Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 110564 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Gentlepeople of the Learned Forum....

I am back in business.  [tup] Here is an explanation of what needed to be done: (This problem began when I had to change my Verizon Jetpack to a newer model due to age/battery failure. The WifiLogger would not connect; this is how it was solved.)

From son, Tom:
Based on suggestions from BigAIT and WiFiLogger, here, we changed the network name (SSID) and security type.  The crazy thing is, it looks like changing the network name fixed the problem.

First, we got into the Verizon MiFi device and changed the security type.  It was set to WPA2 Personal PSK (AES).  We changed it to WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode.  After saving this and attempting to connect the WiFiLogger device, we still had no connection (Connection state: IDLE). 

The second setting we changed was the SSID, which was a long default string, such as Verizon-MiFi8800L-12A3.  We shorted it to "VerizonMifi".  After saving this and attempting to connect, the WiFiLogger device finally connected.  We got an IP address and things look operational.

It seems strange that the SSID would be the issue.  Maybe it was a combination of the two settings?  Either way, the security type is not a serious issue, since this wifi network is out in the sticks and nobody else will be connecting to it.  Plus, now the name is better, in my opinion. :)

I'll address galfert's suggestions, too...

You were right about the default SSID, it looks like.  Just FYI, we didn't change the password.

Setting up a dedicated router would be problematic, at this location.  There are no ISPs that provide service in this area aside from satellite and cellular.  Cable, fiber-optic, DSL, and other wireless options are completely off the table, due to location.

While we might be able to setup a dedicated router, getting a USB-connected Verizon Jet Pack to be the WAN uplink would be all kinds of problematic.  Especially when that Jet Pack is prone to disconnects, again, due to geography/location.

It's a research project the son/IT guy is working on.  He's happy to discuss the options, but it's a topic that strays from the purpose of this thread.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.  Your input got us pointed in the right direction!

D and T

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Yeah, the SSID is the front door.  The password is the key.  You keep trying the wrong key on the wrong door, it doesn't work.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline BigAlT

I will venture a possible explanation. WiFi Logger states that special characters will not work in the WiFi Logger password field. Possibly the same issue applies to the Wi Fi Logger SSID field as well. The default Verizon SSID had a - separating each of the three strings of characters. This may have caused your WFL to not recognize your Jetpack as a router it can connect to.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 03:54:22 PM by BigAlT »
Davis Vantage Vue ISS & Console with WiFi Logger 2
2nd Davis Vantage Vue Console with WiFi Logger 2
Davis Vantage Pro2 Console with Meteobridge Nano SD
Davis Weather Envoy with USB Logger connected to RPi 3B+ running WEEWX
WeatherFlow Smart Weather Station

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
I love happy endings :)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Gentlepeople of the Learned Forum....

I am back in business.  [tup] Here is an explanation of what needed to be done: (This problem began when I had to change my Verizon Jetpack to a newer model due to age/battery failure. The WifiLogger would not connect; this is how it was solved.)
Glad you're back online!

From son, Tom:
Based on suggestions from BigAIT and WiFiLogger, here, we changed the network name (SSID) and security type.  The crazy thing is, it looks like changing the network name fixed the problem.
What about me? I'm the one the suggested the SSID change.   :-(   They just were talking about changing the pass key. But that's okay.   :sad: But you gave me credit below...  [tup]

First, we got into the Verizon MiFi device and changed the security type.  It was set to WPA2 Personal PSK (AES).  We changed it to WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode.  After saving this and attempting to connect the WiFiLogger device, we still had no connection (Connection state: IDLE).
WPA 1 has exploits. Changing to WPA/WPA2 didn't do anything. I'd keep it at WPA2. Up to you.

The second setting we changed was the SSID, which was a long default string, such as Verizon-MiFi8800L-12A3.  We shorted it to "VerizonMifi".  After saving this and attempting to connect, the WiFiLogger device finally connected.  We got an IP address and things look operational.

It seems strange that the SSID would be the issue.  Maybe it was a combination of the two settings?  Either way, the security type is not a serious issue, since this wifi network is out in the sticks and nobody else will be connecting to it.  Plus, now the name is better, in my opinion. :)
Seems like the SSID name change was the issue. This should be in the FAQ for the WiFiLogger until the matter is resolved. By the way typically spaces are allowed in the SSID....so it could have been named "Verizon MiFi" ....but then again maybe not as I don't know if WiFiLogger thinks the space is a special character or not.

I'll address galfert's suggestions, too...

You were right about the default SSID, it looks like.  Just FYI, we didn't change the password.

Setting up a dedicated router would be problematic, at this location.  There are no ISPs that provide service in this area aside from satellite and cellular.  Cable, fiber-optic, DSL, and other wireless options are completely off the table, due to location.

