Author Topic: Which Software  (Read 4229 times)

Offline jliddil

Which Software
« on: July 18, 2010, 08:15:37 PM »
I have had my Davis Vantage Vue for a few weeks and go the USB Weatherlink and configured it to update WeatherUnderground. That works well.But I find the Weatherlink software a bit crude and dated looking including the graphics and web templates. And if I want to configure RapidFire updates it seems to tie up the software so I can't so other analysis.

So what about the other options and the Pros and Cons?

* Virtual Weather Station
    * Weather Display
    * Weather View 32
    * WSWin32

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
Re: Which Software
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »
I've used VWS, WD, and WL and you really can't go wrong with WD or VWS. WD seems to have more options and more tags, but VWS seems a little easier to get going. There are pre-made templates for both software packages and plenty of support for both.

My primary live updates are done via VWS although I do have WD running and updating other things.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
jliddil,
Cumulus is also a very good start, and a great support forum as well.

Paul

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
I'd also recommend Cumulus. v1 is established and reliable and v2 has been in beta for some time but still being developed. C2 uses SilverLink for an attractive real-time display which some may prefer to WD Live.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »
you could use VVP and run more that one at the same time

with WD you build up a very nice climate data base that the software provides advanced reports for
(e.g detailed rain and detailed climate reports)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 02:15:37 PM »
I'd also recommend Cumulus. v1 is established and reliable and v2 has been in beta for some time but still being developed. C2 uses SilverLink for an attractive real-time display which some may prefer to WD Live.

I am getting ready to buy WDL. I already have WD and VWS. Should I hold off on my purchase? I have Weather Flash but have had trouble with it and have not heard from support.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 02:22:54 PM »
I am getting ready to buy WDL. I already have WD and VWS. Should I hold off on my purchase? I have Weather Flash but have had trouble with it and have not heard from support.
If you're happy with WD then adding WDL makes sense if you're happy with the price. I have my own opinion of WD but that's not relevant here.

But why not try Cumulus and C2? They're both donationware. If you have VirtualVP you can run up to 4 weather programs. Cumulus has a very clean look and the Silverlight app in C2 looks brilliant. Steve (the author) is also planning C2 to run as a service which means you can run it on a networked PC.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 02:29:56 PM »
I was evaluating WDL ( http://www.daculaweather.com/wdl_new.html ) but I might try the Silverlight part just to see how easy it is to get to work. The only reason I would do WDL is to have something a little different. I would always consider it a secondary option for viewing current conditions. It does look nice and has a smooth motion to the gauges.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 05:32:15 PM »
I was evaluating WDL ( http://www.daculaweather.com/wdl_new.html ) but I might try the Silverlight part just to see how easy it is to get to work. The only reason I would do WDL is to have something a little different. I would always consider it a secondary option for viewing current conditions. It does look nice and has a smooth motion to the gauges.
If you want to see Silverlight click the link in my sig, scroll down to Realtime and click it. Unfortunately there is little wind here at present but the display is also smooth (and free although donations are appreciated by Steve). :grin:

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2010, 05:36:05 PM »
How is it to setup and configure?

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »
How is it to setup and configure?
If you mean Silverlight it's just a Microsoft download. Straight-forward to install and one or two files that need uploading to your web server. I just used the standard Cumulus web pages to display it. I have absolutely no HTML skills at all and what you see is only slightly different from the defaults.

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 05:54:08 PM »
Garth,

What trouble do you have with WeatherFlash?  I have been using it since it first came out and have had no problems.  The only issue was when I switched from PHP 4 to PHP 5.  Chanced the code to meet PHP 5 standards and it worked.  I even went from ASP to PHP with a different host and the switch went flawless.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 08:24:51 PM »
I was kind of wishing Silverlight would die.... or be really really....successful.   Nexstorm is developing the nextgen of Stormvue in silverlight.  Being on a locked down desktop at work, it would probably take years to get Silverlight installed, and by then the version would be outdated.  So on the flip side if it was really successful, maybe that would push the IT folks.

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

anything