Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109384 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I have release firmware 1.13 with CWOP coordinates fix.

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher
Woo hoo!!!  I got mine yesterday and got it installed last night.  It took me just a little bit to get it up and working, mainly because I was being fairly cautious, not to mention not being sure how everything works.  I'm fairly computer literate, but with the web stuff...

One of the things I noted that took me a while was when I entered my data to send information to WU, after I updated the information...all of the fields were blank so I thought I was doing something wrong.  I entered this information a number of times.  I then realized that it must be sending the information to the WiFi Logger, but just wasn't showing the data on that page.  I guess that is how it works, because it is sending the information to WU.

Again, I don't know if this is just me, but is anyone else having issues getting to the info page or connecting to the WiFi Logger after the initial setup?  I will enter the IP address assigned to it in the address bar and try to connect to it, but it doesn't connect.

Once I figure out how to connect to the logger again, I need to know how I can get the data from the PWS and forward it to Cummulus or Weather Display, but first I have to be able to get back to the setup page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick
Rick

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Have you read the manual? I also had some difficulty setting the logger up but when I compared my setup to the screenshots in the manual, I figured it out fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 11:55:28 AM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
One of the things I noted that took me a while was when I entered my data to send information to WU, after I updated the information...all of the fields were blank so I thought I was doing something wrong.  I entered this information a number of times.  I then realized that it must be sending the information to the WiFi Logger, but just wasn't showing the data on that page.  I guess that is how it works, because it is sending the information to WU.

Again, I don't know if this is just me, but is anyone else having issues getting to the info page or connecting to the WiFi Logger after the initial setup?  I will enter the IP address assigned to it in the address bar and try to connect to it, but it doesn't connect.

Thanks,
Rick

Rick which web browser do you use?
Please in a first step make update of WiFiLogger.
In firmware 1.11 is a little bug with display information on exports page. Please go to the first post and download firmware 1.13 and update manual.

You need to know IP number of WiFiLogger which was granted by DHCP service in you router. You can login to your router and there will be list of devices DHCP IP. You can use WeatherLink PC to find WiFiLogger inside your local network. You can scan your network using special soft (http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com), you can press red button once more for 3-4s to enable SETUP MODE with open wifi "WiFILoggerSetup" connect to it and open page http://192.168.4.1/info.html there you can find your IP. Write it down, this number is key to access to you WiFiLogger from home network. Please remember to RESTART WiFiLogger to disable SETUP MODE. In SETUP MODE WiFiLogger won't connect to the Internet.

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher
Have you read the manual? I also had some difficulty setting the logger up but when I compared my setup to the screenshots in the manual, I figured it out fairly quickly.

Yes, I read the manual.  It wasn't as clear to me, not bad...it was working like it should I just didn't know it because I was expecting the data to still be in the fields where I entered it after it refreshed.
Rick

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher

Rick which web browser do you use?
Please in a first step make update of WiFiLogger.
In firmware 1.11 is a little bug with display information on exports page. Please go to the first post and download firmware 1.13 and update manual.

You need to know IP number of WiFiLogger which was granted by DHCP service in you router. You can login to your router and there will be list of devices DHCP IP. You can use WeatherLink PC to find WiFiLogger inside your local network. You can scan your network using special soft (http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com), you can press red button once more for 3-4s to enable SETUP MODE with open wifi "WiFILoggerSetup" connect to it and open page http://192.168.4.1/info.html there you can find your IP. Write it down, this number is key to access to you WiFiLogger from home network. Please remember to RESTART WiFiLogger to disable SETUP MODE. In SETUP MODE WiFiLogger won't connect to the Internet.

I'm wondering if the web browser was part of the issue.  I was using Internet Explorer, but I thought I had also tried Firefox and had the same issues, but now I'm not sure.  I just tried Firefox and gained access.  I had performed a network search through my router's admin page and confirmed the IP address for the logger, so I had the address correct.  I'm not sure why I was having an issue this morning. :)

I will upgrade the OS for the logger here in a minute.

I also would like to know how to get the data from my PWS to the software like Weather Display or Cumulus, which in turn can be displayed on a web page.  Using the Weather Underground information is okay, but on my WU page it doesn't seem to keep track of the "history" like the pages generated by Cumulus does.
Rick

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
It works like this.