While we might be able to setup a dedicated router, getting a USB-connected Verizon Jet Pack to be the WAN uplink would be all kinds of problematic.  Especially when that Jet Pack is prone to disconnects, again, due to geography/location.
I'm an IT guy too. Not countering what your son has to say on the matter, but I have experience with several MiFi type devices connected via USB to a router and the connections are solid...hardly any issues. Sometimes you just power cycle the MiFi and don't need to touch the router. I really don't see how it would be a problematic situation. There is just so much to gain that the Pros I think would outweigh any negatives (which I don't really see other than cost and re-setting things). If you really wanted to do it right then you could get a router that takes the Verizon SIM card directly so that you don't need the Jetpack at all. I've done this for some remote locations although they are more costly. My recommendation is a Cradlepoint AER1600 (with LP6 modem). You can get just the router with the build in cellular modem without the service plan. The service plan just adds some remote management capabilities that you don't really need. You still get software updates without this management subscription. Yes this is a costly WiFi router but I feel it is the best in its class. The last one of these I installed was for a fully decked out 45 foot RV with dual external cellular antennas (optional). This thing performs!

It's a research project the son/IT guy is working on.  He's happy to discuss the options, but it's a topic that strays from the purpose of this thread.
Nah...happy to talk about it....let us know what he thinks.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help.  Your input got us pointed in the right direction!

D and T

Welcome!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 05:44:40 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Thanks galfert for own forum thread.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Thanks again to all. I like happy endings also, Woj. I have emailed my son that he should read the responses. Expect he will.  :-)

Dave

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

[tup] Yep, No problem Wojtek....we need to get off this thread people! Let's start some dedicated WiFiLogger threads instead of keeping this tired old thread going. It will help everyone.

Enjoy the new WiFiLogger Subforum:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?board=143.0

Tele-Pole

Offline pfletch101

• Forecaster
    • Personal Website

[tup] Yep, No problem Wojtek....we need to get off this thread people! Let's start some dedicated WiFiLogger threads instead of keeping this tired old thread going. It will help everyone.

Was there an announcement (other than this one)? If not, can we have one in the appropriate location?
Vantage Pro 2+ connected to Raspberry Pi running weewx by means of Meteo-Pi - data incorporated in domestic energy production (PV) and use monitoring system.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
No. There was one private (Internet) meeting for 10-15 minutes and it just happened.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster

Was there an announcement (other than this one)? If not, can we have one in the appropriate location?

Announcement posted:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=37531.0
Tele-Pole

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #1311 on: August 02, 2019, 10:52:41 AM »
I notice that we are talking about the 2.25 firmware version, while I would be at 2.16. Should I update? If I'm not mistaken, I don't lose my settings, do I?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1312 on: August 02, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »
I notice that we are talking about the 2.25 firmware version, while I would be at 2.16. Should I update? If I'm not mistaken, I don't lose my settings, do I?
Current is 2.24, but it has partially working new features. Please wait about 2 weeks for 2.25 which will have be finished and tested new features.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1313 on: August 02, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
Great. As a guide, how long does it take the wifilogger to do the update once the command is launched?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1314 on: August 02, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »
Great. As a guide, how long does it take the wifilogger to do the update once the command is launched?
HTMLs you can see, but after firmware update there is no message that it is done. It is programmed, but debug window is working on web sockets, it is disconnected while firmware update.
It should take about 30 sec., but it depends on Internet connection. 0.5 MB has to be downloaded.

Offline MatteoPV

• Contributor
« Reply #1315 on: August 03, 2019, 07:33:59 AM »
OK thanks

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
    • Fairfield Weather Station
« Reply #1316 on: August 03, 2019, 04:43:28 PM »

HTMLs you can see, but after firmware update there is no message that it is done. It is programmed, but debug window is working on web sockets, it is disconnected while firmware update.
It should take about 30 sec., but it depends on Internet connection. 0.5 MB has to be downloaded.

So I decided to update from 2.16 to 2.24 and it appears I own a brick now!  Update process seemed smooth, afterwards all upload info was uploading to the different weather sites on the Debug screen but once I went to the Real time data page.... there was no data, just the titles. So I waited and still nothing then went to the other menu tabs and they seemed to be working. I could renew the NTP and I could get to the system tab where it says the network was "connected" but still no real time info populated. So while I was on the system screen I selected "restart". It restarted I suppose but still the same issue. So I powered it down, plugged it in and now I couldn't log into it on the browser (IP address not found) and it was no longer on my router list.  ](*,)
So I go into setup (3 sec on red button and a bright LED flash.) I connected to the Wifiloggersetup network, entered my router info, chose save and it came back "Idle".   I reset it again...and now it will not go into setup mode!! ](*,) ](*,) :evil: :evil: :evil:   I tried it many many times changing how long I press the red button and even how long I waited before I pressed It. I get no setup confirmation LED and the Wifiloggersetup network was never seen again...I noticed after about 20-30 sec after reset the blue LED stops blinking completely, nothing 15 minutes later no flashes. but if I press reset, It will blink again and stop again. If I press Setup within 10 sec from reset, it will Blink very bright once every second and never stop????

