Author Topic: Cleaning up Vantage Vue without erroneous readings  (Read 577 times)

Offline PraveenC31

Cleaning up Vantage Vue without erroneous readings
« on: September 01, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »
Hi,

I was the cleaning the vantage vue yesterday. As recommended I put the console in setup mode before starting. However after i finished cleaning i saw that the console still had registered a false rainfall reading of 2.8mm. Now I have no way to delete it too.

My vue is way up and it takes quite some time to just climb up. I m suspecting that vue came out of setup mode by time i was done cleaning. So here are my queries

1) How long the console remains in setup mode? I assume it doesn't accept data from ISS when in setup mode.

2) I feel it's better to turn off the ISS during cleaning instead.  How can I do that? Does taking off battery achieve that? Or will it still run off the super cap?

3) Is there any way to delete wrong data from console ?

Regards,
Praveen

Offline PraveenC31

Re: Cleaning up Vantage Vue without erroneous readings
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2018, 11:42:04 PM »
Other option i can think of is move console far away such that it doesn't receive signal from ISS. In that case would ISS retransmit the wrong readings again when console is back in range ? I feel switching off ISS is safest. Pro model allows to disconnect only the rain gauge but in vue i need to power off ISS. Need to understand how to do that.

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 06:37:26 AM »
 don't worry about ISS power...
in console... I change transmitter receive number. Kills reception.
I also then .... Remove the console batteries. Remove the power. Now console dead. Reverse when complete ISS cleanup and maintenance including new battery in ISS.  Install new batteries console. Restore console power. Restore receive transmitter number.  Will take a few moments to 'restart' re initialize.  that should be in within a few minutes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:44:49 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline PraveenC31

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 06:44:42 AM »
Does the console have the past data after you power it up?

By the way just realized that I could have cleared the day's rainfall data yesterday to 0. Clearing it now makes it all blanks and not 0s. Need to see if my yearly gets updated at midnight else I need to probably edit/set it manually? Here is the protocol I plan to do from next time when cleaning:

1) Modify weewx to stop uploads to WU (clearing wrong data in WU is most painful and impossible)
2) Clean
3) Edit/clear the rainfall data immediately in console
4) Check that weewx db also is fine, correct if required
5) Now restart uploads to WU.

I assume this should work. Opinion others?

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 06:50:11 AM »
I edited my initial response.  First, I don't fool with WU... too many issues, etc...

If you kill the receive transmitter number, you won't log bad data. When console is reactivated, all should be as before, except the time period when not active.  While power off, no send to WU etc.  Should all reinitialize after restart.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 06:51:51 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

anything