Author Topic: Atlantic Basin  (Read 3778 times)

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Atlantic Basin
« on: September 02, 2009, 10:48:25 PM »
   I was looking at  Accuweathers hurricane center and checked out the Atlantic basin to get an update on Erika.  I noticed that just about to leave the coast of Africa there is a really impressive looking storm. It does not have a name or anything on it but my eye  was drawn to it like a magnet!  I don't know what the trends are for such things since I am new to following hurricanes, but this particular storm is already looking ominous. 8-[
            Mark

Offline capeweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.capeweather.com
Re: Atlantic Basin
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »
Yep, it's a big one. Been following it since it was in the middle of Africa. It looked like a tropical cyclone over land.

Chris
Cape Coral, Florida

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 11:33:56 PM »
   Hey, thanks Chris. That is a better satellite pic than the one I saw.  It will be interesting to see if it holds together or not. 

Offline MesquiteWx

• Forecaster
    • Mesquite Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 11:35:02 PM »
This is usually the normal time of year these things really get cranking. Normally this time of year you will see Gulf Of Mexico formation but that likely is not going to happen this year. The recent trends are really strange this year because of the early pacific fronts that are sweeping across the nation. You normally don't see these this early in the year, at least not this far South. Normally here in Texas we are still in the Mid 90's to 100's right now. Past 2 weeks we have been upper 80's to low 90's. Very pleasant weather to say the least for Texas this time of year. Anyways, point I am trying to make, is these fronts act as steering currents. Which is why the storms that have formed have ether just barely brushed the East Coast or take a U-turn back out into the Atlantic because the fronts push through and steer them away. I am just curious how long this trend will last. It is still early but I think Erika might have a chance to make it in the gulf if the high pressure over the NE weakens at the right time and what the track of the reminiscence of the Pacific storm takes or does.  

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 12:47:10 AM »
  Thanks MesquiteWx for that info.  I am just learning about these storms and that kind of info is prime choice!! =D>
                  Mark

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:08 AM »
Danny died.
Erika expired.
Fred fizzled. 

Claudette's the only one that did anything at all.

So far.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:36:20 AM »
   Though I don't want anyone to suffer a disastrous storm or anything like that, it has been somewhat dis sappointing this year, so far at least.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
   Though I don't want anyone to suffer a disastrous storm or anything like that, it has been somewhat dis sappointing this year, so far at least.

Yep I thought the same thing.
SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2009, 03:15:46 PM »
I sure wish there was something to track. All the storms this have been fish.
I don't want anyone to get nailed either but half the fun of tracking these things is figuring where it going to go.
My storm shield is still in place in my shed. A generator.
Ever since I bought it in 04 nothing has come close.