Author Topic: An Oldie, But A Goodie  (Read 11055 times)

Offline Lord Volvo

• Heathkit Weather Instruments Facebook Fan Page
Re: An Oldie, But A Goodie
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2015, 04:25:30 PM »
I built my 4001 just after I graduated high school.  I also made some mistakes but my Dad who was a Ham fixed them for me. 

I'm amazed that my Heathkits still work, especially considering - like you said - how caps fail over the years.  As far as I can tell, my units are still okay, although I'm sure I'll need to recap them eventually.

You could build the "new" kits and keep the already-built units for spares...or sell them and make a pretty penny.  Those unassembled kits always sell well on eBay.

I have the digital barometer but I could never get it to read the pressure correctly.  I don't know if some parts were bad or I didn't assemble it correctly.  I'm thinking of selling it on eBay.  It hasn't been plugged in for decades.

I saved a bunch of Heathkit catalogs.  I'll have to see if I have one from 1974 that featured that analog thermometer.

I envy you being a meteorologist.  I wanted to be one when I started college but couldn't grasp the math.  Somehow I ended up in TV and radio.

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2015, 04:29:33 PM »
I have the digital barometer but I could never get it to read the pressure correctly.  I don't know if some parts were bad or I didn't assemble it correctly.  I'm thinking of selling it on eBay.  It hasn't been plugged in for decades.

Was that the ID-1990 Barometer? I purchased one assembled and had a heck of a time keeping the pressure where it was supposed to be as well. I tossed the thing when I moved from that house, and that was back in 1985. I just hated that big bulky box you had that had the sensor in it. What were they thinking? LOL.

Offline Lord Volvo

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 04:36:46 PM »
Exactly!!  The sensor was inside this brick-sized unit the manual called an "oven" that was supposed to warm the sensor so it would read the pressure properly.  Maybe the unit was designed poorly after all.  I kept mine simply to cannibalize the LEDs in case the ones on my 4001 went south but they still look just fine.

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2015, 05:21:42 PM »
I'm surprised to see one of these was on eBay. Very hard find. I have always wondered why this got the GD designation instead of the standard ID. At least now I know what mine looks like assembled.  :lol:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-GD-1019-Electronic-Thermometer-with-Manual-Heath-/391205109448?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5b15a43ec8&nma=true&si=k3CuTV2dVizgH28zRJO9WyIyF5k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
Meteorological Technician
NWS Certified Aviation Weather Observer
B.S. Meteorology

Offline Lord Volvo

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2015, 02:38:09 AM »
GD designation - that is a good question. 

And I'm sure yours would look much better than that one on eBay!

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 08:57:58 PM »
I have all the Heathkit's in one form or another.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8963.msg171946#msg171946

Amazing!  I have a related question I hope someone can answer:  I have the Heathkit ID-1790 electronic rain gauge but without the outside rain collector unit.  I see that the "IDA-5001-2 Rain Guage Accessory," a generic outside rain collector unit, is available and will work on the ID-5001.  I assume it will also work on my ID-1790.  Am I correct???

Many Thanks,
Mike
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level & beat you with experience. Dilbert

Offline Lord Volvo

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 11:35:30 PM »
Hi Mike.

I also have the 1790 rain gauge, but with the original outdoor collector.

I *Think* the collector made for the 5001 will work for the 1790 receiver.  All the receiver needs is a signal pulse from the gauge itself to advance the counter, so in theory the bucket for the 5001 will work.

Heathkit made a stand-alone rain gauge (1795) that uses the same bucket as the one for the 5001.  Assuming that the receiver for the 1795 is listening for the same type of signal as the 1790's receiver, the newer bucket should work.  I'm not sure how the wiring is allocated so you'll have to experiment to see which combination works with the receiver.  Please post if you have more questions or let us know if you're successful with this install.  Good luck!

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2015, 12:39:20 AM »
Hi Mike.

I also have the 1790 rain gauge, but with the original outdoor collector.

I *Think* the collector made for the 5001 will work for the 1790 receiver.  All the receiver needs is a signal pulse from the gauge itself to advance the counter, so in theory the bucket for the 5001 will work.

