Author Topic: Weatherflow Weather34 template available  (Read 3828 times)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Weatherflow Weather34 template available
« on: December 14, 2017, 05:37:30 AM »
Weatherflow Weather34 template available  for field testers of AIR + SKY. you need to have both units to fully populate the template it will not work with AIR unit only.

It is available at present on request only until product SKY is available to purchase.

See screenshot only requires your weather flow station ID , it uses the Developer API method and in the new year it will use the
web socket method allowing to display 3 second updates realtime for wind data .

web socket offers absolute realtime values .
requests via https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/ at the foot of the page. I will then simply send you a personal link to download.brian

« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:39:52 AM by weatherist34 »

Offline kokos1405

Re: Weatherflow Weather34 template available
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 02:16:08 AM »
Very nice. From your experience is it possible to have a map with lightning’s like Blitzortung have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 02:27:02 AM »
Very nice. From your experience is it possible to have a map with lightning’s like Blitzortung have?

Hello

I’m not currently aware of anything however I see no reason why not in the future it could happen has the latitude and longitude is sent via the api . I guess currently hardware testing is taking priority but there existing hardware for coastal network data is viewable on a map. So who knows it is certainly feasible.

Brian

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 07:28:56 AM »
Can it use UDP if it is on the same network as the hub?

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 08:51:34 AM »
I'm going to keep it at API level for now it is far easier in general for the end user to use . I will also have it using the websocket method this is far friendlier (for me at the moment) for displaying dynamically changing content i.e our weather station data and I have relatively good success with this during the last few days . UDP Im very uneducated and absolutely no  knowledge of UDP on how it communicates to a hosted server on the world wide web , I understand the local router point and use of port 50222 perhaps I could just use dd-wrt based router and redirect the content ?

if you understand how does UDP interact with a hosted server ? .  I can see how software can easily use this but Ive yet to understand how to get a hosted server.

im all ears and willing to learn

Brian

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2017, 09:43:56 AM »
I am not a programmer but if you are using UDP you do not connect to any server. The program just has to "listen" in on the local network traffic. The hub sends out UDP packets every time it get data from the sensors (and once a minute with other data). The program can see those packets, decodes them and uses that data. No internet connection is needed and no set up in the program is needed by the user other than to turn on the UDP function.

I am not sure what is needed to be added to the program to listen in on the network. If you want to see your network traffic and see what the Weather Flow UDP packets look like you can use a program like Wireshark.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 09:53:42 AM by hankster »

Offline Forever

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2017, 10:16:58 AM »
Looks great! I still only have the Air part of my station but I'm looking forward to using this template when I get my Sky.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2017, 10:22:59 AM »
FWIW, I have cobbled together working UDP code for weewx up in Github.  Been running continuously on a Raspberry Pi here for a few months now.  PM me for a link if you can't find it.

If you can run Python or a similar language on the local subnet with the Hub, it is not really complex to pick off the UDP packets and pass them along to an externally-hosted weather web site.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2017, 12:03:11 PM »
I am not a programmer but if you are using UDP you do not connect to any server. The program just has to "listen" in on the local network traffic. The hub sends out UDP packets every time it get data from the sensors (and once a minute with other data). The program can see those packets, decodes them and uses that data. No internet connection is needed and no set up in the program is needed by the user other than to turn on the UDP function.

I am not sure what is needed to be added to the program to listen in on the network. If you want to see your network traffic and see what the Weather Flow UDP packets look like you can use a program like Wireshark.

Hello , from your reply so my understanding you need a third party software / program and computer 24/7 ? Please correct me if I am totally wrong and misunderstanding.

I have a websocket script that simply gets the data every 3 seconds you can choose also use the script to trigger other events as they happen I.e rain starts or instant lightning detection.  using the weatherflow  solution for connection
wss://ws.weatherflow.com/swd/data?api_key=20c70eae-xxxxxxxxx then use

{
  "type":"listen_rapid_start",
  "device_id":XX
}
This requires no extras for the user to configure however looking at both of these methods so far it requires the browser to be open I’ve yet to see it working unattended without the browser being active to log to Mysql contionously . It still early days for me in this area so hopefully in time I will fully understand how to get it all working unattended or without some third party app or browser to be running.

Vreihen have you tested this with the demo provided by weatherflow from there dev api page.Is it dependent on software like weewx etc ?

Kokos1405 there are aprox 1100 Air units in use to date I discovered a map but it was only a screenshot of all the Air units in use in North America I’m not sure it’s available publicly .

