Author Topic: Fan spinning the wrong way  (Read 1540 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Fan spinning the wrong way
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2018, 06:31:38 PM »
Whether the red "x" is the positive indicator, no idea. All I know is both my spares look just like his. Perhaps a different motor is now used...

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2018, 07:25:03 PM »
Whether the red "x" is the positive indicator, no idea. All I know is both my spares look just like his. Perhaps a different motor is now used...

And your spares have the "positive" or "x" label?

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2018, 07:28:04 PM »
When the batteries are in, the solar panel is not only running the fan but charging the batteries at the same time, .....

Not that it materially affects this topic, but the solar panel does not charge the batteries.
The two "C" cells, ummm, yes it does.

My apologies - you are quite correct.  (I was thinking of the ISS, not the fan - but that's no excuse)  Sorry. 

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2018, 07:57:04 PM »

One, no. The other is covered with the waxy stuff, so not sure, but doubtful.
BTW, I'm totally serious about trying the a/c route. Easily the best mod I've ever done (well the SHT31 ain't bad either, well jeez, neither is hard wiring the RW tipper....) =D>

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2018, 08:01:56 PM »
When the batteries are in, the solar panel is not only running the fan but charging the batteries at the same time, .....

Not that it materially affects this topic, but the solar panel does not charge the batteries.
The two "C" cells, ummm, yes it does.

My apologies - you are quite correct.  (I was thinking of the ISS, not the fan - but that's no excuse)  Sorry.
8-)   Figured you were, especially since I believe your ISS is passive.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2018, 08:16:25 PM »

BTW, I'm totally serious about trying the a/c route. Easily the best mod I've ever done (well the SHT31 ain't bad either, well jeez, neither is hard wiring the RW tipper....) =D>

Ha, I hear you.  I was just hoping to get a good unit off the bat.  I'm actually not that good at electrical stuff.  I fly drones and am an institutional investment manager by day.  Recognize I have a lot to learn in the pws space.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2018, 08:31:25 PM »

Ha, I hear you.  I was just hoping to get a good unit off the bat.  I'm actually not that good at electrical stuff.  I fly drones and am an institutional investment manager by day.  Recognize I have a lot to learn in the pws space.
QC is never perfect, that said, this error is fundamentally ridiculous. Putting in a case fan is child's play should you choose to do so. You'll get better reliability, better aspiration, better performance. Plenty of good knowledge here to help too.

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2018, 09:04:59 PM »
CW2274 is correct. Changing the unit to work off AC is a snap assuming you can get AC power to the unit. That is a sticking point in my set up but CW2274 might have an idea for me, short of suggesting a new wife for me, so we will see! He has volunteered to review my situation and make a suggestion or two. In short, I need to run a 100’ cord from the nearest available outdoor AC outlet to the ISS through expensive landscaping.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »
In short, I need to run a 100’ cord from the nearest available outdoor AC outlet to the ISS through expensive landscaping.
Which is exactly how long my run is, but my landscaping ain't expensive, especially when it gets into the desert. :-P

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2018, 09:33:23 PM »
I'm totally off-topic here, but:

Cabled VP2+ with AC-powered (daytime-configuration) 24hr fan.  So, no batteries (nor supercap) anywhere - except for the UPS.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2018, 09:54:33 PM »
I'm totally off-topic here, but:

Cabled VP2+ with AC-powered (daytime-configuration) 24hr fan.  So, no batteries (nor supercap) anywhere - except for the UPS.
glad to see you're one of.....us........ :twisted:

Offline WxLover16

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
Yes, much faster in full sun.

Got it.  Yeah, I mean, I would love to just switch the battery directions and just put it back out there, but I don't think it's worth voiding the warranty.  Also, when I take both batteries out (and leave them out) the fan then runs on solar power alone.  When I do this the fan is still spinning the wrong direction.  Something in the unit is jacked up.

I assume if you were to take out your batteries the fan would still spin in the correct direction using the solar panel only?
Yes, and you're not the first person to have this problem. Davis owes you another ISS. Personally, I'd do what I have to do to make it run right in the mean time, obviously not rewiring since you'll be returning it, but that's me.

It's unbelievable that Davis can get this wrong. I mean, having the fan spin the right direction is the central reasoning to getting accurate temp/humidity results.

That's exactly what I was thinking! That should be one of their main priorities in getting right in this. We're not shelling over hundreds of bucks to record the temp of the fan motor! You'd think that every single unit would be tested to see if the fan is spinning correctly. Hard to imagine possibly multiple shipments with fans wired the wrong way. Also, as CW2274 stated, if you don't feel like going through the trouble of sending it back, you should buy a case fan and get 24/7 high rate of aspiration for much better accuracy. That is what I did.
Davis Wireless VP2 SHT31 24hr 24CFM FARS

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2018, 10:34:45 AM »
Wow, what a difference it makes having a unit with the fan spinning the correct direction.  Ryan at SI swapped out my entire ISS (minus the anemometer and the console) with a new one.  Unit arrived yesterday and all is working.  Temps are much more in line than with the previous unit. 

And on top of all this, I received my Wifilogger which was a breeze to setup.  If you are looking to send your data to the main sites (WL, WU, PWS, etc) you just can't beat it for the price.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2018, 12:00:25 PM »
Awesome glad Ryan helped out. 
I do wonder how many units are in the field with fan pushing warmer air from top of shield and motor itself down on sensor.
Randy

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2018, 12:06:36 PM »
Awesome glad Ryan helped out. 
I do wonder how many units are in the field with fan pushing warmer air from top of shield and motor itself down on sensor.

Good question. I also bought a VP2 with a 24 hour fan about the same time Dan did from Ryan at SI. Fortunately, my fan is moving in the correct direction! Not sure how Davis missed his but as always, Ryan is great to work with on any issues associated with products bought from him.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2018, 08:46:29 PM »
Now this is a beautiful thing.  I've never had a temp graph like this with a perfect curve on a cloudless day.  Prior, with my Ambient IP-1400 the high temp would always be around 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM when the sun was in full force on the side of the shield.

Very happy with the VP2 24hr FARS.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]