Author Topic: review of the Atlas  (Read 1788 times)

Offline txbayou

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
  • AcuRite Atlas (wind ext. & lightning detector)
Re: review of the Atlas
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 02:30:39 PM »
https://www.weatherstationadvisor.com/acurite-atlas-weather-station-review/

Nice review. I was one that went through the whole lightning strike problem and Acurite repaired it with no issues since and promptly. This review is very accurate with what I have experienced so far with the Atlas and I had a 5-in-1 that preceded the Atlas.

Offline Neil_O

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 06:50:40 PM »
I agree that this is a fair and accurate review of Atlas; especially the outdoor unit.  The reviewer may have missed a few of the nuisances of the display which have drawn some complaints: unusual reporting of rainfall totals (e.g., 48 hour total), unusual rounding of max and min temperatures, lack of battery backup, etc.  Having lived through an early unit with the false lightening strikes, I think the reviewer may have somewhat overblown this problem which AcuRite diagnosed and fixed very quickly.  However, on the whole, I think it's quite a fair review. 

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 06:46:45 PM »
I agree that this is a fair and accurate review of Atlas; especially the outdoor unit.  The reviewer may have missed a few of the nuisances of the display which have drawn some complaints: unusual reporting of rainfall totals (e.g., 48 hour total), unusual rounding of max and min temperatures, lack of battery backup, etc.  Having lived through an early unit with the false lightening strikes, I think the reviewer may have somewhat overblown this problem which AcuRite diagnosed and fixed very quickly.  However, on the whole, I think it's quite a fair review.

I have to agree about the lack of a backup battery. Have having to deal with multiple power outages due to storms, having to reset it is very 1980s. Although not part of the Atlas, the Access has failed 100% of the time to come back online after an outage (I have two). My Fine Offset clone comes on without any assistance and has a back-up battery. I had to send in four units due to the "recall" and that was a very huge pain for a customer to deal with. When it works, it has done a good job.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 07:23:04 PM »
Wow...the review must have really helped with sales of the Atlas package!  ;)

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Pags4272

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 01:22:30 PM »

Nice review. I was one that went through the whole lightning strike problem and Acurite repaired it with no issues since and promptly. This review is very accurate with what I have experienced so far with the Atlas and I had a 5-in-1 that preceded the Atlas.

I just purchased the Atlas. I owned the original 5 in 1 for several years however now that service ended for the smarthub i decided it would be more efficient to just buy the whole new package. I was wondering what the "repair" was for the lightning detector, in case i run into this issue.  Do you need to send it back to them to fix?  What are the chances i have the problem too? Thanks
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNYPOMON8&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNYPOMON8&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »

I just purchased the Atlas. I owned the original 5 in 1 for several years however now that service ended for the smarthub i decided it would be more efficient to just buy the whole new package. I was wondering what the "repair" was for the lightning detector, in case i run into this issue.  Do you need to send it back to them to fix?  What are the chances i have the problem too? Thanks

If you bought it through Acurite, there is no charge for them to fix it because it would be under warranty. You will need to send it to them for them to fix it, which is what I did. I bought mine when they first came out, so mine was an early one with the issue. If you buy from Acurite directly, they have already fixed the issue and are only selling one's with the fix. If you buy from somewhere else, like Amazon, there is no guarantee and the warranty does not apply as far as I understand.

Offline Pags4272

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 01:35:05 PM »

If you bought it through Acurite, there is no charge for them to fix it because it would be under warranty. You will need to send it to them for them to fix it, which is what I did. I bought mine when they first came out, so mine was an early one with the issue. If you buy from Acurite directly, they have already fixed the issue and are only selling one's with the fix. If you buy from somewhere else, like Amazon, there is no guarantee and the warranty does not apply as far as I understand.

Thanks! Unfortunately i bought through Amazon (whole package was $250) i guess that comes with risk... Hopefully they aren't still sending out old versions with the defect.  One follow up question, is the defect in the small lighting detector itself or did you have you to send them the entire atlas back?  If it's just the sensor i won't be too upset if i have to buy a working one through AcuRite directly... Thanks again for the quick reply!
<object width="290" height="130"><param name="movie" value="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNYPOMON8&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" /><embed src="http://www.wunderground.com/swf/pws_mini_rf_nc.swf?station=KNYPOMON8&freq=&units=english&lang=EN" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="290" height="130" /></object>

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »

Thanks! Unfortunately i bought through Amazon (whole package was $250) i guess that comes with risk... Hopefully they aren't still sending out old versions with the defect.  One follow up question, is the defect in the small lighting detector itself or did you have you to send them the entire atlas back?  If it's just the sensor i won't be too upset if i have to buy a working one through AcuRite directly... Thanks again for the quick reply!