I don't know what to do now. If you can't enter setup and cant reach the IP address, your locked out for good.   :sad:

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #1317 on: August 03, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »

So I decided to update from 2.16 to 2.24 and it appears I own a brick now!  Update process seemed smooth, afterwards all upload info was uploading to the different weather sites on the Debug screen but once I went to the Real time data page.... there was no data, just the titles. So I waited and still nothing then went to the other menu tabs and they seemed to be working. I could renew the NTP and I could get to the system tab where it says the network was "connected" but still no real time info populated. So while I was on the system screen I selected "restart". It restarted I suppose but still the same issue. So I powered it down, plugged it in and now I couldn't log into it on the browser (IP address not found) and it was no longer on my router list.  ](*,)
So I go into setup (3 sec on red button and a bright LED flash.) I connected to the Wifiloggersetup network, entered my router info, chose save and it came back "Idle".   I reset it again...and now it will not go into setup mode!! ](*,) ](*,) :evil: :evil: :evil:   I tried it many many times changing how long I press the red button and even how long I waited before I pressed It. I get no setup confirmation LED and the Wifiloggersetup network was never seen again...I noticed after about 20-30 sec after reset the blue LED stops blinking completely, nothing 15 minutes later no flashes. but if I press reset, It will blink again and stop again. If I press Setup within 10 sec from reset, it will Blink very bright once every second and never stop????

I don't know what to do now. If you can't enter setup and cant reach the IP address, your locked out for good.   :sad:

Nah, don't believe you are locked out for good.  This same issue happened to me a year ago when I had a failed firmware update attempt.  I wrote to Wojteck in this thread and this was his response:

You are lack of HTML files. No HTML files = no interface.
Please go to url http://192.168.4.1/admin/html
Use this simple interface to upload system.html file, then go to http://192.168.4.1/system.html to put all files from html folder.
You can use first url to upload all files if you like.

If you don't have wifi.html and want to establish connection with router use http://192.168.4.1/simplewifi
http://192.168.4.1/admin/infovalues - will show you IP adress.

Guessing you also need to upload HTML files.  Let me know if this works.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1318 on: August 03, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »

It looks more like sleep mode, but can be also problem with HTMLs.
Please try this:
- click white button
- after one second press and keep touching red button for about 10 sec.
- please check if you have "WiFiLoggerSetup" network.
- go to http://192.168.4.1/
- if you can't open it. Please try with http://192.168.4.1/simplewifi - this is simple form to put your router info if there is no HTMLs.

If sleep mode is enabled. Then there is a little different procedure.
- click white button
- after one second press and keep touching red button for about 10 sec.
- this will disable sleep mode for a while.
- press and keep touching red button for 5-10 sec. again
- this will enable "WiFiLoggerSetup" network

There is also one little possibility, that your logger loose crypto key. Probably we can check that. If yes, then logger will be replaced.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
« Reply #1319 on: August 03, 2019, 08:46:45 PM »
OK.. After quite a bit of button pushing and turning off all routers and modems in the house, I was able to get the WifiLogger's Wifi on the available networks list and logg in again to see what's going on. I had a major brain fart at one moment when I selected Wireless mode G when My router's 2GHz is set at N only. This took a while to figure out what I'd done.

So, now Im back on the LAN but still now Real Time data and the Last HTML page of the latest software is not loading completely and shows everything Disabled. If I change them to enable then hit save, they just revert immediately back to Disabled .

Also... Please tell me if this is right for update on debug screen:

/index.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 38973
/edit.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 25136
/export.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 14482
/ftpexport.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 10560
/info.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 6234
 Update start...
DavisCheckTime(): Weather Station time OK
Renew RTD
Renew HiLows

Nothing after this for 30 min now.

Edit: OK now its uploading to the weather sites...  :-s    But still no real time data... and I can't connect to my station via Weatherlink software.  :-k Weatherlink keeps showing communications error / station not found??
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:13:39 PM by Bobvelle »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1320 on: August 04, 2019, 04:33:24 AM »
OK.. After quite a bit of button pushing and turning off all routers and modems in the house, I was able to get the WifiLogger's Wifi on the available networks list and logg in again to see what's going on. I had a major brain fart at one moment when I selected Wireless mode G when My router's 2GHz is set at N only. This took a while to figure out what I'd done.

