Author Topic: Wires..  (Read 451 times)

Offline pricey

Wires..
« on: November 30, 2018, 09:31:11 AM »
Hi.
I am thinking of detaching the solar panel on the vp2 sim cover. I want to place it in a sunnier position. Looks easy to do but what gauge and type of wire is it that connects from the solar panel to the circuit board?
Also I intend to use the round gel filled crimp connectors. Are they ok? I will tape them up with waterproof tape.
I will use about 18 inches of wire.

I realise I will have to tape up the residual gap in the door.
Cheers
Steve

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Wires..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
Buy a blank door or entire new shell (Scaled Instruments?) and route the wires via the bottom openings like the rest of the ISS ones.  Not sure of the exact gauge, but pretty small - 18 ga mebbe?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Wires..
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »
I converted a Temp/Hum station to DFARS and also run the fan on my snow rangefinder temp sensor using a dual solar panel Davis (part of the DFARS kit). To wire the solar panels to these fans, I used these pre-made harnesses: Xking The pins match the ISS/SIM solar panel connections. (mind the polarity, but I think that I was able to directly connect them if I remember correctly.

I bought the empty back shell (from Scaled Inst.) to mount a spare solar panel that I happened to have. I used shrink tubing to protect the connections from the weather where I had to join them.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF