Author Topic: 6046 display with lightning  (Read 727 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
6046 display with lightning
« on: April 15, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
I wasn't getting very many lightning indications on this system, and noticed the lightning sensitivity on the display was set to "10". What is it supposed to be on? I have it on 60 right now... I can't find any recommended settings?
There was lightning twice now since I got this, and the first storm had lightning overhead, and didn't read any strikes. Last night there were probably more than 50 and it read 8. The Atlas read 24...

Offline giveme5

Re: 6046 display with lightning
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 03:12:28 PM »
Can't say anything about display, but as far as Atlas is concerned, it detects strikes within 5 to 22 miles. Strikes over 22 come back as interference, and strikes closer than 5 miles or so are undetected.
Pretty much useless gadget.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:18:37 AM »
I have both the 5n1 lightning add on and the atlas. WIth the display I have that comes with the 5n1 and lightning sensor, you must go into the display and adjust the sensitivity up to like 90. The display is now showing lightning incoming 23 miles away.

My atlas lightning mileage is a little off at times, showing 1 mile when the lightning is 30 miles out.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 01:39:32 PM »
Can't say anything about display, but as far as Atlas is concerned, it detects strikes within 5 to 22 miles. Strikes over 22 come back as interference, and strikes closer than 5 miles or so are undetected.
Pretty much useless gadget.

So you're saying the AS3935 specs are wrong?

Offline giveme5

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 06:45:31 PM »

No, I'm just saying it doesn't work as specified.
The most disappointing is accuracy at close ranges (very often at 0%).

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »

No, I'm just saying it doesn't work as specified.
The most disappointing is accuracy at close ranges (very often at 0%).

The AS3935 isn't intended to accurately measure individual strikes, but more to estimate the distance to the head of the storm.

I find they work very well when you graph the data in relation to an oncoming storm.

https://ams.com/as3935

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 08:08:32 PM »
I wasn't getting very many lightning indications on this system, and noticed the lightning sensitivity on the display was set to "10". What is it supposed to be on? I have it on 60 right now... I can't find any recommended settings?

I've no idea.  I haven't heard of anybody talk about such a setting before.

It wouldn't have anything to do the the AS3935 settings of the remote sensor.  Maybe it ignores readings from the sensor until they reach a certain intensity.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 07:55:39 AM »

I've no idea.  I haven't heard of anybody talk about such a setting before.

It wouldn't have anything to do the the AS3935 settings of the remote sensor.  Maybe it ignores readings from the sensor until they reach a certain intensity.

It's no wonder when you read some of the reviews, people who comment say the device is not working well. I find the thermometer and humidity output to be very accurate.