So far I’m preferring the API method for the template as it requires nothing more than station ID or device ID from the user so until I get my head around all this newer methods I’m going with the API ..

If your wondering why I avoid using third party apps or having a computer running 24/7 I live in a part of Istanbul where the electric randomly disappears every day or two or three times a week for hours . Whilst I have two UPS one for the meteobridge and one for my computer desktop neither of them are good for long term computer  useage . the meteobridge UPS lasts for aprox two days due to its low power consumption but the desktop UPS is good for only 30minutes max , unless I cough up for a 2000va model I might get two or 3hours out of one or really annoy the wife I install a diesel powered generator but the noise would be unbearable and I would probably be evicted to a shed in the garden forever more ..

Brian 

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 07:24:44 PM »
If electric goes out and you lose your internet connection, how does the data get from the weather station to the web site?

Personally I hate to count on 3rd party services for my data. I want to collect my own data, save it and display it as I want. I've been burned a number of times when 3rd party services have shut down or been sold and the service has been discontinued. We already have seen the problems with services like Bloomsky and Weather Underground. Not that I have an issue with WF, just that you never know what will happen 1 or 5 years from now.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:29:42 PM by hankster »

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 12:27:32 AM »
If electric goes out and you lose your internet connection, how does the data get from the weather station to the web site?

Personally I hate to count on 3rd party services for my data. I want to collect my own data, save it and display it as I want. I've been burned a number of times when 3rd party services have shut down or been sold and the service has been discontinued. We already have seen the problems with services like Bloomsky and Weather Underground. Not that I have an issue with WF, just that you never know what will happen 1 or 5 years from now.

Good morning

That depends on how the electric disappears, if it is a district wide then internet is completely gone if it is a neighborhood problem generally the internet distribution neighborhood hub  is unaffected as it is I think connected to commercial industrial UPS.  The home ups is connected to the meteobridge and router plus the console the meteobridge continues to record and collect data as per normal in both scenarios so the max min values etc are still recorded . My home ups are just relatively small 650va (meteobridge,router,console)and a 1000va (desktop and electric kettle:-) ) type .Failing all that I used to switch it over to my old iPhone and use that for internet via 3g but these days I just accept if the internet is down then there is little I can do about it.

Has for cloud based storage I never even use it for anything , often services like google is blocked for days or weeks and other services just disappear at times for numerous reasons ,you learn not to use or rely on cloud services here. These blockages just happen with no warning.

However I see your point on correlating data for personal use locally via computer ,I don’t use a any cloud or depend on them.then I also don’t specifically collect data for analysis or personal historical use. I guess I just use the weather station for real-time info . Please don’t misunderstand we have that saying each to there own and what suits one doesn’t not always suit the other .

Cloud services and alike are generally free and I think anyone with any past experiences of disruption from them shouldn’t be relying on them. You get what you pay for and in these cases your not paying nothing but when they go down it’s easy to see how people vent their frustrations however if you use a paid service then I fully understand the venting .

Anyway it’s good to see that weatherflow have there own forum now so looking forward to all the improvements and knowledge..

Offline ConligWX

• Forecaster
  • #conligwx
    • conligwx.org
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 04:40:04 AM »

you can add one of the graphs from lightningmaps to your pws site.

like here on my test site:

https://www.conligwx.org/pws1/ 

my bo site is here:  https://www.lightningmaps.org/blitzortung/europe/index.php?bouser=&bo_page=statistics&bo_show=station&bo_station_id=1114

just grab a URL from one of your images and then add it to a new popup.

Regards Simon
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus (6162UK) • Daytime FARS • WeatherLink Live • AirLink • PurpleAir PA-II-SD • CumulusMX •

Offline kokos1405

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 04:55:57 AM »
I know that but I want to see from my weatherflow station the lightning’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 04:01:15 AM »
Good morning

firstly I have had the option of counting and logging strikes to graph for sometime, however you need to be using a mysql setup it looks like this and it has been running at https://weather34.com since may 2017

This morning I have acknowledge there are lots of requests for Air sensor inclusion if you are an existing meteobridge user or Cumulus user and have a AIR sensor you can now use that
in the top modules as shown in the screenshot below . simply add your id/station via the setup screen and choose a position.

Until the SKY unit is fully available the meteobridge and cumulus versions of the template only support the Air sensor at present . However if you are testing the SKY unit then a fully supported version of the template using Air+ Sky is available on request .  you can download the updated version via https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/

sceenshot of using Air sensor with meteobridge

Brian