Author Topic: WiFi Issues After WS-2000 Updates  (Read 2045 times)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
WiFi Issues After WS-2000 Updates
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:13:46 PM »
After updating the Display Tablet firmware from v1.3.5 to v1.3.7 today using the SD procedure, and then finally after a bit of persistence and luck getting the WiFi firmware updated from v4.0.2 to v4.0.9 using the AWNET app, I've been seeing issues since. Has anybody else been experiencing dropped WiFi connectivity and seen a little yellow exclamation mark next to the sensor array signal strength green bars icon?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: WiFi Issues After WS-2000 Updates
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 10:26:45 PM »
Is it possible to return the WiFi firmware on the WS-2000 back to v4.0.2?

Offline Theo

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16:52 PM »
After updating the Display Tablet firmware from v1.3.5 to v1.3.7 today using the SD procedure, and then finally after a bit of persistence and luck getting the WiFi firmware updated from v4.0.2 to v4.0.9 using the AWNET app, I've been seeing issues since. Has anybody else been experiencing dropped WiFi connectivity and seen a little yellow exclamation mark next to the sensor array signal strength green bars icon?

Mine seems to be working fine.  Just to make sure it was just a typo, the latest firmware is 1.3.8 - that is what you installed?

Offline tony

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:56:29 AM »
I see 1.3.7 available as of 1/16/19 on the website. I'm hesitant to upgrade. Would I be able to go back to 1.3.5 if i have problems?

Offline tony

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:58:53 AM »
kbellis....I believe the green bars are the wi-fi strength not signal strength from the sensor.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 07:06:05 AM »
You can go back .bin file firmware with the SD card. That updates the display features. The WiFi firmware is done via the awnet app and that can only go forward versions to the latest. So two firmwares for the WS-2000 that each have a different purpose.

We need to reach out to Ambient and request that the awnet app gain the ability to go back firmware versions.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline tony

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 07:25:17 AM »
So, if I don't like what the display looks like after going to 1.3.7 I can revert back with an older bin file? is that correct? Thanks

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 08:39:44 AM »
kbellis....I believe the green bars are the wi-fi strength not signal strength from the sensor.

The manual isn't clear and so I asked Ambient and this is what they said:

------ Message sent 20190116 06:39 UTC-5

Hello Ed,
What a beautiful Tablet Display the WS-2000 is!
The manual is not fully clear to me regarding signal strength, but I'm guessing the WU and AW icons indicate WiFi connectivity without any telling of signal strength, and the 4 green vertical bars indicate signal strength/ connectivity with the outdoor sensor array. Is that close to be a correct understanding?
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Kelly
--
V. Kelly Bellis, PLS
17 Union Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605

Check this out, it was fun making: Determing True North

--------- Reply 20190116 09:41 UTC-5

Yes, that is correct.

Ed

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 08:43:37 AM »
Hello Theo,

It wasn't my typo, but just what was seen.

Mine seems to be working fine.  Just to make sure it was just a typo, the latest firmware is 1.3.8 - that is what you installed?

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 08:46:23 AM »
We need to reach out to Ambient and request that the awnet app gain the ability to go back firmware versions.

Here, here!

I wrote last night to Ed and mentioned this at the end of a lengthy and detailed report, which I am unsure he even read:

Is it possible to update the WS-2000 WiFi firmware using the SD card but as a separate procedure than the Tablet Display firmware update?

Kind regards,

Kelly

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »

Hello Ed,
The manual is not fully clear to me regarding signal strength, but I'm guessing the WU and AW icons indicate WiFi connectivity without any telling of signal strength, and the 4 green vertical bars indicate signal strength/ connectivity with the outdoor sensor array. Is that close to be a correct understanding?
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Kelly
--
V. Kelly Bellis, PLS
17 Union Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605

Yes, that is correct.

