Author Topic: What's wrong with Davis consoles?  (Read 7917 times)

Offline Ken7

Re: What's wrong with Davis consoles?
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2019, 12:20:53 PM »
No defensive posts here.

Offline davefr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2019, 01:22:08 PM »
No defensive posts here.

If and when Davis get's around to updating the console, I sure hope they provide an option for B&W, primitive font/icons and hard wired internet to please the legacy folks.  None of this newfangled technology for them.  :lol:

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2019, 01:35:25 PM »
...and hard wired internet to please the legacy folks.

I rather think you're still in the exclusively home hobbyist mindset here. A lot of commercial/business/academic etc users won't want to rely on WiFi and some at least would insist on a wired network connection too. But that looks like how Davis are thinking anyway, judging from the 6100 WLL unit.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2019, 01:40:14 PM »
If and when Davis get's around to updating the console, I sure hope they provide an option for B&W, primitive font/icons and hard wired internet to please the legacy folks.  None of this newfangled technology for them.  :lol:

Me thinks that findu.com's panel.cgi interface will suffice for those who like the old-school display:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/panel.cgi?call=K2BIG&units=english&led=1

On a side note, I'd *really* like to see something like this as a "live" weewx skin for my always-on tablet.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Ken7

« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »
No defensive posts here.

I was even thinking who needs these new fangled electrical cords? A crank generator should suffice. I do like your B&W legacy option! ;)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
the future if you get swayed by new technology sometimes they dont need any knowledge you just plug it in and pay the bill ..as always need a bit of a sense of humour its called plug and pay..

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2019, 02:36:04 PM »
Wifi is an option for the Davis console.

The bottom line is, what makes other consoles superior to a Davis one? Color? Not my definition of superiority, unless it's my OLED TV. I see data that everyone else see's, if not more so at a glance. 

With that, it's a beautiful day here in the SW and since I don't own a smart phone (that's right), so to enjoy it I think I'll roll out to my back porch and listen to the NFC title game on something called an EHH EMM RAY DEE OOO. I guess I'll just have to imagine it in color or I'll certainly miss out.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2019, 02:48:35 PM »
Maybe its just preference and mocking that makes no difference whatsoever.
It's partly preference, but the hyperbole gets to me.  If we say we're happy with our consoles we're accused of not understanding that prettiness and reliability and function can all go together, as if by not storming Davis HQs and holding them hostage until they provide us with colorful consoles, then we're complacent, ignorant, and against progress.   :lol:

Also, as I recall it's been as much as said on this thread that Davis could easily and cheaply provide us with an updated and pretty console, as if their refusal to do so is some kind of a conspiracy and/or blatant contempt for their customers.    :twisted:

I don't know, maybe Davis is stupid for not coming out with a new model console each year, because there probably are a lot of people who would buy the new model and trash their perfectly good old console just to have the latest and greatest.  On the other hand, I suspect those who are so used to cheap mass-produced consumer electronic junk may not fully understand why or why not Davis does what they do.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2019, 03:04:05 PM »
....I don't know, maybe Davis is stupid for not coming out with a new model console each year, because there probably are a lot of people who would buy the new model and trash their perfectly good old console just to have the latest and greatest.....

Arh yes the Apple business model

Offline Ken7

« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Good grief, the defensiveness of some here is stunning. Nobody is insulting your children or spouse. Simple preferences and suggestions by some. Nobody is being critical of anyone that’s happy with the current console. However the snippy remarks by some who are happy, certainly seem very critical of anyone who dares suggest they might like something different.

Live and let live gentlemen.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: January 20, 2019, 03:38:39 PM »
Good grief, the defensiveness of some here is stunning. Nobody is insulting your children or spouse. Simple preferences and suggestions by some. Nobody is being critical of anyone that’s happy with the current console. However the snippy remarks by some who are happy, certainly seem very critical of anyone who dares suggest they might like something different.

I guess it's stuff like this that might make some think that some are being critical of those who are happy with their current console:

Actually, to be totally objective, the scroll “raining cats & dogs” can be construed as a graphic cartoon. Personally I think it’s silly and out of place.

However it amazes me that some can’t see that the same information currently provided by the VP2 or VU console, can’t be wrapped up in an updated & fresh look with better readability, graphics and heaven forbid, color. Many here seem to think it’s one or the other, good data and reliability or glitz with lacking information or poor reliability. Good grief, it is possible to have both in 2019 and Davis could do it if they so desired. They just don’t.

Yeah, and the 2 orange juice cans, connected by a string, worked pretty well when I was a kid. After all, I was able to hear a voice at the other end. Who needs those dang dial up telephones?

These attitudes, if prevalent, would stop the advancement of technology in its tracks. Yikes!

You don't see these posts as being critical, hyperbolic, and even "snippy"?

Offline Ken7

« Reply #111 on: January 20, 2019, 03:45:55 PM »

I guess it's stuff like this that might make some think that some are being critical of those who are happy with their current console:

Actually, to be totally objective, the scroll “raining cats & dogs” can be construed as a graphic cartoon. Personally I think it’s silly and out of place.

