Author Topic: Davis fan motor  (Read 744 times)

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
Davis fan motor
« on: December 10, 2018, 04:35:22 PM »
 Well i was surprised to find out that the new fan that i got from Ryan has the old style fan motor in it. It is bigger and heavier than the puny ones they have been putting out. I bought a used station some time ago for the console and the dfars shield  had a different motor in it, it was about 8 years old then and the collar on the shaft of the fan is bigger around than the newer ones, i found that out when i tried to replace the motor which was shot with the newer style motor and the hole was too large to center the new style motor in it. I don't know if they went back to the old style because of the poor performance of the new ones but i know when i have the fan running it sounds nice and quiet, no clicking noises like i hear with the smaller ones, seem to have a better bushing set up. =D>

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
Re: Davis fan motor
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 12:58:08 PM »
I added a FARS fan to my VP2 about 2yrs ago and it sounds like it's binding when I have it installed. When I pull everything apart it runs fine, but as soon as I insert fan into the hole, it starts  making noise. I thought the fins were hitting the fan housing, but they are not. I squirted a little silicone spray around the fan bearing and that seems to help a little. 

Offline Taxidermista

• Davis VP2
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 09:47:47 AM »
Well i was surprised to find out that the new fan that i got from Ryan has the old style fan motor in it. It is bigger and heavier than the puny ones they have been putting out. I bought a used station some time ago for the console and the dfars shield  had a different motor in it, it was about 8 years old then and the collar on the shaft of the fan is bigger around than the newer ones, i found that out when i tried to replace the motor which was shot with the newer style motor and the hole was too large to center the new style motor in it. I don't know if they went back to the old style because of the poor performance of the new ones but i know when i have the fan running it sounds nice and quiet, no clicking noises like i hear with the smaller ones, seem to have a better bushing set up. =D>

Will it be possible to read or take a picture of the serial number or model or something on this "new" motor to search for a replacement part? Thank you for your help!

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 12:18:29 PM »
Sorry but there is no usable part numbers on the motor and i and others have had no luck finding anything on the web.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »

Will it be possible to read or take a picture of the serial number or model or something on this "new" motor to search for a replacement part? Thank you for your help!
This is what I used as I got tired of Davis motors crapping out. As far as longevity, I only used it six months (it was working fine) before I put in a computer case fan.

https://www.jameco.com/z/RF-500TB-18280-R-Nichibo-Taiwan-3-Volt-DC-Motor-2104-Rpm-1-3-Volt-Range_2158442.html