Author Topic: Acurite 5 in 1 rainfall discrepancy  (Read 2245 times)

Offline suprdav2

Acurite 5 in 1 rainfall discrepancy
« on: May 13, 2014, 11:14:41 AM »
Hi all. So I installed my 5 in 1 sensor about a month ago, and today we finally got some rain here at the house. However, the display console was showing 3.06" of rain before I left the house this morning, and the MBY website (along with wunderground)is showing a total of 1.60" (not looking at previous event, looking at weekly total). Why would there be such a discrepancy?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 11:23:05 AM by suprdav2 »

Offline dschmidt_2000

Re: Acurite 5 in 1 rainfall discrepancy
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »
Hi all. So I installed my 5 in 1 sensor about a month ago, and today we finally got some rain here at the house. However, the display console was showing 3.06" of rain before I left the house this morning, and the MBY website (along with wunderground)is showing a total of 1.60" (not looking at previous event, looking at weekly total). Why would there be such a discrepancy?
What does WUND say for your daily stats?  In the 'raw' data below, is there a gap in the reporting?

For me, WUND when I click on 'monthly' stats, it doesn't show the current day.  Weekly does for temp but I seem to remember that it didn't for rain until the next day (could be wrong).

Offline suprdav2

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »
Looking at the WUND data, looks like there were gaps in data. But looking at MBY graphs, there were no gaps in data. Who knows.....kinda frustrating that the console is showing one thing but online showing another.

Offline WeatherWhat

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 08:22:36 PM »
Where are both the bridge and console located?  The bridge might be missing transmissions from the sensor sporatically if it is too close to any devices or power sources (it is sensitive to interference) and as such is not tallying rainfall here and there.

Offline suprdav2

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:46 PM »
It used to be upstairs, next to the router, but I bought a WiFi extender and moved the bridge downstairs plugged into the extender. Now noticing no gaps in data. I think that was the problem. Now waiting for more rainfall to test my theory.

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 10:32:40 AM »
There do seem to be issues with MBY rainfall amounts from time to time. I can't really explain it but sometimes there are amounts there that just don't make sense to me. i.e. recently it showed 24 hr. amount as 1.16 in. when we had a total of 1.01 in. and we had no rain the day before either to account for the extra .15 in. ?? I also perused my CWOP data to see if I could explain it but came up empty. This has happened several times. As usual, it's probably me but the next time it happens, I'll be sure to take some pics of the console display and the MBY totals and maybe someone can explain it to me.

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 10:21:50 AM »
Would it have anything to do with the math precision in converting to inches, combined with packet loss? While I've been keeping track (a few months or so) of the rain values in a given reading, it appears to be recording in hundredths of an inch, but converted to mm. (0.254mm = 0.01 inches) Here's all of the distinct values I've received. (these are divided by 1000 since the actual packet contains no decimal)

I get an average of 84 rain packets per hour. But even in the last 24 hours, that range has been from a low of 79/hr to 95/hr. We haven't had any rain, so I'm guessing the variability is packet loss. 

Offline suprdav2

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:24 PM »
Had a good amount of rainfall this week. And looks like all is reporting correctly now. Looks like the issue was the bridge signal was getting lost and wasn't reporting all rainfall.

Offline jonkjon

• K2mm Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2014, 05:13:14 PM »
Here are some pics of the rainfall discrepancy between my 01035 display, my personal weather site (data collected by Weather Display software from the 01035 connected via usb), and the my backyard weather site. This happens routinely. Not a big deal to me personally as I don't rely on the mbw site but it does help to substantiate that there is a problem.