Author Topic: Cumulus and Davis Pro Advantage  (Read 7896 times)

Offline paleoguy

• Bob, Angola, NY
    • Angola Conservatory
Cumulus and Davis Pro Advantage
« on: April 16, 2012, 05:20:45 AM »
Just getting back into wx after a winter's stay in sunnier locales.  I've been given a very nice Davis Pro Advantage (wired version) plus the conversion cable that goes from the Davis to a USB port on my computer.  The monitor is up and running perfectly with anemometer on a 24 ft. high mast.  I had been told that the station would work with Cumulus but, after 2 days of fighting it, it doesn't communicate/recognize the Davis. 

Cumulus gives an 'Error 32701; while trying to initialize station.  Please check your connections and settings.'  The Keyspan conversion cable appears to be functioning properly, with blinking green led, and I've tried both settings on Cumulus for USB and Series connections.  I've also downloaded the driver for the cable to my XP pc.

Any suggestions out there from you software guru's?
Angola Conservatory
Davis Vantage Pro, Cumulus, XP
CWOP DW8733, WU KNYANGOL4, PWS ANGCON

Offline JHellis

• Grandpa as drawn by Grandson
Re: Cumulus and Davis Pro Advantage
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:12:07 AM »
Hi

I run a Vantage Vu happily with Cumulus.

This is my Cumulus set up, I hope that this may help you.

John
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Offline moehoward4

• Forecaster
  • Jack in SE MA.
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 07:34:55 AM »
You have to tell WeatherLink that you want to use 'serial' port instead of 'USB', Cumulus won't work with a USB comport.
3 Davis set-ups...which one ya wanna talk about? And I got ALL my manuals....

Offline JHellis

• Grandpa as drawn by Grandson
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »
It will if the cable has a Serial to USB interface, which I am assuming Paleoguy has as he mentioned the flashing red LED. But I am not using the Davis data logger, perhaps you have to tell the data logger to use Serial output.
Davis Vantage Vue
Belfryboy Data Logger

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:48:44 PM »
This from a recent post on the Sandaysoft.com/forum (Cumulus)

Steve - here is a step by step description of converting a Davis VP2 from USB to serial mode. Feel free to add/share this anywhere you see fit.

1. Disregard any information about downloading a CP210X driver from Davis or directly from Silicon Labs. This is a pathway to insanity.
2. Go to the Davis website and download the latest version of the WeatherLink Updater at: http://www.davisnet.com/support/weather ... _sftwr.asp
3. Disconnect the Data Logger
4. Run the updater program
5. The Updater will install the "manufacturing.dll" and the CP210X Serial Converter
6. Reconnect the Data Logger
7. Go to your Start Menu and run the "CP210X USB to Serial Converter" in the WeatherLink Group
8. Go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> Device Manager
9. Click on Ports
10. Click on Silicon Labs CP210x USB to UART Bridge
11. Select properties
12. Click on Port Settings
13. Set to 19200 (if not already)
14. Note the Com Port number also
15. Procede with Cumulus Install

Note. If you don't know your data logger Archive Interval Setting, run the WL setup screen to find/set it to the desired interval. Unfortunately, if you change the setting it will flush the Archive Memory. I guess this is the price of forgetfulness.

Paul

anything