Author Topic: How to Install for Accurate temperature  (Read 2145 times)

Offline CherylK

How to Install for Accurate temperature
« on: March 16, 2019, 08:18:25 PM »
 Hello I am a new WeatherStation enthusiast having received my Acurite 5-in-1 for Christmas this past year. I absolutely love it but I'm a little frustrated and I'm hoping I can get some good advice here.

A few weeks after installing the device it started making a ticking noise when the fan would spin so Acurite solved that by sending me a new cup assembly. After I had that installed I began to notice that the temperature reading was 5 to 9° warmer than the traditional thermometer that I have as well as NOAA reports. So I contacted Acurite again and they sent me yet another cup assembly to replace.

So I did replace it but the temperature issue remains. And I'm wondering if I have the sensor installed incorrectly? It is in full sun about 8 feet in the air. Acurite hasn't mentioned anything about how it is installed - they haven't even asked so I'm not sure if that is a concern or not.

I've read through their online documentation and have seen references to not mounting it in direct sun however there are also instructions about mounting the sensor that say absolutely nothing about the sun. So I'm just not sure.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome thank you!

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
Re: How to Install for Accurate temperature
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 10:53:43 PM »
Hello I am a new WeatherStation enthusiast having received my Acurite 5-in-1 for Christmas this past year. I absolutely love it but I'm a little frustrated and I'm hoping I can get some good advice here.

A few weeks after installing the device it started making a ticking noise when the fan would spin so Acurite solved that by sending me a new cup assembly. After I had that installed I began to notice that the temperature reading was 5 to 9° warmer than the traditional thermometer that I have as well as NOAA reports. So I contacted Acurite again and they sent me yet another cup assembly to replace.

So I did replace it but the temperature issue remains. And I'm wondering if I have the sensor installed incorrectly? It is in full sun about 8 feet in the air. Acurite hasn't mentioned anything about how it is installed - they haven't even asked so I'm not sure if that is a concern or not.

I've read through their online documentation and have seen references to not mounting it in direct sun however there are also instructions about mounting the sensor that say absolutely nothing about the sun. So I'm just not sure.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome thank you!

I would wonder if your aspirator fan is running or running properly. The 5-in-1 is designed to be in the sun. The sun hits the solar panel/panels, which powers the aspirator fan that compensates for any radiating heat from the sun hitting the unit. You can check if the fan is running by listening for a quiet hum from the 5-in-1 when the sun is on the unit.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:17:59 AM »
Are you using the 2-panel or single panel design?

Are the panels facing south?

What is beneath the unit?  Grass, concrete, shingles, etc?

Offline CherylK

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 05:21:42 AM »
It has one panel, it faces South, and there are grass, shrubs, and paving stones all within a 5' radius of the base of the mast.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 05:27:37 AM »
It has one panel, it faces South, and there are grass, shrubs, and paving stones all within a 5' radius of the base of the mast.

Does it tend to overheat in the morning and evening?

Also, are you in the north or south of Florida?

Offline CherylK

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 05:37:22 AM »
It's only wrong when the sun is on it...it gets sun from about 9-6..but only if it's hot outside...like over 78' or so...I think that's why I didn't notice it in January.

I'm in central Florida on the coast. Just south of Tampa.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 05:50:00 AM »
Well, my guess is that you need the two-panel unit. 

In the lower latitudes, the sun may not be striking the single-panel unit directly enough in the mornings and evenings, causing the aspiration fan to stop running and overheat.  The two-panel unit was designed specifically for low-latitude installations.  I'm surprised Acurite didn't mention if they realized that you are in Florida.

Grass and shrubs under the unit should be fine and are preferred, but I'm not quite sure how large your paving stones are.  If they aren't the majority of the material underneath, you should be OK.  You just don't want a lot of stuff reflecting light back on the unit, or storing heat and releasing it later in the day.

The only other thing I can think of is if you're near a large mirrored structure that is reflecting intense light back onto the unit during the course of the day in an urban area.

Hope this helps!

Offline CherylK

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 07:08:02 AM »
I'm not surprised, so far their customer service has not impressed me.

My pool is about 10' from the base of the mast...could that cause a problem?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 08:10:51 AM »
No, the pool is fine.

You need the two solar panel model as mentioned. Once the fan stops in the evening, your temperature will shoot up since the sun is still shining and baking the side of the 5 in 1, especially in Florida. When the morning sun rises, the fan does not start for a few hours after, and by that time, as you have pointed out, the 5 in 1 is way too hot.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 01:56:11 PM »
Just curious, is your station online and reporting to Weather Underground? Being able to see a chart of the temperatures during the day would be helpful. If not do the temperatures improve when the sun is higher in the sky and directly shining on the solar panel? If they don't then there is a good chance that the fan simply isn't working (a warranty issue).

Regardless I'm guessing that buying a new weather station to replace the one you just bought isn't the answer you were looking for...

In the lower latitudes, the sun may not be striking the single-panel unit directly enough in the mornings and evenings, causing the aspiration fan to stop running and overheat.  The two-panel unit was designed specifically for low-latitude installations. 

That's the first time I've heard that, does Acurite mention it anywhere in their sales literature?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 01:59:06 PM »
Just curious, is your station online and reporting to Weather Underground? Being able to see a chart of the temperatures during the day would be helpful. If not do the temperatures improve when the sun is higher in the sky and directly shining on the solar panel? If they don't then there is a good chance that the fan simply isn't working (a warranty issue).

Regardless I'm guessing that buying a new weather station to replace the one you just bought isn't the answer you were looking for...

