Author Topic: new member and understanding weatherundergrounds problems  (Read 1481 times)

Offline sciencemagic

new member and understanding weatherundergrounds problems
« on: July 30, 2018, 08:44:46 PM »
New member to this forum. Maybe this has been covered before, but what is all the problem with weatherundergounds website? Yes, I know it takes forever to load the page and to navigate on the site, but what is the problem with the favorites locations portion of the site?  While I do have many favorites loaded, I am not able to rearrange those favorites any longer? Which is a REAL PAIN!
   Also, when I try and access my favorites from the list that appears on the left side of the page, I now have MANY duplicate locations! I can have as many as 40 of the same location? What in the world is that all about?
    As a consequence, I now have over 100 favorites showing, with about 15 actual favorite locations. Can anyone help and explain what is going on with weatherunderground? Thank you.   

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
Re: new member and understanding weatherundergrounds problems
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 09:19:37 AM »
Yes, I think we'd all like to know what happened to WU. It used to be good. I think it's largely ignored by whatever staff exists there with only occasional fixes.

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 09:22:00 AM »
Here's my impression of the 300MB view of the situation, probably mostly wrong.

Someone at IBM decided that there was money to be made in hyperlocal weather forecasting, and sent their corporate raider department to secure the pioneers of that concept, Weather Underground. In late 2015 they succeeded, and put someone in charge of the recently acquired WU who either didn't want the job, or was sorely ill-equipped to accomplish it (although I'm sure there was an impressive degree on the wall). For one reason or another, the programmers that built WU into what it was vanished, and were replaced by others who quickly a) Lost control of the system and, b) Tried to increase profits by cutting features and increasing advertising, undoubtedly at the direction of the aforementioned uninterested or ill-equipped MBA. Unsurprisingly, WU's website popularity went in the crapper, and the people who made the whole hyperlocal concept possible, us, were really pissed.

For whatever reason, in January of this year, IBM decided to make an attempt to salvage the rapidly deteriorating situation and either hired new programmers, or gave the existing programmers an actual budget and a degree of autonomy to improve the site back to usability. The welcome efforts of those programmers are more apparent with each passing week, and the site is much improved from where it was 6 months ago.

Having said that, the system still has many flaws, and new flaws drift in-and-out of the picture as they work. They are obviously still hampered by an inadequate budget, evidenced by the fact that changes appear on the live system long before they should, but at least they HAVE a budget now and are openly communicating with us in the "Let Us Know Your Issues" thread as they work. Although less than ideal, we are apparently their beta testers, and although progress is slower than any of us would like, it sure beats the alternative.

Offline sciencemagic

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »
Thank you jackman and Steve for your replies. Being I have tried to send help messages to WU, and have had no success with any replies or help, how do I send "Let Us Know Your Issues" to WU, Steve?
    At one time I was able to get help and answers from WU, but that was some time ago, and they are not evidently interested in replying to help messages anymore?
    But, nonetheless, I would very much like to let WU know I am having much difficulty in utilizing their favorites feature, which is mostly my concern right now. Any suggestions as to how I can ACTUALLY communicate with WU, and explain my specific problem concerning the favorites feature? Thank you.

jackman, thank you too for your reply. I clicked on the links you provided. I can see what appears to be a new WU format? How do I load what appears to be a new WU format to my PC jackman?  Thank you.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 01:42:45 PM »
But, nonetheless, I would very much like to let WU know I am having much difficulty in utilizing their favorites feature, which is mostly my concern right now. Any suggestions as to how I can ACTUALLY communicate with WU, and explain my specific problem concerning the favorites feature?

Replying to this thread http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.0 may be as close as you can get.

Paul

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 02:13:19 PM »
Any suggestions as to how I can ACTUALLY communicate with WU, and explain my specific problem concerning the favorites feature?

To the best of my knowledge, you just used the only path to getting WU's attention on a technical issue, and that is posting it on here. They do read this stuff when they come up for air, but seem to be understaffed and poorly funded. The issues they actively work on are those that make major features of the site unusable, and there are still plenty of issues like that. I look forward to the day they can drill down to the myriad of small features that no longer work, but I think that will be months, if ever.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »
Here's my impression of the 300MB view of the situation, probably mostly wrong.

Someone at IBM decided that there was money to be made in hyperlocal weather forecasting, and sent their corporate raider department to secure the pioneers of that concept, Weather Underground. In late 2015 they succeeded, and put someone in charge of the recently acquired WU

CBXSteve,
I think you are mostly correct but you left one part out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the following is according to Wikipedia.

The Weather Channel first acquired Weather Underground in July 2012. Then a few years later October 2015, The Weather Channel was acquired by IBM. So IBM ended up with Weather Underground not because they wanted it, but because it came with their acquisition of The Weather Channel.*

* I've been corrected that IBM did want WU. For use with MetroPulse.