Yea, there is risk there because you truly do not know what you are getting because Amazon is just a reseller and the sellers on Amazon cannot always be trusted. With your question. There was never an issue with the lightning detector itself, but a wiring issue with the aspirator fan in the main unit causing interference that triggered the lightning detector. I did need to send back the entire Atlas.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 01:41:01 PM by Mirwin275 »

Offline Pags4272

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 02:01:19 PM »

Yea, there is risk there because you truly do not know what you are getting because Amazon is just a reseller and the sellers on Amazon cannot always be trusted. With your question. There was never an issue with the lightning detector itself, but a wiring issue with the aspirator fan in the main unit causing interference that triggered the lightning detector. I did need to send back the entire Atlas.

Thanks again for the info... Fingers crossed i get an updated version

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »
Page472-- It would be unbelievable to me if Acurite refused you warranty coverage just because you purchased your unit on Amazon. After all, Acurite is making plenty of money producing and selling the units that are being sold on Amazon. I would just make sure I bought it from an Amazon and probably not from no-name seller on Amazon. Of course Acurite would much prefer to sell you the Atlas direct so that they can maximize their profits on the item by being producer and retailer-- and at typically higher prices than Amazon. (Sometimes a better deal can be had on the Acurite site when they are running specials).

I personally think it's also a good idea with a weather station to get the after market extended warranty. They are pretty inexpensive-- about $13 for 4 years.

Offline Pags4272

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2019, 02:44:25 PM »
Page472-- It would be unbelievable to me if Acurite refused you warranty coverage just because you purchased your unit on Amazon. After all, Acurite is making plenty of money producing and selling the units that are being sold on Amazon. I would just make sure I bought it from an Amazon and probably not from no-name seller on Amazon. Of course Acurite would much prefer to sell you the Atlas direct so that they can maximize their profits on the item by being producer and retailer-- and at typically higher prices than Amazon. (Sometimes a better deal can be had on the Acurite site when they are running specials).

I personally think it's also a good idea with a weather station to get the after market extended warranty. They are pretty inexpensive-- about $13 for 4 years.

Thanks BM, i agree... if there is an issue my first course of action would be to contact them. It was from Amazon directly and not a random 3rd party seller. Overall i've been very happy with my original 5 in 1. Hope the Atlas is worth the wait, although if the Elite was available i would have gone for that.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 08:32:10 AM »
OP, by now all Atlas's should have the fix already done from the factory it was just a simple running wires in a different location as not to interfere with the lightning detector.

IF.. by some chance you still get a older model Acurite will most certainly fix it free of charge.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 08:56:51 AM »
OP, by now all Atlas's should have the fix already done from the factory it was just a simple running wires in a different location as not to interfere with the lightning detector.

IF.. by some chance you still get a older model Acurite will most certainly fix it free of charge.

I hope they do for people, but Victoria from Acurite made it sound like they won't if it was bought off of Amazon or Ebay. The thread where Victoria says this is this: www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35162.225. She answers this question by someone and it is on page 10 around the middle to bottom of the page. Her answer suggests this it seems. She says the warranty is not valid if bought from a reseller.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 09:01:59 AM »
Warranty is warranty I cant see them not fixing it, I wouldn't be worried. By now all units should be fixed I would think.
KMIBADAX38

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »
Warranty is warranty I cant see them not fixing it, I wouldn't be worried. By now all units should be fixed I would think.

Yea, they should be. But maybe Victoria can clarify her answer relating to this specific issue and getting fixed if bought from a reseller, because their may be some floating around still?

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2019, 09:17:45 AM »
Agree
KMIBADAX38

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2019, 09:52:25 AM »

Yea, they should be. But maybe Victoria can clarify her answer relating to this specific issue and getting fixed if bought from a reseller, because their may be some floating around still?

I asked that question earlier.  There is no warranty through unauthorized resellers.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2019, 10:43:49 AM »
Is Amazon an authorized reseller?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2019, 10:56:32 AM »

Amazon itself yes.  A third party selling through Amazon, no.

Offline Mirwin275

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:00 AM »

Right, so it is possible Acurite may honor the warranty if bought through Amazon directly as a reseller, but not a third party reseller through Amazon, correct?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2019, 11:22:40 AM »

Right, so it is possible Acurite may honor the warranty if bought through Amazon directly as a reseller, but not a third party reseller through Amazon, correct?

Right.

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2019, 11:27:32 AM »
Right I can see that, third party no.
KMIBADAX38

Offline Pags4272

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2019, 12:21:00 PM »

Right.

Thanks guys...  Even though i'm a "new member" i've been viewing this site for many years and appreciate all of the knowledge and insight that comes from this community.

Offline jdrews

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2019, 08:03:05 PM »

Yeah, I might debate that. Bought one direct from Accurite and was shipped March 7th, installed it on the 13th. Looks like I got one that didn't get the fix as on the 15th the reported strikes is off the chart.

You would think if you buy the bundle with the lightning detector they would make sure you got a fixed unit. Apparently not. Can't wait to get support on the phone on Monday...