In the lower latitudes, the sun may not be striking the single-panel unit directly enough in the mornings and evenings, causing the aspiration fan to stop running and overheat.  The two-panel unit was designed specifically for low-latitude installations. 

That's the first time I've heard that, does Acurite mention it anywhere in their sales literature?

No.  That's from the beta period.

When the 2-panel unit was released, they just called it an "upgrade", which was unfortunate, because it sometimes doesn't work so well in higher latitudes at mid-day.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 02:31:16 PM »

No.  That's from the beta period.

When the 2-panel unit was released, they just called it an "upgrade", which was unfortunate, because it sometimes doesn't work so well in higher latitudes at mid-day.
Thanks! That's good to know. I sometimes regret not getting the two panel unit but since I'm at 47.7 deg north I'm probably better off with the single panel.

It does seem like something Acurite should mention in their sales literature so people don't buy the wrong station right from the get go.

Offline CherylK

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 02:33:10 PM »
Just curious, is your station online and reporting to Weather Underground? 

It is not online...I tried when I got it, but apparently I need to buy something else in order to do that.  UNLESS you know otherwise :-) 

I opened a ticket with Acurite, asked them what they think of the "2 panel" theory...still waiting for a reply.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »
Just curious, is your station online and reporting to Weather Underground? 

It is not online...I tried when I got it, but apparently I need to buy something else in order to do that.  UNLESS you know otherwise :-) 

I opened a ticket with Acurite, asked them what they think of the "2 panel" theory...still waiting for a reply.

Thanks everyone!

To (easily) get it online you need one of these: https://www.acurite.com/access-my-acurite-remote-monitoring.html
There are other ways but the above is the easiest, least technical.

I'm still curious if your temperatures improve when the sun is shining directly on the solar panel.

Offline CherylK

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »

I'm still curious if your temperatures improve when the sun is shining directly on the solar panel.

Well, I went out and checked...today is  an overcast coolish day, only 73, and the sensor reading is right on...aligns perfectly with my old thermometer and the local Wx Underground report.

This problem clearly has something to do with overheating...it seems to be inaccurate when the temperature is warmer than 78' or so.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:21 PM »
Cheryl,

What kind of batteries are in the 5n1? Some kinds of batteries affect the thermo/hygro sensor and throw it off I've found in hot weather. I suggest batteries that are name brand, such as Energizer, Duracell, Everready, or Rayovac.

If you have those already installed, take them out and you will see a switch in the compartment with A B C selections. Take note of where the switch is. Next move it back and forth, then put it back where it was, and install the batteries again. This will do a reset of the unit.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 03:04:50 PM »
Just a thought, but did you check to make sure no spiders or other insects have blocked the "wind tunnel" below the fan?  That can cause overheating just a sure as a broken fan.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 03:17:35 PM »
She said she changed fan assemblies more than once, and the issue is the same, so the likelihood the fan motors themselves are the culprit is very low.

If the temperature is correct part of the time, like around 10 AM to 5 PM, this suggests the sun is not keeping the fan going during the times when the sun is east to west.

If that is not the case, then the unit may have a faulty thermo/hygro chip, or need to be reset like I suggested.

Offline CherylK

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 03:18:50 PM »
Just a thought, but did you check to make sure no spiders or other insects have blocked the "wind tunnel" below the fan?  That can cause overheating just a sure as a broken fan.

What kind of batteries are in the 5n1? Some kinds of batteries affect the thermo/hygro sensor and throw it off I've found in hot weather. I suggest batteries that are name brand, such as Energizer, Duracell, Everready, or Rayovac.

If you have those already installed, take them out and you will see a switch in the compartment with A B C selections. Take note of where the switch is. Next move it back and forth, then put it back where it was, and install the batteries again. This will do a reset of the unit.

Because Acurite has asked me to replace the cup assembly twice in the past 6 weeks, I have had occasion to reset the sensor, ensure high quality fresh batteries are in it, and ask the little white spider that was in there to please move out...he did.

Offline CherylK

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 03:20:36 PM »
If that is not the case, then the unit may have a faulty thermo/hygro chip, or need to be reset like I suggested.

Where is that chip located?  Once I removed the cup assembly, it seemed like the only thing left was the plastic body...so I assumed the chip was in that assembly.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
Well, I went out and checked...today is  an overcast coolish day, only 73, and the sensor reading is right on...aligns perfectly with my old thermometer and the local Wx Underground report.

This problem clearly has something to do with overheating...it seems to be inaccurate when the temperature is warmer than 78' or so.
Okay, thanks. Doesn't sound like a good day for testing. Hopefully Acurite will be able to find an acceptable solution for you.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »

Where is that chip located?  Once I removed the cup assembly, it seemed like the only thing left was the plastic body...so I assumed the chip was in that assembly.

It's just above the vent on the bottom of the sensor housing. Once you separate the two halves of the unit, you can see the chip down in the tunnel where the fan draws the air up from the vent.

Offline mikemaps

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 05:45:14 PM »
Another possible culprit, if the station is too close to the house & it’s getting a lot of sun, the house may be reflecting the heat back to the unit. If you move it further from the house, that might help.

Offline CherylK

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2019, 03:04:41 PM »
Another possible culprit, if the station is too close to the house & it’s getting a lot of sun, the house may be reflecting the heat back to the unit. If you move it further from the house, that might help.
Thanks for the suggestion!  It is currently about 15' from any structure.

Offline CherylK

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 08:10:36 AM »
Just wanted to let you all know that Acurite is sending me a new temperature board.  If that doesn't fix it they said I should upgrade to the 2panel sensor...SO I'll let you all know how the story ends in a few weeks :)  Thanks for your help!

anything