However it amazes me that some can’t see that the same information currently provided by the VP2 or VU console, can’t be wrapped up in an updated & fresh look with better readability, graphics and heaven forbid, color. Many here seem to think it’s one or the other, good data and reliability or glitz with lacking information or poor reliability. Good grief, it is possible to have both in 2019 and Davis could do it if they so desired. They just don’t.

Yeah, and the 2 orange juice cans, connected by a string, worked pretty well when I was a kid. After all, I was able to hear a voice at the other end. Who needs those dang dial up telephones?

These attitudes, if prevalent, would stop the advancement of technology in its tracks. Yikes!

You don't see these posts as being critical, hyperbolic, and even "snippy"?

No, in the first case there was nothing snippy about it. I was simply pointing out that the responses were unnecessarily harsh. We're talking about a console, not someone's children.

In the 2nd case, that was in response to this and I think it was entirely appropriate. You don't see this as 'snippy'?

"Is this just a generational thing? No WiFi, No Bluetooth, No touch screen, No colour display, oh my how can this be? Lost our landline last month, checked down the road, one house a thirteen year old answered the door, just checking if you landline is working, get a funny look, she says .. what's a landline, arh ok, thanks anyway, last year was ripped up by a severe storm, killed the entire digital/mobile network for a week, no worries just used the dialup internet on the landline, some people wouldn't have a clue what those squirrely little noises were all about, I have a mobile that actually makes phone calls where so called smart phones don't have a signal, and they call these new phones smart phones, I call em dumb phones but hey they have a colour touch screen and 15mp camera and can download all those useless apps yet half the time can't make a simple phone call"

At any rate I don't see this thread as being productive at this point, so I'll bow out. Have a good day everyone.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #112 on: January 20, 2019, 04:05:36 PM »

At any rate I don't see this thread as being productive at this point, so I'll bow out. Have a good day everyone.
Glad to see that you had no part in the escalation of rhetoric and the degradation of this thread.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: January 20, 2019, 04:18:34 PM »
'snippy' if that's what you call reality, then so be it, but I don't think I will be doing 'an apple' when a new console is released, will leave that to those desperate for the latest and greatest

I myself want to see fibre interfaces, USB and Ethernet are well dated now, then again would probably end up complaining about the power drain?   

Offline jzinckgra

• Raymond, ME
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2019, 12:17:09 PM »
“affordable with spare parts support? (ie better then Davis sensor parts/replacement support)”

that is probably the most inexperienced response you could dream up .. as i posted above i have had experience of both and just dont understand where you get this idea .. it doesnt add up to anyone who has had experience of both ..i dont dream it up i have sat there watching the ambients go all wrong,erratic under adverse weather conditions and ive sat here with the davis watch it do i exactly as expected and live to tell the tale the next day..

bottom line is budget ,what is justifiable in personal terms of affordable and if your just going to buy a weather station based on console and ignore the durability then so be it .. there are numerous brands all offering colorful displays buts its what on the end of it that really matters .

using third party options is not a negative in fact it highlights it is expandable ,data is accessible and shows flexibility and this forum has a wealth of knowledge to do pretty much anything you want ..so i ask a question how does the ws2000 send data to my own personal website not wundergoud or alike? do i need to hack the firmware, look for other third party options ..

if the console is your top criteria over data then so be it , its what matters to you is the most important its your money all i have done is give you first hand of both and the outcome..

and we can make it look pretty and reliable also using the wealth of information found on this forum...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Use Weather Display and have it pull the data from the ambientweather site. That's what I was told, but have not tried it.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »
I just want to point out that, i certainly wouldnt swap to a station purely for its console, for me, data is foremost, thats never been my point, i was just saying that i would prefer a Davis console thats more with the times, that cant be too much to want or ask for, consoles cannot cost too much to make,  there are some nice ones where the whole station costs less than a Davis console and thats without the logger. I still prefer my old OS 968 console compared to the Davis, hell, theres a temp data on my Davis console that i aint got a clue what it is, trying to get out of the alarms or turn them off needs 30 minutes in the manual and was it so hard to include the direction degrees at the same time, theres room for it. Granted, the cheaper stations with the nicer consoles just do not cut it sensor wise but thats what im saying, ignore the sensor side of it, Davis has them down to a T to a certain extent, just bring the console up to date that fits in to this century, my bad, meant decade and i would gladly buy another, i want 3 more, but no way am i paying that just for the console that looks like a 1980's games console, i would rather keep my 968 consoles where i want to be able to see data at a glance. the Davis console is sat where i am the most and the station has the Envoy.

Please, I dont want my comment mocked, i dont mock others, so would expect the same courtesy and respect my opinion, thats all it is after all :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2019, 02:02:33 PM »
Goodness gracious, what is not to like about http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/davconvp2CU.php
And if I had a touch screen laptop it would even be easier to click the buttons ;)

Ok, maybe you don't like that one, then how about http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/davconvueCU.php

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2019, 02:29:32 PM »
...theres a temp data on my Davis console that i aint got a clue what it is...
What does it say above the temp data?

If it says "Temp 2", or some other number, does a neighbor have a Davis station?

