Author Topic: Dual anemometer stations to one console?  (Read 623 times)

Offline brett c

Dual anemometer stations to one console?
« on: April 27, 2018, 05:25:06 PM »
Hi folks,

I recently replaced my anemometer kit on my Vantage Pro2+ after weathering, owls, hawks, and other fun things over a couple years just about did it in. Let alone the fact that the cable being slightly frayed from birds pecking at it.

I went ahead and took it all apart to do some cleanups yesterday simply to see if it could be salvaged to a degree. To my luck, I was able to get it back to decent working order. The old kit still has a ton of drag on the anemometer when the wind is blowing, but can live with it. Wind vane is a bit harder to move when the wind is blowing but that's probably due to all the critters sitting on it over the time.

So my question here at this point...

Can i hook up the old kit (effectively just this) to a Davis 6332 and have it transmit as a second site to the Davis weather console?

Essentially, two sites would be transmitting anemometer data, the Pro2+ ISS with the new kit.. and a second site, with the older Anemometer/wind vane.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Dual anemometer stations to one console?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 05:43:44 PM »
Can i hook up the old kit (effectively just this) to a Davis 6332 and have it transmit as a second site to the Davis weather console?

Essentially, two sites would be transmitting anemometer data, the Pro2+ ISS with the new kit.. and a second site, with the older Anemometer/wind vane.

That's no problem, each anemometer source would have a unique TX ID# but could only be received by 1 VP2 console at a time. The second anemometer (separate to the actual ISS) can be received from the anemometer transmitter kit which would over ride the anemometer from the main ISS. Each anemometer could transmit to separate consoles. If you had a Envoy8X then both anemometers could be received together but 8X's are hard to come by now. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 05:51:52 PM »
Like Mattk said the Envoy8X supports multiple stations including all instruments.

Can't image why you would want to use the anemometer with bad bearings. The resistance on the bad bearings will only get worse over time with no idea of actual wind speed is. 

Randy

Offline brett c

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 06:29:59 PM »
Thanks for the replies, after some more consideration, sounds like there's a lot of additional investment to be done. One that would probably surpass buying something to the likes of a Davis Vantage Vue station.

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 03:45:50 PM »
If you can't find a Davis 8x, the Meteobridge Pro Red's will do multiple Anemometers - or you can turn it into a whole additional ISS with UV/Sun & Anemometer, or any combination.

Not cheap though, but either are the 8x's.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:48:31 PM »
If you can't find a Davis 8x, the Meteobridge Pro Red's will do multiple Anemometers - or you can turn it into a whole additional ISS with UV/Sun & Anemometer, or any combination.

Not cheap though, but either are the 8x's.

Cheaper to buy a second console, I picked up a cheap second hand one on flea bay
Mark

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 12:28:52 AM »
True, but also depends on what you want to do. Sometimes another console won't cut it.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Online mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 03:32:21 AM »
Two weather programs writing to the same database and combine the data with simple queries?
Mark