Author Topic: Acurite 5 - 1  (Read 1775 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Acurite 5 - 1
« on: September 27, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »
I picked up one of the Acurite 5-1 weather stations recently at Costco.  Nice little package.  Did have a problem with a spider moving into the rain gauge within the first 2 days.

When adjusting the pressure on the display, the manual says to place the display (pressure area) in the manual mode and then make your adjustments.  Do you leave the display (pressure area)  in the manual mode?  I tried to changed it back to auto after making the changes and they did not hold, so I ended up leaving it in the manual mode and it appears to be tracking fine.

Thanks!

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
Re: Acurite 5 - 1
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:30:45 AM »
Hi Jim,

Can you tell me how long your Costco has had these WS and what they are charging for it?  I visit the big "C" about every two weeks (including last night) and haven't seen them.  It's just as well, the Rainwise Mk III is still in the mail and the CFO has reached her limit.  If I bring home the Acurite and it does more than the Rainwise, even superficially, well, let's just say that there would be some splainin' to do!

I'll probably get one for my son-in-law for Christmas though.  He's developing an interest in weather from hanging around me too much.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:58:12 AM »
I picked up one of the Acurite 5-1 weather stations recently at Costco.  Nice little package.  Did have a problem with a spider moving into the rain gauge within the first 2 days.

When adjusting the pressure on the display, the manual says to place the display (pressure area) in the manual mode and then make your adjustments.  Do you leave the display (pressure area)  in the manual mode?  I tried to changed it back to auto after making the changes and they did not hold, so I ended up leaving it in the manual mode and it appears to be tracking fine.

Thanks!

My understanding is that you would leave it in manual mode.

That adjustment is unique among AcuRite displays.  Most do not allow for it.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:50:46 AM »
Hi Jim,

Can you tell me how long your Costco has had these WS and what they are charging for it?  I visit the big "C" about every two weeks (including last night) and haven't seen them.  It's just as well, the Rainwise Mk III is still in the mail and the CFO has reached her limit.  If I bring home the Acurite and it does more than the Rainwise, even superficially, well, let's just say that there would be some splainin' to do!

I'll probably get one for my son-in-law for Christmas though.  He's developing an interest in weather from hanging around me too much.

Hey Steve....I paid $79.99 at Costco.  Although the Acurite in my limited one week experience seems to be a 'nice' setup, I would no way even consider it in the same league as the Rainwise.  During the past 16 years of owning various weather stations, what I have found is that the more expensive models (for me) appear to last longer and provide trouble-free operation.  As most know from reading my post here, I'm a big fan of the LED display (Rainwise), however, each of my stations has it's own special feature(s) I like.  Like most things of taste, it's a matter of personal choice and what you can afford and like.  Good luck with your next setup!
Jim

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 09:51:26 AM »

Thanks!

My understanding is that you would leave it in manual mode.

That adjustment is unique among AcuRite displays.  Most do not allow for it.

Thank you sir for your response. 

Offline ggsteve

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:31:46 AM »
Hi Jim,

Hey Steve....I paid $79.99 at Costco.  Although the Acurite in my limited one week experience seems to be a 'nice' setup, I would no way even consider it in the same league as the Rainwise.  During the past 16 years of owning various weather stations, what I have found is that the more expensive models (for me) appear to last longer and provide trouble-free operation.  As most know from reading my post here, I'm a big fan of the LED display (Rainwise), however, each of my stations has it's own special feature(s) I like.  Like most things of taste, it's a matter of personal choice and what you can afford and like.  Good luck with your next setup!
Jim

I am in no way comparing the quality of the two units.  I am well aware that in most things in life you get what you pay for.  That's why I swallowed hard and went with Rainwise.  Having visited the factory I could see the quality.  The conversation I want to avoid:

Wife: "Does the expensive one tell temperature?"  Me: "Yes."
Wife: " Does the cheap one tell temperature?"  Me: "Um, yes."
We'll skip the part where we go through all the parameters.
Wife: "Does that one do anything that this one doesn't?  Me: "Well no, not really."