Author Topic: Birds on the anemometer  (Read 5451 times)

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
Birds on the anemometer
« on: January 23, 2018, 09:50:48 AM »
I know I am not the first to experience this issue.  For some reason, a bunch of small birds have found that it is fun to sit on all parts of the anemometer (wind vane, the arm holding it, even one time on one of the cups...) and of course leave droppings everywhere.  I tried using zip ties on the arm and wind vane to create (bird spikes) but that did not do a lot.  I have tried using fake owls to scare them away, but they are not concerned.  Besides the nuisance of getting out a ladder so I can get up there and clean everything off, a bird sitting on the wind vane of course messes with my data.  Does anybody have other suggestions or experiences that might help me figure out this issue?  ](*,)

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
Re: Birds on the anemometer
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:20:20 AM »
Could you setup birdfeeders on the site as far away from the pws as possible and near trees and bushes? You might be able to relocate the birds to a more favorable location for both them and yourself. Do you know what kind of birds they are? 

Offline PANDY weather

• PANDY weather
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
What about something that makes a noise when there's a breeze blowing or some flapping ribbons of something, perhaps cut up strips fro a plastic bag. I know these will only work when there's some wind, but they are better than nothing.

PANDY weather.

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:34:19 AM »
Ah that is not a half-bad idea.  I think my wife would like that too  :lol:
In terms of the type of birds....small ones, haha.  I am not sure, but I could probably take a picture and Google it.

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
Yes, I could try something else flapping.  A few months ago I tried a few pieces of tin-foil, even for the reflection of the sun.  But I think the birds just used those to catch a tan or something, haha.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 10:36:37 AM »
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:39:36 AM »
The type of bird would dictate the type of birdseed. If they have a source of free food I don't see why they would continue to hang out on the pws.

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 10:41:14 AM »
Not a bad idea, dupreezd.  Only issue I might have is that my wind vane has a metal tip on the end of it.  Probably just for weight.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 10:43:20 AM »
mmm, how about coiling a big old fat snake around the pole. Birds and snakes are not friends.
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 10:48:53 AM »
LOL.  I saw a comment on your thread about someone putting something "better" to perch upon just above the anemometer.  I could try that too.  The station is on a 10' fence rail that is stuck about 2' in the ground.  So I could just slide the station down a few inches and then mount something to the top of that post.

It's funny, because I have had this "issue" for like 6 months, and I had mostly given up on it and accepted the fact that I need to clean it every other week (I actually need to clean the entire thing soon...), but yesterday I just boiled over with frustration after going out there like 5 times to scare the birds away.  They are just toying with my emotions.

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 10:54:34 AM »
but yesterday I just boiled over with frustration after going out there like 5 times to scare the birds away.
I feel your pain, been there. My wife was worried about my blood pressure.  :lol:
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 03:30:48 PM »
I see you are located in NC.
Maybe these birds are just "snow birds", sorry I had to.
Maybe they'll move on when the weather starts changing.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
I see you are located in NC.
Maybe these birds are just "snow birds", sorry I had to.
Maybe they'll move on when the weather starts changing.

That's why we need photos of the birds!

Offline Cuboodle

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
Pellet gun

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »
This works best with the 7911, several short lengths of electrical wiring conduit split length ways (or split wiring loom) to slip over the supporting arm, upside down birds.   

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
upside down birds.
:lol:  =D>
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 11:55:20 AM »
LOL, you guys are killing me!

They've been harassing me since like May, so "snow birds" or not, I don't think they're going anywhere.
I wanted to take them out with a pellet gun, but my wife shot that down real quick (pun intended).
So I am forced to find a more humane option

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 11:57:47 AM »
This works best with the 7911, several short lengths of electrical wiring conduit split length ways (or split wiring loom) to slip over the supporting arm, upside down birds.   

Yes, I think my plan is to measure the length of the entire anemometer, then run a piece of metal from the pole (which happens to be fence rail) up and over the anemometer, then use some extra bird spikes I got when I had to replace the rain bucket debris guard (wind blew it out and my lawn mower found it) and solder them on there.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2018, 01:01:01 PM »
So I presume you're not going to try to relocate them with a birdfeeder.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
Have you tried that yourself or know someone who has?

It sounds as if it may be good in theory, but if too close they may attract more birds, if too far I wouldn't think there'd be a significant difference. Birds seem to have a fairly large area of travel, at least more than the one or two acres most may have for their weather station and bird feeders. If the birds were starving they probably wouldn't be sitting on the anemometer to begin with.  Besides food, birds also need places to sit and rest, or whatever it is birds do.  Plus, it seems to me that birds often seek out the highest vantage (pro or vue) point they can find, so unless you place the birdfeeders at least as high as the anemometer, I would think they'd just eat their fill and go sit on the anemometer.

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 09:33:33 PM »
Could you setup birdfeeders on the site as far away from the pws as possible and near trees and bushes? You might be able to relocate the birds to a more favorable location for both them and yourself. Do you know what kind of birds they are?

If the feeder was aprox 100' -- 400' away and in an area where there are trees and/or bushes, I think it would be easy to move certain types of birds away from the pws and have them focus much attention on the food and surrounding flora. Let's say they were goldfinches; they travel in flocks and love thistle so if they had a source of thistle they could very well move as a group away from the pws and to the area where the feeder is located.

I have my pws out back of my house didn't have any trouble with birds. (Fingers crossed for 2018). There are plenty of trees around the area where the pws is and I also have birdhouses up nearby (and feeders about 500' away and on the opposite side of my house). Birds find food easily and quickly.

BTW, it's a federal offense to shoot a songbird :-({|=

Here's my thistle feeder good for goldfinches, purple finches, juncos, and etc:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 09:48:39 PM »
I know I am not the first to experience this issue.  For some reason, a bunch of small birds have found that it is fun to sit on all parts of the anemometer (wind vane, the arm holding it, even one time on one of the cups...) and of course leave droppings everywhere.  I tried using zip ties on the arm and wind vane to create (bird spikes) but that did not do a lot.  I have tried using fake owls to scare them away, but they are not concerned.  Besides the nuisance of getting out a ladder so I can get up there and clean everything off, a bird sitting on the wind vane of course messes with my data.  Does anybody have other suggestions or experiences that might help me figure out this issue?  ](*,)

Two possible solutions (assuming you are referring to a VP2):

1.  Mount the anemometer upside down.  [Ref: Davis Vue]

2.  Accept the situation - that's the NOAA solution.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2018, 10:10:03 AM »
Here's my thistle feeder good for goldfinches, purple finches, juncos, and etc:
:-)

Now that's an idea! Set up bird feeders to attract black bears to scare off the birds.  Maybe put a little catnip in them to attract bobcats too.  Or go to the animal shelter and adopt all their house cats.

Don't they set up weather stations at airports especially to attract birds to keep them off the tarmac?

:-)

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »
...  Or go to the animal shelter and adopt all their house cats.

All that does in this part of the country is attract the coyotes.

Offline stefanbagnato

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 04:34:49 PM »

I am not against doing this, just have to figure out what kind of birds they are first.

Ha, is that seriously listed as one of their solutions?  What about when the droppings pile up enough that it slows down the spinning cups?

Or go to the animal shelter and adopt all their house cats.

We have 2 indoor cats, and any time they see a bird it's like they see a steak and $100000 outside the window