Things were great when The Weather Channel owned Weather Underground. It was after IBM came in that things got bad. So it seems that maybe IBM only really cared for The Weather Channel (and weather.com) and maybe they saw Weather Underground as a big waste of money or maybe they saw it as redundant and unneeded. Like a newly wed couple where a step child is part of the equation and they aren't wanted (happens not always but sometimes unfortunately). Funding probably went away from Weather Underground and they maybe tried to perhaps squeeze more advertising in without beefing up the servers just as the system was getting more popular with users and more personal weather stations. The system cracked and started to show signs of stress because it wasn't being maintained and funded correctly.

And as you said recently this year things are starting to look better with WU. So it seems IBM took notice in what they didn't deem important before and IBM has made changes. But I agree that the budget is probably still small compared to IBM's deep pockets. It has been slow progress. They make mistakes along the way. There are still many bugs and features to fix and improvements that we all want that don't exist yet.

At one point back I cursed IBM and I wished that they would sell WU to a company that would do it justice and give it the attention it deserves. Like a Google or a Microsoft or a Cisco or an Amazon or some other company with deep pockets. But not Apple as they are not good at sharing their technology unless you buy into their ecosystem of products and services.

I am very grateful for the WU employee(s) that have started to become active on this forum and work with us.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:25:55 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2018, 03:16:26 PM »
If you search for IBM MetroPulse you will see that it is a system to predict and address local market forces on a hyperlocal basis, and hyperlocal weather forecasting is an important part of that. I believe it was always WU's network they were after, and had to acquire TWC to get it by that point.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 03:26:35 PM »
Interesting, I did not know about MetroPulse. That just makes it all the more baffling how IBM mishandled the WU acquisition. Why did they allow it to become so terrible for so long? Because they put the wrong person in charge as you said? I guess could be true.

Still shocking to see anything IBM touches turn to crap unless that is what they intended. I've been around the IT industry a long time. There used to be a saying, "Nobody ever got fired for buying/hiring IBM." Meaning if you needed to invest in technology to make business improvements you called in IBM and you knew your job as a CIO, VP or manager was safe. Yeah they were more expensive but it was the price of a guarantee. Even if IBM screwed up, your name was clear, because how could it be your fault if you brought in IBM. If you tried to cut corners and save the company money it was a gamble and if it didn't work out then your head was on the cutting block.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:37:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 04:02:18 PM »
I have always considered Weather Underground as a good place to send my home weather station data, and looked at it often before I had my own website and uploading to other sites.  And it is free to those of us sending our data.  Yes I am disappointed with the issues on webcams and the occasional glitch in displaying data but overall quite happy with them.
Now just this past month I installed an irrigation system for watering the lawn and to my surprise, the Hunter/Hydrawise controller for the system uses the local airport AND, optionally at a fee, other reliable personal weather stations = Weather Underground, for monitoring local weather conditions and rain.  Apparently the local airport no longer reports rain so with the optional WU PWS my irrigation system can automatically suspend scheduled watering after a local rainfall (I have selected my 2 stations and 3 others within a few miles of me from the WU map for this).  The Hydrawise also uses weather forecasts (rain, wind, temp, and ET) for controlling scheduled watering and that would be from the local airport and likely also WU.  So commercially WU is now also important to me.
Enjoy,Paul

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
Great comments CBXSteve and galfert. I'm one of those CIOs, now retired, that had a firm belief in all things IBM. In fact my dad is a retired IBMer (37yrs) and stockholder so I have a fairly intimate knowledge. IBM wants our data. It's part of the BIG data initiative. I would not be surprised if the WU data was a major motivation for the purchase. They just don't want to spend money on staffing the UI stuff.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »
I also have a Hydrawise irrigation controller. Had it for 3 years (before Hunter recent acquisition). I'm still on the free plan and it seems to mostly work with the free airport data. I've considered switching to the paid plan to get better rain reporting using my station but I'm not sure yet if worth it.

As you can see from the attachment I'm getting rain reports in Hydrawise using the free plan. If your claim is correct that the data comes from the airport then you should go after your airport and get them to go back to reporting rain. I'm currently on a crusade to fix my local airports METAR SLP reporting because it is too high.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34821.0

For anyone considering a smart irrigation system I highly recommend the Hydrawise. Yep Rachio may get all the attention but I looked at it closely and I still think Hydrawise is better and I'm glad Hunter purchased them so I know the product will long be supported.

