Author Topic: AcuRite 00899 Rain Gauge  (Read 2824 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
AcuRite 00899 Rain Gauge
« on: May 28, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
I bought a 00899 rain gauge at Home Depot this weekend. I have a Davis VP2, I bought the 00899 just for the Rain Alarm feature so I can leave the windows open when it might rain, then close them when the alarm sounds. (hopefully it will wake either myself or my wife)

Although the other AcuRite items I have bought have been OK (indoor humidity, remote thermometer, atomic "Timex" clocks) this thing was an exercise in frustration. The first one would not connect via RF, despite following all the AcuRite forum suggestions. The 2nd one from a different lot (the package was different and it seemed to be a different lot code) connected alright, but would not count rain bucket tips.

Third time was the charm however :grin: it works as expected. I really don't care about the accuracy of the count, just that the alarm goes off when it starts to rain. It will be interesting to compare it against the VP2 just the same, since it is on the same mounting post.

Is the QC this variable? I expect to get a bad product every so often but I was a bit disappointed to make three trips to H-D to get one to work...

I hope that this was the exception to my generally positive AcuRite experiences.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: AcuRite 00899 Rain Gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 12:28:53 PM »
Hi- there was in fact an issue with some of the 00899 RF components awhile back, but it was a small batch and it was corrected quickly. Sounds like lightening may have struck twice in your case- especially when you mention different packaging- the packaging was changes about 2 years ago, so I think that your store just happened to have old stock on-hand. Both issues are related to a defective RF module. I apologize for the inconvenience, your new one should be fine- there were no other issues with the 00899.

The 0899 rain collector will probably read slightly after the VP2, as the 00899 uses a larger rain sample per reading (slightly larger collector "spoon/bucket"- takes more time to fill with water before actuating).

I have a river in my backyard that will flood a bit if it rains a lot, so I use the flood alert on my 00899- it works great!