Ed

In a nutshell; Ed is wrong.  Hear me out...
The 4 bars are wifi connection strength from the console to your home router or gateway.  IF you have good signal strength, THEN you are likely to be able to connect WU and AW and those icons will display when they do.  HOWEVER, if the Router/Gateway does not have internet connection, then the yellow exclamation point will precede the wifi signal strength bars, showing you that you have wifi local to your house, but no internet connection from your house to the world-wide-web.  When that happens, the icons for WU and AW will drop.  After all, if you can't reach the WWW, then you can't connect to those sites.  Even though you still have local wifi connection to your router. 
I have seen this happen on my set up.  It wasn't Ambient's fault.  I had to reboot my router/gateway in order for it to see the www out there.   
Your photo displays vet out what I just explained.  Hope this helps and I hope you call Ed on his error confirming that the green bars is signal strength from the array.  It isn't.  There is no method of displaying the array signal strength other than the display levels for those sensors drop out and a dash is displayed overlaid on the last good reading.  If no reading is ever measured, then just a dash.  Knowing this will give you a hint on when signal strength from the array is weak or the battery is having an issue if this happens at night.  (During daytime, solar and a large capacitor powers the array)

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 03:00:00 PM »
As a side-bar to the WS-2000 Revision firmware update level;
The latest and greatest revision is 1.3.7
Ed made a typo when he listed it as 1.3.8 on his download page. 
If you look today, the website page where the file is located to download the most recent firmware lists the latest as 1.3.7
Yesterday it said 1.3.8
On Facebook, Ed acknowledged this error on his part and made the announcement it was only a typo, not to worry, 1.3.7 is the most recent out there for now.

Hope this helps!

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 03:03:32 PM »
Regarding rolling back the Wifi firmware;

I don't know, because mostly I'm to chicken to try, but perhaps utilizing the 'Reset To Factory' setting on the WS-2000 console will revert the Wifi firmware back to day one.  If so, then from there perhaps a user can proceed to updated versions.  Most likely the awnet app will only prompt you for upgrading to the latest and greatest, but at least there might be a way to default back to what ever was on there when it was shipped from the factory to you. 

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2019, 03:17:30 PM »
In a nutshell; Ed is wrong.  ... I hope you call Ed on his error confirming that the green bars is signal strength from the array.  It isn't. 

You may be correct. As a quick test, I just disconnected the AP from its power supply, all three of the WS-2000 connectivity icons disappeared. This bolsters your hypothesis, at least in part, that the green bars are indeed related to WiFi; however, last night while studying this issue, we never lost contact to the internet while the yellow ! was displayed.

As for telling Ed anything, he seems to already be getting more than an earful daily judging from his most recent messages in response to my reports to Ambient. I feel for the guy and don't want to put more pressure on him than he's already under.

Kelly

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »
At this point, 1.3.7 and 4.0.9 on my WS-2000 seem to be playing nice, so a factory reset might be considered later, but not because it's not working.

And more importantly, everybody else who have upgraded their WS-2000 to 1.3.7 and 4.0.9, haven't indicated, at least in this thread, that they're also seeing WiFi issues. This makes me question my environment more than the firmware at this point. Maybe over the next few days, this will change.

Regarding rolling back the Wifi firmware;

I don't know, because mostly I'm to chicken to try, but perhaps utilizing the 'Reset To Factory' setting on the WS-2000 console will revert the Wifi firmware back to day one.  If so, then from there perhaps a user can proceed to updated versions.  Most likely the awnet app will only prompt you for upgrading to the latest and greatest, but at least there might be a way to default back to what ever was on there when it was shipped from the factory to you.

Offline Ski Pro 3

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2019, 03:52:42 PM »
As a quick test, I just disconnected the AP from its power supply, all three of the WS-2000 connectivity icons disappeared. This bolsters your hypothesis, at least in part, that the green bars are indeed related to WiFi; however, last night while studying this issue, we never lost contact to the internet while the yellow ! was displayed.

Although you didn't loose internet, I assume based on web browser activity, that doesn't mean the console didn't.  Perhaps, for some reason, your router/gateway isn't recognizing your console as an internet device like it might your computer perhaps.  For example; my printer is wifi.  Plug into power and that is all.  I can print with it from my computer/laptop as long as I'm at home.  But I can't if I'm not on the same wifi.  My printer is not accessible, nor has access to the internet, just to the wifi here at my house.  I do the same with a couple cameras I have to keep track of my dad who lives here and has Alzheimers.  I don't want those cameras to have interface with the internet as I don't need it and don't want anyone outside looking in. 
I know I'm just tossing stuff out there, but maybe there's a way to get your console to both connect to the wifi and the internet from your router.  Not sure if you have the means for logging into your router as admin or not, but if you do, you might want to view what's going on with your weather console.  Just look for the MAC address for confirmation you are seeing the desired device.

