Author Topic: Which websites do you upload your PWS data to?  (Read 8140 times)

Offline boldblue737

Which websites do you upload your PWS data to?
« on: May 31, 2016, 10:58:26 AM »
I currently have my Ambient Weather WS-1400 and a Meteobridge sending data to Weather Underground, PWSWeather, and CWOP. There are numerous other options I could add like WeatherBug etc. but I'm wondering which sites you upload to, how many total, and why? Should I just get an account everywhere since my Meteobridge can so easily send the data to multiple sites?

Thanks...

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Which websites do you upload your PWS data to?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 11:15:01 AM »
I also upload to wethercloud.net, but remember that each upload takes up some of your bandwidth, so it is worth considering what are actually the benefits of uploading to tens of sites.

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
For me its...
WU...CWOP...PWS...Awekas...Windfinder

;)
Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 01:07:57 PM »
I tend to go overboard :oops:
WU
CWOP which then also goes to other sites
PWS
AWEKAS
WOW
WB
Weather Cloud
Twitter
Own websites

Links for data picked up by Ontario Weather Network, Anything Weather and Wind Alert (approval/links given by me)
And I am sure other sites pick it up from somewhere,
Then there is the webcam sites...

Why?  because I can!

And oh, EC has been know to occasionally give weather credit from a PWS in Komoka.

Enjoying,
Paul

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:22:05 PM »
I have the Ambient Weather and Meteobridge and like Paul I run almost all the services because they we available :)  WU, WC, Awekas, Weather4U, METoffice, APRS, CWOP, Meteonews, AnythingWeather, MeteoPlug plus email, FTP, HTTP and Twitter. 

I originally was curious if the Meteobridge could handle running all of it as often as possible and it sure does a great job of it.  Also each services to me has it own unique way of presenting the data and if you run a website you can link to those services with your data.

Also as mentioned some of these services link to others like Mesowest which also does quality control. 

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline waterside

• Crab Meadow Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 10:52:35 PM »
Bandwidth varies, both in width (speed) as well as depth ("caps" or limits per time period), so these should be considered.  However weather data sent to 3rd party services is typically low use.

I feed my own hosted site, CWOP, WeatherUnderground, WeatherBug, AWEKAS, WeatherCloud, MetOffice/WOW, Weather For You/PWS Weather, & Twitter.

I used to feed Wetter-Board but they made changes and I never re-created my feed.  WindFinder never responded to my application.

There had been questions about AnythingWeather and OpenWeatherMap (IE: how they use the data provided) in the past so I never joined those.

Offline virusdunil

• Forecaster
    • Station Meteo Hebertville
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »
About bandwith i wonder how much it takes for all the data we upload to these organisms 24 times a day...
compared to 288 times/day for our website data (5 minutes upload) (our wesite)
and compared to over 400 000 times per day for real time :shock: (PS... im not a mathematician so) :-P

it takes a fraction of seconds to send data....all i see is a flash in the bottom right of the screen.... I say...if you can afford to upload WD'S or VWS or others sw data to your website,theres no need to talk about those WU,CWOP PWS uploads...

the software uploads way more depending on your settings images and upload frequecy setted at aroud 5 minutes (5 seconds for live data)

instead of once an hour for cwop,wu pws and the others  ;)

remember those years we had to wait for the modem...twiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh #-o

today its done instantly

Cabled Vantage pro2 + Solar / Stevensen screen
Weather Display latest version + Boltek PCI-NexStorm-StormVue NGX / NSDisplay

http://www.meteolacstjean.com/weather28/index.php
Meteotemplate : http://www.meteolacstjean.com/hebert/index.php

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 09:15:44 AM »
I partially agree with both Paul and Cutty Sark.

Not sending anything is one extreme, sending to as many as you can is another one.

C.S.S. brought up some important points, it is true that sometimes these services are not very reliable and really, even if you can, what do you get out of sending to 20 different sites, most of which you never even visit in a year. Paul, for example, in your case I wonder how many people in the UK (WOW Metoffice) are really going to be interested in the weather "somewhere in Ontario". One has to be realistic and decide what is useful and what is useless (even if theoretically possible).

I make a compromise, I send to a few which I know could be useful to others or even me as a source of backup.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:33:41 AM »

remember those years we had to wait for the modem...twiiiiiiiiiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuushhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh #-o

today its done instantly

For those that don't.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/gsNaR6FRuO0[/youtube]
Randy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 11:50:39 AM »
Paul, for example, in your case I wonder how many people in the UK (WOW Metoffice) are really going to be interested in the weather "somewhere in Ontario". 
Not very many!  But there is the occasional user who stumbles on to it and visits my WOW data and/or my website.  I am sure they would then have a brief moment of: "that weather is certainly different than what we get".  The photo gallery allows for current uploads and that can trigger someone's interest if different views are posted.

It is a hobby, for some more serious than others, and like taking your classic car to a local weekend show, or a ham talking to someone around the world; we can do it - so we do!

Paul

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »
18 hours of uptime and my meteobridge shows the following traffic:

TX Traffic:   148.0 MB
RX Traffic:   454.2 MB

Every setup will vary depending on how many weather networks, services and how often the intervals are set.

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
For me it's,  Weather underground,  PWSweather,  weather cloud, ambient net,  CWOP and my Apache2 server that keeps going offline...LOL all done on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ using Weewx. BTW not ambient net and weather cloud.
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861