Heathkit made a stand-alone rain gauge (1795) that uses the same bucket as the one for the 5001.  Assuming that the receiver for the 1795 is listening for the same type of signal as the 1790's receiver, the newer bucket should work.  I'm not sure how the wiring is allocated so you'll have to experiment to see which combination works with the receiver.  Please post if you have more questions or let us know if you're successful with this install.  Good luck!

Thank you for the reply!  Regards, Mike
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level & beat you with experience. Dilbert

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 09:40:56 AM »
Mike,

I can test this for you over the weekend. I'll grab the 1795 green tipping bucket and hook it up to the 1790. There's no reason it shouldn't work but it's been a while since I looked inside one of these tipping buckets.

While I'm at it maybe I'll dust off the 1795 unit and get a better picture of it.  :lol:
B.S. Meteorology

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2015, 01:58:42 PM »
Mike,

I can test this for you over the weekend. I'll grab the 1795 green tipping bucket and hook it up to the 1790. There's no reason it shouldn't work but it's been a while since I looked inside one of these tipping buckets.

While I'm at it maybe I'll dust off the 1795 unit and get a better picture of it.  :lol:

That would be wonderful!  Thanks so much.  I'll wait to hear from you before I order the replacement unit. 

Regards,

Mike

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2015, 11:05:19 PM »
Mike,

That would be wonderful!  Thanks so much.  I'll wait to hear from you before I order the replacement unit. 

Regards,

Mike

Update:  I contacted Data Professionals and "Don" was kind enough to reply to my inquiry about the Heathkit rain collector replacement unit.  Here's what he said: "...it is no longer available.  [it] is manufactured by RainWise.  They provided the originals for Heathkit.  I have contacted RainWise again to see if they will sell through me and they are not interested."

So now, all I can hope is that one of the replacement RainWise rain collector units will work.  I think it will but would have a better feeling using the "original."

Regards,
Mike

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
Mike,

Regards,

Mike

Update:  I contacted Data Professionals and "Don" was kind enough to reply to my inquiry about the Heathkit rain collector replacement unit.  Here's what he said: "...it is no longer available.  [it] is manufactured by RainWise.  They provided the originals for Heathkit.  I have contacted RainWise again to see if they will sell through me and they are not interested."

So now, all I can hope is that one of the replacement RainWise rain collector units will work.  I think it will but would have a better feeling using the "original."

Regards,
Mike

Well, one more bit of information.  Don at Data Pro wrote me again and said: "The only specification is that the rain guage output 1 pulse per .01" of rain.  This was the early standard for RainWise." 

Offline kcidwx

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2015, 04:22:17 PM »
I made another one of my awesome videos  :lol:  :roll: showing the ID-1790 with a couple different tipping buckets.

Heathkit ID-1790 Digital Rain Gauge
B.S. Meteorology

Offline QualityGuy

• WPE9IJF
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »
I made another one of my awesome videos  :lol:  :roll: showing the ID-1790 with a couple different tipping buckets.

Heathkit ID-1790 Digital Rain Gauge

A picture is worth a thousand words, so a video is worth millions of words?  :???:  At any rate, thanks for the video! Already 20 views!  Regards, Mike

Offline blizzardof78

• Forecaster
    • Ohio Weather
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2018, 12:11:16 PM »
Over three years since a post on this topic... So how is everyone's HK weather units doing? How about some follow-up photos / videos?

Don in Ohio

Offline OldWxNut

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2019, 11:06:46 PM »
I had the analog version. A fun kit to build. I liked the real time winds. At some point the anemometer bushings wore out and that was that.

I really miss Heath Kit.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2019, 11:39:01 PM »
This is on ebay now (Jan 2, 2019) for anyone interested:

Heathkit ID-1290 Weather Station UNBUILT / NEW in Box + Extra Built Indoor unit

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-ID-1290-Weather-Station-UNBUILT-NEW-in-Box-Extra-Built-Indoor-unit/123573063991?epid=1100686941&hash=item1cc5875137:g:kdgAAOSwi1lcKqNM

Offline OldWxNut

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2019, 09:09:58 AM »
It is hard to tell from the box. I think that was the analog model I had.

I really miss Heath Kit. At the time, late 70s-early 80s, I lived in northern Illinois. It was all too common to jump in the car and drive to the Chicago store or a few miles further to Benton Harbor.