Author Topic: Vanatge Pro 2 Console Problem  (Read 2943 times)

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
Vanatge Pro 2 Console Problem
« on: December 10, 2017, 02:35:21 PM »
I am on my second Console (first was replaced by Davis).  The problem I had with the previous unit was incorrect barometric pressure readings.  Now after about 4 months, the replacement Console has the same problem.  In the WeatherLink software, I have it Auto Detect the COM port (3).  When I go into the WeatherLink software to set Barometer, I enter the value and click on OK, but I get the following error: "Computer gave up waiting for response from station.  Check port setting and connections."

I have pulled the batteries and the AC power supply and started setup from scratch, but still no go.

Any suggestions as to what I might try to get it working?  Surely I wouldn't get two faulty Consoles would I?

Thanks for any and all help.  I'm relatively new to this stuff.

Gord

Offline JudinNorman

Re: Vanatge Pro 2 Console Problem
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »
Why would you "I have pulled the batteries and the AC power supply and started setup from scratch, but still no go." ?

When the error said:

"Computer gave up waiting for response from station.  Check port setting and connections."

The Console isn't connected to your computer, the console has to be connected to computer in order to use the software to make changes to the console, othewise you need to make the changes using the console.

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 02:54:27 PM »
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.  My console is connected to my Widows 10 PC through a USB cable which goes to the DataLogger module in the Console.  I thought by doing a complete power reset, it might resolve my issue.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Can you pull data from the console? Yes, simple question but I don't think you are telling us anything about that  :-| Maybe you only see the pressure on the console and want to correct that...?

Regards

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 03:05:54 PM »
The Console does not show any barometric pressure, just a dashed line. And the graph shows a straight line across the middle of the graph.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 03:11:09 PM »
Maybe I didn't explain myself properly.  My console is connected to my Widows 10 PC through a USB cable which goes to the DataLogger module in the Console.  I thought by doing a complete power reset, it might resolve my issue.
If you're using strictly a USB, Com Port shouldn't even be highlighted in WL, that's for Serial, at least mines that way.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
This is another example of not providing enough details and those who try to help are just wasting their time.

First post said "Incorrect" barometer readings and now the member last post says "does not show any barometric pressure".

Not sure how you can correct an incorrect reading when there's no reading to begin with LOL

This member is just trolling,  maybe his/her Ham Radio friends are fed up with his/her antics up in Canada and now he/she has time in the cold and dark to do some antics south of the border on here.

Offline JudinNorman

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
If you're using strictly a USB, Com Port shouldn't even be highlighted in WL, that's for Serial, at least mines that way.
[/quote]

I have my USB datalogger plugged into USB computer port and have "serial" and "COM4" in the communications page in Weatherlink ! Has worked flawlessly for years.

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 03:24:00 PM »
I apologize if I offended everyone, I can assure you that is not my intention.  As I stated in my original post, I am relatively new to the hobby and may not have all the terminology correct.  I assure you that I am not trolling.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 03:28:29 PM »
I think your console is faulty. I would contact Davis, again.

Regards

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2017, 03:30:26 PM »
JudinNorman, I have my datalogger set up exactly like yours.  It is plugged into a USB port and in Weatherlink I have "serial" selected and Auto Detect finds the device on COM3

I have my USB datalogger plugged into USB computer port and have "serial" and "COM4" in the communications page in Weatherlink ! Has worked flawlessly for years.
[/quote]

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2017, 03:38:11 PM »
Are you getting any data from the console in Weatherlink?
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2017, 03:44:31 PM »
I am getting wind direction and speed, indoor and outdoor humity, indoor and outdoor temperature as well as total rain for the month and YTD in the software.

Are you getting any data from the console in Weatherlink?

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2017, 03:54:02 PM »
Since you have data from all the other sensors it sounds like the console barometer is bad.
Hard to believe that two barometers in the console could be defective.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline VA3TWT

• Blenheim Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »
I will email my vendor to see what he suggests I do next.  Thanks for the suggestions all (except for the trolling comment)

Gord

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 04:17:22 PM »

Oh, okay. I just tried it for grins and it didn't work, only USB does. :???:

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2017, 04:19:32 PM »

The USB-logger can work as "Standard USB" or as "Serial Over USB", no expert here so don't know the exact naming.

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/understanding-usb-logger-modes

Regards

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2017, 04:26:06 PM »

The USB-logger can work as "Standard USB" or as "Serial Over USB", no expert here so don't know the exact naming.

https://www.manula.com/manuals/pws/davis-kb/1/en/topic/understanding-usb-logger-modes

Regards
Not trying to hijack the thread, but thanks for the link! Lots to comprehend....not sure if I should try serial now...

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2017, 04:59:56 PM »
On July 15th, you posted:
I installed my VP2 wireless about 2 weeks ago, but recently the barometric pressure is not giving accurate readings. It is  flat lining, but had worked previously.

Now, with a replacement console after several months, you have the same symptom.

1.  This can't be a problem with your ISS, the logger, your computer, or WeatherLink software.  So, forget those things.

2.  Where/how is your console positioned?  Is there anything at all in the environment of your console that might be causing the console's barometric sensor to malfunction?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2017, 05:21:08 PM »
Thanks Dale,
I know Gord and him being a HAM, could this be an issue because of his other equipment in the house?

Paul

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 05:37:14 PM »
Thanks Dale,
I know Gord and him being a HAM, could this be an issue because of his other equipment in the house?

Paul
What frequencies does he transmit on? Are they in (near or a multiple of) the ISS's 902-928 MHz bandwidth?

FWIW, the new Itron CENTRON™ C1SR R300 Automated Meter Read System (AMRS) power company meters operate in the middle of the VP2 ISS bandwidth, ie: at 910-920 MHz...also, the power company is high-power transmitting UP to a satellite, not low-power transmitting only 1000 feet!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 07:54:55 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 05:42:03 PM »
No idea who makes the baro sensor, maybe he got a bad batch that fails down the road...twice.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2017, 05:43:47 PM »
Thanks Dale,

Paul
What frequencies does he transmit on? Are they in (near or a multiple of) the ISS's 902-928MHz bandwidth?
Not saying it can't, but how would RF affect a baro sensor?

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »
Thanks Dale,

Paul
What frequencies does he transmit on? Are they in (near or a multiple of) the ISS's 902-928MHz bandwidth?
Not saying it can't, but how would RF affect a baro sensor?
It (RF) would NOT affect the sensor itself, but rather its ELECTRONIC circuitry devices.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 05:48:19 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2017, 05:49:07 PM »
Thanks Dale,

Paul

It's possible. 

Regarding "Are they in (near or a multiple of) the ISS's 902-928MHz bandwidth?", that wouldn't really be a concern in this particular case.  That would affect the entire transmitting/receiving system, but NOT the barometric sensor, which is internal to the console.

However, it's somewhat possible that there is a sensitive or resonant circuit or wiring path, that is associated purely with the barometric sensor's configuration (etc.), that might be selectively affected by amateur transmissions.  That's in the "unlikely but not impossible" area.  And, of course, we don't know how close the console is located to transmitters, antennas, etc.

I wasn't thinking of anything in particular when I asked the question, but ..........

de W5VBQ