Author Topic: Under the gun Smyth County Va  (Read 4321 times)

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Under the gun Smyth County Va
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:36 PM »
We currently have the 2nd TOR I can ever remember in this county. Numerous reports of damage from this complex south of us but right now we have the warning and that's the worst of it...  Film at 11 !

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Under the gun Smyth County Va
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:07:35 PM »
Good luck and hope it all goes around you. Did your area get any TOR activity back in Sept. 2004 when the aftermath of hurricanes Ivan then Jeanne plowed through? I thought a reported 80 or so were spotted in Va. alone as it all swept through.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 09:11:38 PM »
We currently have the 2nd TOR I can ever remember in this county. Numerous reports of damage from this complex south of us but right now we have the warning and that's the worst of it...  Film at 11 !

That line of storms just went by here to our north.  We got about 3 drops out of it.

Keep your head down and be safe!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 09:18:19 PM »
We once again dodged the bullet.. Most of the "meat" of the storm took a turn due east just before it got to here but we are experiencing heavy rain and lightning.. Some of our "eyes" in the area reported some possible funnel clouds as well as one somewhat confirmed in Weber City Scott County Va

We have already had more activity this year that I can remember!   

Thanks!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:19:39 PM »
Good luck and hope it all goes around you. Did your area get any TOR activity back in Sept. 2004 when the aftermath of hurricanes Ivan then Jeanne plowed through? I thought a reported 80 or so were spotted in Va. alone as it all swept through.

We didn't get anything significant from that system here at all.. I remember we did get a substantial amount of rain though..

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »
Keep Safe!  :shock:

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 10:17:29 PM »
Just got back in from a patrol of the area and it looks like there was very little damage that I found.. Just a few minor tree limbs and such in the road. Only 240 power outages in the county but just below us to the south there is currently 3100+ which is roughly 13% of that county!

Definitely lucky here again!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 07:45:26 AM »
I was looking at the radar about 10pm last night and it looked like we were going to get hammered. All we ended up with was some wind and 0.26" of rain. South of us (mercer county) got hit a bit harder.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:52:13 AM »
It looked impressive here for a bit...Fortunately we didn't get slammed that bad..still got plenty of power out though!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

anything