So, now Im back on the LAN but still now Real Time data and the Last HTML page of the latest software is not loading completely and shows everything Disabled. If I change them to enable then hit save, they just revert immediately back to Disabled .

Also... Please tell me if this is right for update on debug screen:

Update start...
DavisCheckTime(): Weather Station time OK
Renew RTD
Renew HiLows

Nothing after this for 30 min now.

Edit: OK now its uploading to the weather sites...  :-s    But still no real time data... and I can't connect to my station via Weatherlink software.  :-k Weatherlink keeps showing communications error / station not found??

This update screen I will have to change somehow. It is not showing final message that firmware was updated.

First Real Time Data page. I am thinking about index.html.gz.
Update is downloading new index.html, but compressed one index.html.gz has prior to html.
So if you have old .gz file then it can not work.
please open http://WFL_IP/edit
on the left you will find list of files on WFL little hard drive. If you can find index.html.gz. Please click right button on it and choose from list "delete".

About WeatherLink.
Please open SETUP|WiFi Setup. Go to the bottom and find TCP port settings. You can have there 0, should be 22222.

Please also confirm crypto ok if it is ok. http://WFL_IP/crypto

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
« Reply #1321 on: August 04, 2019, 08:44:18 AM »

Update is downloading new index.html, but compressed one index.html.gz has prior to html.
on the left you will find list of files on WFL little hard drive. If you can find index.html.gz. Please click right button on it and choose from list "delete".

About WeatherLink.
Please open SETUP|WiFi Setup. Go to the bottom and find TCP port settings. You can have there 0, should be 22222.

So first, Crypto came back OK

Next, WFL Edit comes up as SPIFFS Editor but it's blank. No list of anything, just completely blank.

TCP port is still showing 22222.

It locked up last night. in that it has not uploaded any data in the last 9 hours.
I did another update this morning and this is the debug:

/style.css - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 3630
/system.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 19873
/wifi.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 12299
/arch.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 1846
/setup.html - File size: 4294967295 - Downloaded: 16474
[update] Update start...
[update] Update no Update.
DavisWakeUP(): Can't find Weather station!!!
DavisGetLPSFull(): CRC BAD
DavisGetLPSFull(): CRC BAD
Crypto OK
[NTP] sending NTP packet...159.203.158.197
[NTP] packet received epoch: 1564921609
NTP Time: 07:26:54 04-08-2019
Weather station time: 07:25:26 04-08-2019
WasMiNute
TCP SERVER START

It ends there.. nothing else as of this post

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #1322 on: August 04, 2019, 10:12:36 AM »

About WeatherLink.

So first, Crypto came back OK

Next, WFL Edit comes up as SPIFFS Editor but it's blank. No list of anything, just completely blank.

TCP port is still showing 22222.

It locked up last night. in that it has not uploaded any data in the last 9 hours.
I did another update this morning and this is the debug:

We have message here about console problem.
- did you reboot whole console before this debug? You don't have to unplug power from console to reset WiFiLogger. White button is for that.
- If console was running (normal screen with data, not RECEIVING FROM...) and WiFiLogger was unable to connect then there is only three options
  1. WiFiLogger is not firmly sitting in socket. Please power off console and batteries. Remove WiFiLogger, install firmly WiFiLogger, restore all power.
  2. WiFiLogger is set to 19200 baud rate. If somehow you have other baud rate in console then it will work like this.
      Go to console's RECEIVING FROM... screen (reboot console, or DONE + "- arrow"). Click several times DONE. Check
      BAUD RATE
  3. WiFiLogger is damaged and there will be no communication. WiFiLogger has to replaced.

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
« Reply #1323 on: August 04, 2019, 11:15:17 AM »
The debug log I posted was generated just after doing the online update, however, about 30 minutes before updating, I did "hard" reboot by unplugging console.
 Baud rate is 19200 on console. Logger appears and feels fully seated. But I will try to re-seat it.

since my last post it started uploading to weather sites again but still no Real Time info and setup-system HTML screen is still not showing up correctly and will not allow me to enable options.

After reading you last response, I reset WFL by a white button press while console was on the normal display screen. Debug showed a short pause but then continued to upload to sites without issue.

What about the WFL/edit screen being blank? Is this normal?

Offline Bobvelle

• Contributor
« Reply #1324 on: August 05, 2019, 11:14:20 AM »
Well it stopped sending data again this morning, the moment I logged on to it from my LAN. Now debug just shows 'Renew RTD, Renew Hi/Lo' and nothing more.
So...That's it? I Have to buy a new one now?
If I had just kept using firmware v 2.16, I would have a perfectly working logger  ](*,)
Not even sure why I decided to update it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 11:19:00 AM by Bobvelle »