Author Topic: Help me pick a weather station!  (Read 9476 times)

Offline Comanche

Help me pick a weather station!
« on: September 16, 2009, 12:28:13 AM »
hello. I've been looking at getting a new, more complete weather station. Right now i have a La Crosse basic station, with outdoor temp, indoor temp, humidity, barometer. I've had it for a year and it has served me well. What I'm looking for is a more advanced weather station with a anemometer(not sure if i spelled it right), rain gauge, outdoor temp/ humidity, barometer,all that good stuff. :)
I'm doing a project for my AG class at my H.S. and i will be tracking the weather from now until January, I decide to do this project because i would like to become a meteorologist in a few years. This project is worth a very large chunk of my grade so i would like to do it right, and not use data from a internet weather site( also because it's a good chance to buy a better station) The most that i can possibly spend is $200 or so.

I cannot upload to the internet because I use dial up, so it's not something i need. Though a computer program would be a nice feature.
what would be good brands too look into?
:)

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
Re: Help me pick a weather station!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 01:43:59 AM »
Have you looked in to the davis weather stations??

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline Comanche

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 02:49:34 AM »
I've been reading about them. But most of them with the features i would like cost more than my budget allows for.I can spend up to $200.

I just noticed this-http://www.ambientweather.com/orscwmwiwest.html
it;s a Oregon Scientific WMR968-JD Wireless Weather Station. On sale for $189.
I guess this is the same one? http://www.ambientweather.com/wmorscwiprwe.html
only difference i can tell is it;s $10 more and not green?

does anyone have any experience with these models?

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 04:19:15 AM »
You would probably be better off saving up for a Davis VP2.  They can be had for around $389.00 and up.

When you consider the superior quality and longevity, the VP2 is actually cheaper to own over the long haul.

Just ask all the folks who upgraded to one after buying some of the stations you mentioned.   Add the costs of both together and you will see what I am getting at.  ;)

P.S.  The data packets these stations upload are very small, so a dial-up connection would still work.  You would just have to limit your upload interval to something like every 30 minutes or so, cause I assume that you are not connected all the time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 04:22:50 AM by WeatherGoose »

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 06:58:07 AM »
Commanche,
I have a 968 and its a great intro/intermediate station. Almost 4 years now, and aside from maybe needing an "extra" $25 sensor, no issues.  And fits your budget.  All you would need is a serial cable very cheap at computer store (or serial to usb adapter) and some software to get this talking to your computer.  But it comes with VWS base if you buy at ambient. Or you could upgrade.  I would either get the base for free or get the internet edition at the upgrade price $60(middle one not much point). While you might be on dial up now, you never know in the future.

As for "wait and get a Davis", in a perfect world this would be fine, but you would also need weatherlink, so then you are looking around $600 all in with shipping / tax  / software. 

Andrew

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
Each of the different stations have +'s and -'s.  I have a LaCrosse 2315 and an OS WMR968.  I am happy with both.  However, the 2315 is strictly battery operated and has a longer update time.  The 968 RH sensor is crap  ](*,)  and I replaced it with a THGR122N digital battery operated sensor.  The 2315 has all sensors connected to the central transmitter with wires.  The 968 sensors are separate and can be placed at different locations.  You can get a 2315 (or similar model) for around $100.  I use WUHU software which was free  =D>  and upload my data to the internet using dialup (where the screen name came from).

WMR968

WS 2315

Good luck!

Greg
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 07:32:31 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline offroadjosh

• Davis Vp2 Wireless- VWS 14 P90 Serial Data logger
  • Forecaster
  • Montana Firefighter
    • My Website=)
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:39:26 AM »
Well you could also look in to the vantage vue....  (The base  cable model of the VP2 is i believe $336 with the low price quote on ambient, while the wireless is $356.) I have the wireless VP2 and i love it, i did have to purchase the logger and i made a choice to buy VWS(glad i did). IF i where you i would save a bit to get the VP2. Then save more to get the logger and vws if you want it.

Josh
Josh Patten

Davis VP2 Wireless -May 2008
VWS 14.00P90\WL 5.9.9/Plus others!
Skywarn trained
CoCoRaHS member
Smith Valley Fire Dept Firefighter:)
http://josh.northwestwx.com/station/usa.htm
CWOP-DW0711
Kestrel 2000 hand held anemometer
Cocorahs 4in rain gauge
Custom co

Offline tomwxman

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 06:13:16 PM »
I've been reading about them. But most of them with the features i would like cost more than my budget allows for.I can spend up to $200.

I just noticed this-http://www.ambientweather.com/orscwmwiwest.html
it;s a Oregon Scientific WMR968-JD Wireless Weather Station. On sale for $189.
I guess this is the same one? http://www.ambientweather.com/wmorscwiprwe.html
only difference i can tell is it;s $10 more and not green?

does anyone have any experience with these models?

The only difference is indeed the green JD logo--functionally they are identical.

The "On sale for $189" is very suspect to me--it appears not to include the base VWS software, so if you need that you have to pay +$30 i.e. then the JD becomes $219 vs $199 for the standard product!!!  :oops:

In any case with your budget the 968 is I think a fine way to get started. I have that setup, with an extra JD console, and have used numerous different types of software with it so it should serve you well especially for the short period of time (thru January) that you need everything to work perfectly! ;)

Good luck and congrats on choosing Meteorology as your future specialty. Heaven knows we need expertise in that area for the near-and-distant future!!