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 09:44:56 PM »
I have brand new ws2000, have disabled 5 GHz on my router and the tablet still can't detect my router nor has any signal

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 11:07:56 PM »
I have brand new ws2000, have disabled 5 GHz on my router and the tablet still can't detect my router nor has any signal

I was reading firmware release notes and one of the things fixed by newer firmware was a bug where the WS-2000 could not connect to WiFi networks with reduced security standards. Based on this I would suggest that you upgrade the firmware before attempting to connect to your WiFi.
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2019, 12:14:45 PM »
The WiFi can be 'connected' but allow no data to pass to the Internet.
After an upgrade from 4.0.7 to 4.0.8/9 that is exactly what I saw on my 2902A console.
At first, it would drop and stay dropped. Then drop at exactly 00:00 and come back at 05:00
I can see the console with awnet I can ping it's IP address. There is no traffic passed to the Internet from it though.
Worked with Ed and an engineer at FO trying many different things, including the 4.10 firmware.
The only thing that 'fixed' it was creating an AP on a Linux machine I have and using that for the connection. Been solid for 4 days now.

There seems to be some issue between the console WiFi and the ASUS AC86U and AX88U routers. Whose device is at fault? Unknown.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:16:46 PM by GHammer »
Wireless Vantage Pro2 Plus with 24hr FARS, WLL

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2019, 12:33:31 PM »
The WiFi can be 'connected' but allow no data to pass to the Internet.
After an upgrade from 4.0.7 to 4.0.8/9 that is exactly what I saw on my 2902A console.
At first, it would drop and stay dropped. Then drop at exactly 00:00 and come back at 05:00
I can see the console with awnet I can ping it's IP address. There is no traffic passed to the Internet from it though.
Worked with Ed and an engineer at FO trying many different things, including the 4.10 firmware.
The only thing that 'fixed' it was creating an AP on a Linux machine I have and using that for the connection. Been solid for 4 days now.

There seems to be some issue between the console WiFi and the ASUS AC86U and AX88U routers. Whose device is at fault? Unknown.

Well I've got a pair of Asus AC68U one being a mesh node (wired back haul), and no problems. Then again I'm still on 4.0.2 because it is working. Way too many firmware updates lately. I'm waiting for the firmware updates to settle down. I realize the only thing published bad about 4.0.2 is that it asks for DNS update every 5 seconds. But that must be minimal as I it doesn't seem to be affecting my Internet and I do a lot so it must not amount to much. I have my DNS set to Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) anyway maybe that helps. The fact that there is no way to downgrade on the WS-2902A and WS-2000 for WiFi firmware doesn't sit well with me. I like that finally there is a help article with release notes but the latest 4.1.1 is missing. So what does 4.1.1 do anyway? who knows!
https://ambientweather.net/help/firmware-changes-ws-2902a/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 12:37:26 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2019, 12:42:35 PM »
The fact that you are 4.0.2 is the key.
DNS, etc doesn't make a difference.
4.1.1, it will simply put the new WiFi SDK back in place would be my guess.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
Release notes for 4.1.1 just published. No mention of SDK put back in.

Version 4.1.1:
Fixes rounding and sign error when temperature is between -10 and 0 degF.
Tele-Pole

Offline GHammer

• Senior Contributor
    • Woodmar Weather
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »
Release notes for 4.1.1 just published. No mention of SDK put back in.

Version 4.1.1:
Fixes rounding and sign error when temperature is between -10 and 0 degF.

Weird. It's been below zero here and I haven't noticed any rounding. I did see others with different devices that had that problem.

Well, almost Spring Festival, the Chinese will be on holiday starting about Thursday. Any fixes will have to come before then.

Offline stuff2447

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
The WS-2000 manual, version 1.4, on p. 15, clearly states that the four green bars  (see item No. 2), is the "Wifi Connectivity Icon."

Hello Ed,
Thanks.
Kind regards,
Kelly
--
V. Kelly Bellis, PLS
17 Union Street
Ellsworth, ME 04605

Yes, that is correct.

Ed

Scott Tuff
Hollywood, FL

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2019, 06:32:16 AM »
Hi Scott,

Thanks for highlighting this further.

I hope you are lobbying Ambient to add a signal strength indicator for the outdoor sensor array, similar to what is present on the WS-2902A. When you do, it probably be good not to rub Ed's nose in the mistake of saying what the green bars meant.

Kind regards,

Kelly

anything