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2019, 02:52:03 PM »
Goodness gracious, what is not to like about http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/davconvp2CU.php
And if I had a touch screen laptop it would even be easier to click the buttons ;)

Ok, maybe you don't like that one, then how about http://www.komokaweather.com/weather/davconvueCU.php

Enjoy,
Paul

My laptops are touchscreen, and it's very handy for swiping through webpages and general browser control or clicking through windows etc, wouldn't be without one now, when I go to my friends to help her with hers, I get so frustrated cause its not touchscreen lol

...theres a temp data on my Davis console that i aint got a clue what it is...
What does it say above the temp data?

If it says "Temp 2", or some other number, does a neighbor have a Davis station?

No, no number it shows up in normal, ie no extra temps, I do have a soil temp, soil moisture and extra temp but it does not match any of them, will see if my phone will do a low res image and show you, it's the 4C under baro
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2019, 02:56:57 PM »

Enjoy,
Paul

I do like that, never got round to looking into it though, thing is, its still web based so you still need to open something to look at it, unlike an actual console :)
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2019, 03:09:19 PM »

No, no number it shows up in normal, ie no extra temps, I do have a soil temp, soil moisture and extra temp but it does not match any of them, will see if my phone will do a low res image and show you, it's the 4C under baro
Wouldn't that be your leaf temp then, or whatever you're measuring the moisture of?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2019, 03:15:45 PM »
I'm not a Davis owner but the 4C under the Barometer seems to me like it is probably dew point temperature.

I'm also not trying to be rude. But my comments seem to be falling on deaf ears. Ambient having cheaper sensors is a thing of the past. The newest generation uses Sensirion I2C bus sensors with SHT30 temp/humidity sensors. I don't have specifics on the rain gauge but I can tell you that my rain gauge is right smack tracking precise enough compared to nearby VP2s.  Granted I know I probably won't keep up with really high anemometer speeds if a hurricane came through. But still please stop with the Davis has superior sensors. In fact Davis has a whole fiasco with their SHT31 sensor so lets not sweep that under the rug. I in fact can if I choose install a superior SHT35 or SHT85 and Davis can't.

I'm not saying Ambient is superior. There is no superior system. They all have their pros and cons. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind to go one way or the other. I just want factual information being said. I'm pretty fair to what pros Davis has to offer. I just ask that every else do so also.

And I'm a big Davis fan even though I don't own one. If a VP3 comes out...and it has I2C bus and a better console then I'll ditch Ambient.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 08:57:54 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2019, 03:20:58 PM »
I'm not a Davis owner but the 4C under the Barometer seems to me like it is probably dew point temperature.

Outdoor temp 3.2, RH 81%, DP 4?

I doubt it.

Offline Theo

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2019, 03:30:39 PM »

I'm also not trying to be rude. But my comments seem to be falling on def ears. Ambient having cheaper sensors is a thing of the past. The newest generation uses Sensirion I2C bus sensors with SHT30 temp/humidity sensors. I don't have specifics on the rain gauge but I can tell you that my rain gauge is right smack tracking precise enough compared to nearby VP2s.  Granted I know I probably won't keep up with really high anemometer speeds if a hurricane came through. But still please stop with the Davis has superior sensors. In fact Davis has a whole fiasco with their SHT31 sensor so lets not sweep that under the rug. I in fact can if I choose install a superior SHT35 or SHT85 and Davis can't.

I'm not saying Ambient is superior. There is no superior system. They all have their pros and cons. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind to go one way or the other. I just want factual information being said. I'm pretty fair to what pros Davis has to offer. I just ask that every else do so also.

And I'm a big Davis fan even though I don't own one. If a VP3 comes out...and it has I2C bus and a better console then I'll ditch Ambient.

Nobody wants to hear they have an ugly baby.  The debate about color vs. b/w is silly.  Who would go buy a tablet or laptop that was only b/w because it had "better components"?   Davis seems to have more accurate gear, but I set up my WS-2000 in 30 minutes, THIRTY, start to finish and 20 minutes of it was mounting the sensor array.  It also seems VERY accurate  compared to analog instruments.

If Davis comes out with a new generation of consoles that are somewhere within this century of features, I would consider moving to that when my WS-2000 dies.  But frankly, I can replace the entire outdoor array for $80, and thus far, it has just worked.  I also got my entire WS-2000 with 3 extra remote sensors for $280, so I could replace the entire thing for less than one of a full Davis array. 

I don't mind paying for quality, but I do not have 20 year old computers, cars, or tablets, why would have have a weather station console that was designed last century?

That is the exact reasoning I went for the WS-2000 instead of the Davis when exiting my Acu-rite rig.

Offline Bashy

• Forecaster
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2019, 03:37:10 PM »

Wouldn't that be your leaf temp then, or whatever you're measuring the moisture of?

Leaf wetness does not have a temp else that would be much higher cause its modified with a heater ;)
I dont think the soil moisture has its own temp cause thats a homebuilt just as a soil moisture.
Having said that about the moisture, when i show the soil moisture, its showing a temp of 3.9C,
of which i am assuming is my soil temp sensor, Is it possible that its the soil temp but rounded off????
Kind regards
Bashy

anything