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 07:21:23 PM »
 :-) Hello Comanche:
You should feel comfortable purchasing what you can afford.
I have an OS WMR 968, and have spent three times it's original cost "playing" with different sensors and radiation shields, purchasing another console, etc.
I learned from this, and admit that it was fun, but now I'd go for a Davis.
You too, may have to start out small, and you will enjoy this hobby regardless.
There's plenty of advice on this forum for OS owners.
The important aspect of this hobby is simply having fun!
Good Luck!
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Comanche

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
I would be very happy if the sensors lasted a year around here. Being that it gets to 90-100*+ quite often all summer. The sun is brutal on plastic outdoors here in Eastern WA.

I'm thinking I'm going to get the OS 968. It seems to be a decent middle of the road station. one problem,my laptop doesn't have a serial port.Will it work to plug it into the usb port?
Is their anything else i might need?

i allready found a place to install the anemometer, on the roof of my grandparents house, on their decommissioned chimney, or the old tripod for the TV antenna. Partly the reason i would like solar powered ones. So i dont have to climb the roof to change battery's.
How would i go about mounting the rain gauge? would i want it up high too?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2009, 09:31:29 PM »
I can tell you the Davis stuff easily handles 30-40C (90-110F) all summer long.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2009, 09:40:03 PM »
I've been running with a LaCrosse 2310 for about 5 years with the last 2 and 1/2 years being here in Thailand's tropical climate. During the hotter season the temps get up near 40c (105 f) and so far so good with my sensors. I compare with an International airport 1/2 mile away and temperature readings stay less than 1/2 degree F with each other. I'm running in wired mode though to provide faster updates.

Offline Comanche

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »
I can tell you the Davis stuff easily handles 30-40C (90-110F) all summer long.
yes but they do cost atleast $150+ more than what i can spend. My cheap La Crosse thermometer station has handeled it's self for over a year now, so i'm not worried about stuff failing quickly. :-)

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 12:54:07 AM »
Maybe someone will give you a good deal on a used previously owned station.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
I would be very happy if the sensors lasted a year around here. Being that it gets to 90-100*+ quite often all summer. The sun is brutal on plastic outdoors here in Eastern WA.

I'm thinking I'm going to get the OS 968. It seems to be a decent middle of the road station. one problem,my laptop doesn't have a serial port.Will it work to plug it into the usb port?
Is their anything else i might need?

i allready found a place to install the anemometer, on the roof of my grandparents house, on their decommissioned chimney, or the old tripod for the TV antenna. Partly the reason i would like solar powered ones. So i dont have to climb the roof to change battery's.
How would i go about mounting the rain gauge? would i want it up high too?

I think you'll enjoy the 968.  There's a few things you'll need to do.

First, you need to download and read this:  http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf.  It's got great info about sensor placement.

Second, you need to download and read the Radio Shack instruction manual:
http://www.radioshack.com/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/6301016_PM_EN.pdf.  The OS manual is not very detailed.  This RS version is the same thing with a different name.

Third, go to WUHU and download the software.  It's easy to use and there's a great support group for any of your questions.

Fourth, you'll need to get a SR100 shield from ambientweather (or where ever you find the best deal).

Once you get all that done, you'll be ready for weather underground, cwop, and weatherforyou.

And remember, there's always answers and opinions here!

Have fun,

Greg   :grin:

Whew!  And I haven't even had my coffee yet!   :shock:

EDIT:  Also, you'll need a serial to usb converter/adapter thing.  They're cheap if you look around.  I'm sure there are folks here that can recommend a good one.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 08:04:05 AM by Slow Modem »
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »
FOr a cheap serial-USB, http://www.dealextreme.com has them.  Not sure if your chosen station needs a specific chipset.  the Prolific chipset seems to be the best FWIW.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Comanche

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 09:06:43 PM »
Well i will hopefully be pulling the trigger on the OS one sometime in the next few days. Wooo!
thanks for all the info sofar!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 03:37:15 PM »
Not that it's my first choice for a weather station, but I've owned a Oregon Scientific WMR100 for almost two years and it would do what you want, and best of all, it's in your price range. I'm currently using a WMR100B for my station and it's worked ok. Right now my temp sensor is acting up and because I can't just replace that sensor, I'm going to replace the whole weather station. They've changed the setup since I bought mine and the temp sensor is an individual unit now. And I'm actually replacing everything with a WMR100N within a month.

As much as I'd like to have a Davis... it's not in the cards right now!

Offline Comanche

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »
It showed up today, I'm so exited to get it set up and working

Offline TorH

• Forecaster
    • Været på Fauske
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 03:34:14 AM »
Congratulation with a new wx station  =D>

So now you must get it innstalled, busy weekend for you  ;) Enjoy yourself  :grin:

Next step it's a weathersite then?
Davis Vantage PRO2 wireless
VWS V14.00 p103, WD ver.10.37N, WL 5.8.2, VVP.
WeatherFlash
DW1549
WeatherUnderground: INORDLAN14
http://bjornli.net                     

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »
It showed up today, I'm so exited to get it set up and working

=D> Yay!  We're all looking forward to seeing your data!
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Comanche

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 11:52:51 AM »
Might be next week before i can get it set up. They are predicting snow/rain tonight and tommrow with a temp in the low 30's tonight.

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
Might be next week before i can get it set up. They are predicting snow/rain tonight and tomorrow with a temp in the low 30's tonight.

Sounds like the perfect time to get it set up.  Active weather. :lol:

Congrats.
Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline info

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
Davis Instruments 6250 Vantage Vue Wireless Weather Station