Author Topic: Reporting period for events  (Read 554 times)

Offline gadams999

Reporting period for events
« on: July 09, 2017, 06:45:21 PM »
Hi,

I'm looking to work on data from my PWS (Davis). right now I have meteobridge sending to an API endpoint every minutes, and have a question on values such as rain0rate. If I define a template with rain0rate-act and my reporting period is 1minute, will the reported value be for the last 1 minute? Likewise, if the reporting period to is changed from 1 minute to 5 minutes on the HTTP event, would rain0rate reflect the 5 minute period?

Basically I'm looking to see what granularity I can get to summarize into my own 5, 15, xx minute sums.

Love the meteobridge, have been collecting data in DynamoDB for a while now, what to make some use of it! :)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Reporting period for events
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
You may find the information in the Davis Derived Variables PDF useful:
http://www.davisnet.com/product_documents/weather/app_notes/AN_28-derived-weather-variables.pdf

Offline gadams999

Re: Reporting period for events
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »
thanks, informative. So I assume that for every rain bucket tip, a packet is sent to the console (and meteobridge) and that the ISS itself determines they decay period. That actually makes sense because watching my manual rain gauge, it collect much faster than the the reported values at first, then starts to catch up after the storm/rain tapers off.

But what does meteobridge itself do between reporting periods to an external service? For example, with one minute reporting, if 3 trips occurred, would it report 0.03mm and then reset for the next period? Or is there some averaging taking place? Assuming the HTTP event was not successful, would the next event contained the missed trips or be lost (or included in the rain0rate averages)?

For mostly-precise, would it be better to collect the 15 minute averages?

anything