Author Topic: Is there a PWS you can plug into a router?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline NH511

Is there a PWS you can plug into a router?
« on: November 25, 2010, 06:35:16 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a PWS.  My job requires me to 'read' the weather around state in real time.

Wunderground sites assist me in making critical decisions and I would love to set up a station at the house in order to read trending.

The wireless PWS appeals to me, but I do not want to leave my computer on all the time.

Is it possible to have data sent directly to my wireless router (it has a USB port)? 

Or, do you need a computer to interpret and then send data to WU?

My goal is to access my weather info from the internet, it is not important to me to gain access from my home computer (I could do that by signing on to WU).

I have spent 6 hours trying to get an answer to this, you all are my last hope.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks! 

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Re: Is there a PWS you can plug into a router?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 06:40:46 AM »
For Davis stations there is the Weatherlink IP
http://www.davisnet.com/weather/products/weather_product.asp?pnum=06555

For many other (but also including Davis), you can go with something like this.  WeatherHub2
http://www.ambientweather.com/weambnslu2.html

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline daswx

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 07:22:11 AM »
FWIW...... I've been using Davis WeatherLink IP with the Vantage Vue for about 2 months now.....
No problems....Easy to set up and once it's registered, data output is continuous per whatever upload interval you choose....I send data out every 60 seconds to the Davis site......
Eventually I may dedicate one of my older PCs to "constant-on" weather duty...but for now it's easier to just upload the data directly from the Vue console (I still archive the data in software....).

Offline NH511

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:49:36 AM »
Thanks for the info.  It appears there are no PWS's you can plug into the router.  You have to purchase a data link. 

I appreciate your help.

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 10:34:23 AM »
Well i do not understnad the adversion to leaving a computer running. I have three that run 24/7.   An alternative is to get a cheap net book and use it as the logger and interface.

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:54:34 AM »
Well i do not understnad the adversion to leaving a computer running. I have three that run 24/7.   An alternative is to get a cheap net book and use it as the logger and interface.

My wife and I each have an all-purpose PC running 24/7, but the power consumption is significant over time.  I can understand his not wanting to leave it on while away, especially during the thunderstorm season.

What I question, though, is his aversion to purchasing the Davis WeatherLinkIP datalink (aside from the added cost, of course).  Consider it a package deal and part of the weather station itself.  Doing it modularly allows more flexibility for different installations (serial/USB/IP), and it allows those who don't need their weather on the Internet to not be required to pay the extra money for something they won't use.  The WeatherLinkIP doesn't require a computer except for the initial setup and can be configured to upload to Weather Underground which archives and graphs the data.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 12:25:19 PM »
My netbook runs 365 days a year.  Minimal, (as in 5-10  watts/hr) power use.  Further reduced by sending it to sleep when not used.  Pennies a day.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
The Weather Direct site no longer works but I have the equipment it used.  The console is a LaCrosse 2513.  It has an outdoor TX50U sensor.  The gateway, that plugs into the Ethernet router, is a GW-1000U.  http://www.weatherdirect.com/2513  There is no connection to a computer.  None of this matters though because there's no longer any support from Weather Direct. 
I had a site set up on Weather Direct that received my temperature.  I received time and temperature plus forecast from Weather Direct.
System info: http://www.weatherdirect.com/ I do not recommend this system, it is not working.  If anyone else has experience with Weather Direct, what's happening?
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:41:28 PM »
This is what I saw on their site a moment ago:

Weather Direct Migration Update

Thank You for your continued patience as we work through the Weather Direct server migration. We regret any inconvenience this process has caused. As of today (Nov 29th), we feel the new hardware is once again stable.

So what's next? Over the next serveral weeks, we will continue to closely monitor Weather Direct and make adjustments, which may affect system performance periodically. To make these adjustment periods less stressful for everyone, a notice will be posted here to indicate when we are working on the system. If a notice is posted, you may want to wait and try again after the changes are complete.

Thanks again for being a part of the Weather Direct family!

The Weather Direct Team (WN)

anything