In first step HTML file is downloaded then after 2 sec, JAVASCRIPT is downloading your settings.
Can you use different web browser?
Chrome, FireFox, Edge, Internet Explorer 11

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher
It works like this.

In first step HTML file is downloaded then after 2 sec, JAVASCRIPT is downloading your settings.
Can you use different web browser?
Chrome, FireFox, Edge, Internet Explorer 11

Yes, I'm currently using Firefox.
Rick

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Please remember that firmware upgrade has two steps.
1. update using BIN file
2. Upload about 10 html files.

Some updates don't required to upload all HTML files. I will inform you when it's needed.

From version 1.11 to 1.12 or 1.13 you need to upload all html files.
From version 1.12 to 1.13 only export.html
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:27:40 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
This does require a router? Correct

Looking for a solution with someone that doesn't have traditional wired internet service. They are using a wireless cell signal (jetpack) Its basically a hot spot only.

The Verizon jetpack will take one of the WIFI WAN routers like Peplink Balance routers but this gets expensive and complicated for a novice.
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk

Also. people do need just to read/understand the instructions for updating. The steps are:

1. Update the firmware with the Firmware Update button;

2. Then update the HTML-related files in the HTML files upload section with a separate button.

Took me a few minutes at first to realise that these two are in separate sections (not sure why one says Update and the other says Upload?).

Sorry, this may be obvious to everyone but me!
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
(not sure why one says Update and the other says Upload?).

Update - this is a full procedure, file upload, reboot, switch to a new firmware.
Upload - html files are send to store like on a pendrive(3MB). You can send other files if you want, but that is useless.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 04:18:19 PM by WiFiLogger »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Looking for a solution with someone that doesn't have traditional wired internet service. They are using a wireless cell signal (jetpack) Its basically a hot spot only.

The Verizon jetpack will take one of the WIFI WAN routers like Peplink Balance routers but this gets expensive and complicated for a novice.

Yes. It's required Internet access via WiFi medium. In practice needs a router with WiFi.
One unit is working with mobile router GSM/LTE and WiFi. This solutions is very good.
You can also make Hot Spot WiFi network using Android phone.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather

Yes. It's required Internet access via WiFi medium. In practice needs a router with WiFi.
One unit is working with mobile router GSM/LTE and WiFi. This solutions is very good.
You can also make Hot Spot WiFi network using Android phone.

Thanks
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO

The Verizon jetpack is a Wi-Fi Router.  (Although Verizon doesn't call it that).  It provides up to 15 simultaneous Wi-Fi connections to the internet - and those devices can operate as a LAN - so what would you call it?

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher
1. update using BIN file
2. Upload about 10 html files.

Some updates don't required to upload all HTML files. I will inform you when it's needed.

From version 1.11 to 1.12 or 1.13 you need to upload all html files.
From version 1.12 to 1.13 only export.html

I think I went from ver 1.11 to 1.13 so I uploaded all of the files contained within the html folder.  Prior to doing that I uploaded the .bin file. 

It appears everything worked just as it was supposed to; although not exactly as the directions.  When uploading the .bin file the directions state there is supposed to be a "upload successful" or something similar, mine appeared to reboot or something and went back to a different screen.  No real issues, I just went back to the other screen again and began uploading the files from the html folder.
Rick

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I also would like to know how to get the data from my PWS to the software like Weather Display or Cumulus, which in turn can be displayed on a web page.  Using the Weather Underground information is okay, but on my WU page it doesn't seem to keep track of the "history" like the pages generated by Cumulus does.

WiFiLogger has two separate channels to access for data from the console. Both are greedy.
- WiFiLogger internal software
- Access by Cumulus, WeatherLink, Display Weather etc. on port TCP 22222

Both can't work at same time, because console operate only with one software at the time.

WiFiLogger has options to disable internal software to make clear path for external software.
1. PAUSE - temporary - just click on time on first page, pause will be engage. - Good option to download archive records by WeatherLink or Cumulus.
    Please navigate to SETUP|SYSTEM and set "Pause Duration" first. To download arch. records 3 min is ok. To make console update 7 min is required.
2. SETUP|SYSTEM - permanent - navigate to Setup|System and disable:
    - Web Interface Access: - Real Time Data won't receive fresh data any more
    - Export Data Access: - WiFiLogger stop uploads to WU,PWS,CWOP etc.
    - You could also disable NTP in Setup|WiFi Setup by setting 0 as an interval .

