  :)

The 8:00 run just finished on my time lapse... Don't have time to put it up to Vimeo, but here is a direct link of his boat floating away again...:  http://www.skunkbayweather.com/Cam3Archive/Intraday_Video_1280x720_Cam0_20150831080816.mp4

Greg
Davis VP2 with VWS

"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." -- Mark Twain

Greg_M

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 01:14:23 PM »
The last photo the webcam took before we lost power. A little chop on The Hood Canal and the trees are not happy

anything