Author Topic: It's Here Already!  (Read 2992 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
It's Here Already!
« on: March 07, 2012, 05:53:52 AM »
Daylight Saving Time (United States) begins Sunday, March 11, 2012, 2:00am, and ends Sunday, November 4, 2012, 2:00am.

Except Arizona and Hawaii. Move your clocks ahead 1 hour in spring and back 1 hour in fall ("Spring forward, fall back").
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline JHellis

• Grandpa as drawn by Grandson
Re: It's Here Already!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
This side of 'the pond' we call it BSS (British Summer Time)

I hate this time change.

Not because of the lovely long light evenings.

No, the reason I hate it is because it generates several days of discussion in the media about whether or not we should do it, and if we do should we move forward two hours to match Europe (despite Europe having three time zones).

If we did this it would leave several European counties on GMT (UTC) whilst the country that has the Greenwich Meridian in it is at UTC +1!

This would be particularly odd as Northern Ireland would be on UTC +1 whilst The Republic of Ireland would be on UTC. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. NOT.

John
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
If we did this it would leave several European counties on GMT (UTC) whilst the country that has the Greenwich Meridian in it is at UTC +1!

That really WOULD seem strange!

This would be particularly odd as Northern Ireland would be on UTC +1 whilst The Republic of Ireland would be on UTC. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. NOT.

I never have understood that Ireland thing y'all have going over there.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:37 AM »

Offline JHellis

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 11:36:24 AM »

I never have understood that Ireland thing y'all have going over there.

[/quote]

It's simple really.
There are some folk who want to be Irish, there are some folk who want to be British.
There are some folk who are Catholic, there are some who are Protestant.
There are some who will never forgive England for the Prince William (a Dutch man)
There are people who will not forgive us for Bloody Sunday.

Actually, now I think about it I don't understand the whole Irish thing either!  :lol:

John
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 03:56:35 PM »
This will be my first DST change since I put up the Davis VP2. How well does the console handle the time change?

Greg

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline SylvaniaWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • SylvaniaWeather
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 06:31:49 AM »
Never had a problem with my Davis Vantage Pro2 and time changes.  Mine's been online since 2007

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:06 AM »
If your firmware is up to date, it takes care of itself. There was one version of firmware that had the older start and end times of DST that had to be replaced.

I think that the following Monday should be a holiday......so we can all get ourselves re-sync'ed.  =D> =D> =D>

« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:56:10 AM by Garth Bock »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »
Daylight Saving Time (United States) begins Sunday, March 11, 2012, 2:00am, and ends Sunday, November 4, 2012, 2:00am.

Except Arizona and Hawaii. Move your clocks ahead 1 hour in spring and back 1 hour in fall ("Spring forward, fall back").

There's probably folks still finding things here and there to set ahead an hour.  It always seemed to me that once you get everything right and you get used to the change it would be approaching the change-back time again. #-o

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:09 PM »

There's probably folks still finding things here and there to set ahead an hour.  It always seemed to me that once you get everything right and you get used to the change it would be approaching the change-back time again. #-o

Or, just after you get all of those devices set the power goes off and then you have to stare at all of those blinking 12:00 red, green and blue LED/LCD screens and start all over again...  ](*,)
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:26:06 PM »
Or, just after you get all of those devices set the power goes off and then you have to stare at all of those blinking 12:00 red, green and blue LED/LCD screens and start all over again...  ](*,)

I've found that for the most part, a strip of electrical tape will fix the flashing led problem.   :roll:
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline JHellis

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 12:35:07 PM »
Yea, a strip of electrical tape works for me as well.

But I am retired, so I don't have to get up at silly o'clock!  =D>
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger