Author Topic: Anyone improve the battery on the Sky2?  (Read 2370 times)

Offline jpistrit

• Volcano CA Weather
Anyone improve the battery on the Sky2?
« on: December 01, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »
Ive had a Bloomsky for about 2.5 years now, my unit was replaced about a year ago and now i'm starting to get the unit dropping offline for a few hours (until daylight happens again).

I assume this is the battery (although when it comes back online, i can see the battery voltage must be crashing precipitously because i never get any values that are very low (below about 90%) but when it comes back on, its down around 60-70% and then rapidly charges to nearly full.

So i assume the actual battery is getting old/defective (and its been raining a lot recently so im not getting some sun every day which it seems to like. 

Has anyone actually replaced the battery or added capacity on these units?  I'm perfectly ok with taking it apart and soldering, but i havent looked inside to see what its like.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Anyone improve the battery on the Sky2?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
I have 2 original Bloomsky devices since early 2016.

One has the solar charging and it just never misses a beat https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnoJim and stays fully charged all the time

The second one does not have a solar so I plug it into AC every so often https://map.bloomsky.com/weather-stations/gqBxp6apnJSnm5m3

One thing I've noticed is that there is an occasional drop in battery charge on this device and then goes back up without doing anything by me, and looks like it is outside temp related.  The attachment is from the last 24 hours and our temp went to -21.6°C overnight.
Edit:  I plugged the unit in on 01/27 and unplugged 01/28

Enjoy,
Paul

« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 10:57:37 AM by PaulMy »

Offline jpistrit

• Volcano CA Weather
Re: Anyone improve the battery on the Sky2?
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 12:43:56 AM »
I think battery life is definately temperature related.
My device finally lost its sensors (crazy temperature/humdity readings) and the pressure is correct (but uncorrected for altitude) now.   I've tried all varieties of resets but i decided to let its battery go absolutely flat on the (probably vain) hope that actually powering it off and then back on might reset its sensor readings, so i have it sitting on my bench inside now.  Its been there a week and the battery has gone from 100% to 76%  so it might take another week or two before it finally goes into full power down reset.    I dont expect this thing to recover (and i dont expect to buy another one, although i love the functionality.  I'm working on an weather station based on the Argent Data system and an arduino to duplicate a lot of the functionality in this one for my location.

However it'll be interesting if it actually resets itself.