And even thought the Hydrawise can suspend irrigation based on rain it doesn't do it immediately if there is a sudden rain. As it only looks at the previous day and week rainfall when deciding to suspend. So I still recommend using adding a rain sensor. The Rain Bird wireless rain and freeze sensor is terrific.
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-WR2-RFC-A553100-Wireless/dp/B0149IWBLE/

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 04:48:27 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »
Just give it some time ... Google will eventually buy it. They will either completely wreck it, or get us all dependent on in, then start charging for it. ;)
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
And even thought the Hydrawise can suspend irrigation based on rain it doesn't do it immediately if there is a sudden rain. As it only looks at the previous day and week rainfall when deciding to suspend. So I still recommend using adding a rain sensor. The Rain Bird wireless rain and freeze sensor is terrific.
https://www.amazon.com/Rain-Bird-WR2-RFC-A553100-Wireless/dp/B0149IWBLE/
I also have that rain gauge but that doesn't give any actual volume info (or I haven't figured that out yet - but the installer is coming tomorrow to their first post-install detailed inspection so I will ask).  I thought the $60 per year for the option was worth it in the overall cost and that the airport is 20 km as the crow flies and have actual 5 rain gauges within just a few miles.  During my research I found that my Weather Underground PWS was a most accurate weather station available \:D/ and that convinced me ;)

Weather Stations Not all internet weather is created equal and Hydrawise uses the most accurate weather stations available. Tapping into the power of weather underground, you can add your own weather station or use the free professionally maintained weather stations. 

You can choose any airport weather station at no cost. For more accurate weather data, the Enthusiast Plan lets you choose up to five personal weather stations. For even more water savings, the advanced weather pack that comes with the Enthusiast Plan also provides access to more than 100,000 personal, airport and official weather stations.

Hurray for Weather Underground!
Paul

Offline sciencemagic

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 08:13:13 PM »
Any suggestions as to how I can ACTUALLY communicate with WU, and explain my specific problem concerning the favorites feature?

To the best of my knowledge, you just used the only path to getting WU's attention on a technical issue, and that is posting it on here. They do read this stuff when they come up for air, but seem to be understaffed and poorly funded. The issues they actively work on are those that make major features of the site unusable, and there are still plenty of issues like that. I look forward to the day they can drill down to the myriad of small features that no longer work, but I think that will be months, if ever.

Offline sciencemagic

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2018, 08:26:09 PM »
Thank you Steve for your reply. I now understand whats going on with WU. Hopefully, a WU tech might jump in?

Paul. Thank you for your replies and I will try your link to see what happens. I guess I always can hope.

Thank you too galfert for comments also.

As most of you have figured out, I haven't been able to find a way to respond to a given or individual post. Which I would certainly prefer. Can someone explain how I can perform that process?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2018, 08:51:21 PM »
Hi,
Since you are able to post in this thread shows that you have posting privileges, so you would just have to open the thread you want to reply to i.e. http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=33651.0click the Reply button the same way you would have done for your posts so far, and Send.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »
I think sciencemagic may be asking how we reply to a specific message by quoting all or part of it.

Instead of hitting the reply button you click on the Quote button next to the message you want to reference. In the message body will be the entire quotes message in Quote brackets before and at the end. Edit the part of the message you want to quote by only leaving the part you intend to reference. Then outside of the Quote brackets like at the end you type in your response.
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 01:06:57 AM »
New member to this forum. Maybe this has been covered before, but what is all the problem with weatherundergounds website? Yes, I know it takes forever to load the page and to navigate on the site, but what is the problem with the favorites locations portion of the site?  While I do have many favorites loaded, I am not able to rearrange those favorites any longer? Which is a REAL PAIN!
   Also, when I try and access my favorites from the list that appears on the left side of the page, I now have MANY duplicate locations! I can have as many as 40 of the same location? What in the world is that all about?
    As a consequence, I now have over 100 favorites showing, with about 15 actual favorite locations. Can anyone help and explain what is going on with weatherunderground? Thank you.

The simple explanation is that wunderground is currently rebuilding and recoding.  Over the course of the years they have lost source code and many of their existing systems have become unmaintainable.

The current most effective way to communicate with them seems to be their trello board.  Specific bug reports seem to get the most attention.  General questions do not.

https://trello.com/b/hqC0tb0u/weather-underground

Offline sciencemagic

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 12:10:41 PM »
I think sciencemagic may be asking how we reply to a specific message by quoting all or part of it.

Instead of hitting the reply button you click on the Quote button next to the message you want to reference. In the message body will be the entire quotes message in Quote brackets before and at the end. Edit the part of the message you want to quote by only leaving the part you intend to reference. Then outside of the Quote brackets like at the end you type in your response.

galfert, thank you for your reply. After your reply, and suggestion, I'll try this and see if it works. Thank you, galfert

Offline sciencemagic

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 12:13:40 PM »

The simple explanation is that wunderground is currently rebuilding and recoding.  Over the course of the years they have lost source code and many of their existing systems have become unmaintainable.

The current most effective way to communicate with them seems to be their trello board.  Specific bug reports seem to get the most attention.  General questions do not.

https://trello.com/b/hqC0tb0u/weather-underground

Thank you for your reply nincehelser, I will try suggestion and see if any fruition to my problem can happen. Thank you.

anything