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
@WiFiLogger: Isn't there a 3rd mode where the WFL automatically pauses eg. minutely to allow 3rd party software to access the console? This is actually the recommendation by Davis for 3rd party SW. In these pauses it becomes possible to read/catch up archive data.

On another note, I think it would be beneficial to everyone to make the FW update process completely seamless and automated. No phases, distinction is not necessary between static HTML data and FW blob, etc., from a user perspective. Leaving the possibility for uploading individual static files is a good idea as it's possible to customise the web layout, but I think it's better to hide these details from those who don't care. A smartphone app would be ideal, but obviously it's another development investment, both in time and money.

Offline medic29

• Weather Watcher
WiFiLogger I have the Davis VP2 console with the device installed, one thing I have noticed the last couple of days is my console is showing the inside temp inaccurately.  It is displaying a temp which is about 5-7 degrees higher than what it actually is.  Is it possible the logger is creating any heat?

On another note, I figured out how to connect it to my PC software (Cumulus) as well as it uploading data to WU.
Rick

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
It is displaying a temp which is about 5-7 degrees higher than what it actually is.  Is it possible the logger is creating any heat?

I remember reading the same about the IP logger in these forums. I think an offset can take care of the temp itself but not inside humidity. That correction is more complex but possible. It's really an overlook on the part of Davis. Others with actual console+WLIP experience can probably tell more.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
WiFiLogger I have the Davis VP2 console with the device installed, one thing I have noticed the last couple of days is my console is showing the inside temp inaccurately.  It is displaying a temp which is about 5-7 degrees higher than what it actually is.  Is it possible the logger is creating any heat?

This is a problem with all loggers except the original serial one. The subject has been beaten to death for the USB logger (for which it tends to cause the most trouble) in numerous other threads. Basically, the console sensor is very close to the logger socket, in the same enclosure, and it is not realistically possible to design an IP or USB logger which does not produce enough heat to result in a substantial offset. As Kobuki notes, as long as you have the logger powered 24/7, a fixed offset will more or less correct the Temp reading, but correcting the Humidity reading will still be a problem. IMHO, Davis should have provided (at least) an optional way of 'exteriorizing' the console sensor.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
IMHO, Davis should have provided (at least) an optional way of 'exteriorizing' the console sensor.

Which there is on the current (wireless) Envoy consoles. The position of the RJ11 socket on the cabled consoles is used IIRC. Unfortunately because the Envoy board sits in the case less conveniently on the main VP2 console it's not possible to do the same there, to the best of my recollection.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website
IMHO, Davis should have provided (at least) an optional way of 'exteriorizing' the console sensor.

Which there is on the current (wireless) Envoy consoles. The position of the RJ11 socket on the cabled consoles is used IIRC. Unfortunately because the Envoy board sits in the case less conveniently on the main VP2 console it's not possible to do the same there, to the best of my recollection.

I believe that I am correct in saying that the Envoy allows the plugging in only of an external temperature sensor. Measuring indoor humidity remains a problem. Your argument about the problems presented by the design of the VP2 console is a bit circular, since Davis were responsible for that design and could, presumably, have allowed for the possibility of an external sensor.
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Is this the one?

If so it has worse accuracy than the Sensirion one inside and I think it only allows whole C° or F° values. It's not a true solution, either. I never used it but isn't this handled as an add-on temp sensor and not a replacement for the internal one?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
Is this the one?

If so it has worse accuracy than the Sensirion one inside and I think it only allows whole C° or F° values. It's not a true solution, either. I never used it but isn't this handled as an add-on temp sensor and not a replacement for the internal one?

That's one option certainly, but AIUI it just effectively replaces/overrides the internal sensor (ie it's not an add-on sensor), so it reads to 0.1° resolution. Never tried a T/H sensor but it might work.

Measuring indoor humidity remains a problem. Your argument about the problems presented by the design of the VP2 console is a bit circular, since Davis were responsible for that design and could, presumably, have allowed for the possibility of an external sensor.

Of course you're correct in that Davis can do anything they choose with the case design, but that's not really what happened AIUI. Fortuitously, the existing Envoy case design allows an external RJ11 socket to be easily accessible, ie without requiring any case redesign. But for reasons I can't recall at this instant the same isn't true of the main VP2 console.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

anything