Author Topic: Not-from-Daivs Solar and UV sensors for VP2  (Read 803 times)

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
    • Cape Small Harbor Weather
Not-from-Daivs Solar and UV sensors for VP2
« on: December 19, 2018, 09:56:37 PM »
Are there any solutions for adding solar and UV sensors to a VP2 w/o paying Davis' nose-bleed prices for their units?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Not-from-Daivs Solar and UV sensors for VP2
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
So have you done any price comparison with solar and UV sensors, that's where I would start, might change your slant on things a little?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:45:41 PM »
There are several low cost solar and UV  sensors but interfacing to a Davis is problematic.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 12:21:28 AM »
Well if the Davis Solar and UV are nose-bleed prices then why not simply buy a complete other brand will all these whistles right from scratch then there won't be any problematic issues?

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 08:10:25 AM »
Well if the Davis Solar and UV are nose-bleed prices then why not simply buy a complete other brand will all these whistles right from scratch then there won't be any problematic issues?

Well, because I have two VP2 units (in different locations), bought used and w/o those sensors.

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 08:12:19 AM »
There are several low cost solar and UV  sensors but interfacing to a Davis is problematic.

I have looked at some less expensive units but the interface to Davis is indeed the puzzle.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 08:21:53 AM »
I have looked at some less expensive units but the interface to Davis is indeed the puzzle.

I think the Davis interface is relatively simple - it just needs sensors that can provide a 0-3v linear signal over the required irradiance or UV ranges - the exact figures are in the spec sheets. But there's probably no general standard for the maximum readings and so each manufacturer may set their own values.

The UV sensor is the more complicated of the two (because I think the raw signal from the UV sensor is quite small and needs a calibrated and built-in op amp to boost it into the 0-3v range.) A reliable UV sensor also apparently needs an extended burn-in period to settle and reputedly Davis discard quite a substantial % of each batch manufactured during this initial burn-in/calibration process.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2018, 10:02:16 AM »
Are there any solutions for adding solar and UV sensors to a VP2 w/o paying Davis' nose-bleed prices for their units?

I have ordered UV sensor in China which should feet for Davis ISS. When I will have I will inform you.
Unfortunatly, but I don't have access to any station with original sensors + we have winter with no sun. So testing this prototype will take time.
Case is other problem. For 50-100 pcs/year it is very difficult to find nice and cheap plastic case for sensor.

Solar/ambient sensor is much more difficult to make. We can try to make it using this data: Pyranometer
but it will be hard to scale it to Davis standard + UV sensor has to be working fine to start making this.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
I made a solar with a simple photo diode and UV using a REYAX UVI-01. They use op amps to scale the output. They both function well enough for me with my VP2. A friend has replicated them, but he made up some tiny dedicated circuit boards rather than using strip board like me. It cost me about £25 in parts.

A very helpful senior user on the WD forum created the cct designs. Another user on there has also created his and documented it all I believe.
Mark

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2018, 11:43:57 AM »
Some years ago a UK company called Bluewave (if I remember correctly) made a solar sensor which worked with a VP1, I actually had one for several years until it got damaged by my builders!! So they can be made and this was much cheaper than a Davis one, they also made loggers and I had one of those as well. Sadly the company no longer exists.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 02:37:36 PM »
I made a solar with a simple photo diode and UV using a REYAX UVI-01. They use op amps to scale the output. They both function well enough for me with my VP2. A friend has replicated them, but he made up some tiny dedicated circuit boards rather than using strip board like me. It cost me about £25 in parts.

A very helpful senior user on the WD forum created the cct designs. Another user on there has also created his and documented it all I believe.

I don't suppose your friend would contemplate selling some of those boards would he?

I looked around on the WD forum here but couldn't spot that? Link anyone?