Author Topic: How do you have your all in one PWS mounted?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline NinnJinn

How do you have your all in one PWS mounted?
« on: September 20, 2017, 12:02:59 PM »
So I have An AcuRite pro 5 in 1 weather station. This morning while drinking my morning Chocolate Milk, (my version of coffee  :lol:) I started searching for proper ways to mount my PWS.

After reading several suggestions and reading the info on http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/CWOP-Siting.pdf ....   I am torn on how to mount my all in one.  First, was going to attach it to a 10ft pole on the south end my house to get it above all the trees for proper wind speed/direction.  but then, I have to deal with a not so ideal locations for temp, rain, humidity etc.

If I mount the all in one 5-6ft above ground level for the temp, rain, humidity sensors,  Then I am not going to have correct wind speed and direction.  At 5-6 feet in my back yard, if you feel a breeze at all, there is a storm coming and you better get yourself inside the house if you know what I mean.   In my back yard the most clearing I have is probably a 10ft radius.  So basically I would end up with a wind tunnel effect if I got any wind at all.

Front yard is a little better with space but due to the surroundings wind just whips around from the houses etc.  at any given time if you feel a breeze in the front yard, it will come from the West, north, and south Pretty much at the same time. lol

I know my best bet would be to get  separate sensors,  But right now I am just in the "ooo thats cool, I want one" stage So I do not want to spend hundreds-thousands of dollars.

So,  How do you folks have your all in one stations mounted?  How is it working out for you?
If you do not have an all in one, I would be interested in what mounting suggestions you come up with as well.

Thanks!!

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: How do you have your all in one PWS mounted?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »
I have mine mounted to a shed at each location. I used an antenna mount kit I found on Amazon and a 5' section of galvanized electrical conduit from the local big box store. So far, so good! It's high enough from the roof-line at each location as far as I can tell. My biggest issue is the terrain. In VT, we are situated in a bowl if you will. Despite the unit being roughly 15' off the ground, there's a good portion of the surrounding land that's as high or higher. So I'm sure that has an effect on my wind readings. In CT, it's the trees. I just don't have the height to clear the taller ones. Again, it probably causes an issue with the wind. Overall though, both setups have been working well. When you live in a residential area, there will always be challenges.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2017, 02:26:13 PM »
I didn't want to mount mine on my roof so I only had one area where it could be mounted. I ended up mounting my station on top of a ten foot pole. I live with the wind readings, although there's more swirling winds at that height. My neighbor has his station mounted on his house roof and my readings are a close match to his. I also prefer to know what the wind speed is closer to where my outdoor activities are rather than at 33 feet in the air. My temperature, humidity and rain readings are just fine at 10 ft and match others in the area.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 07:11:25 PM »
This morning while drinking my morning Chocolate Milk, (my version of coffee  :lol:)...

I'm glad that I am not the only one!!!  :lol:  On the last cruise that I took, I told our suite butler that I needed exactly one thing from him every day...a chocolate milk delivery at 6:00 AM and not one second later.  On a few cruises before that, I would sneak into the kiddie buffet as they opened and grab a few pint-sized cartons to re-stock my stateroom refrigerator.  On one cruise, I was actually called to the "naughty room" (place where they impound booze carried onto the ship against the rules) because I had a bottle of Yoo Hoo stuffed into my checked suitcase and it looked like alcohol in their X-ray.  It was backup chocolate milk that didn't require refrigeration, packed for an emergency if the ship's supply of the brown nectar ran short.

Back to the topic, mine is mounted on a 20-foot high pole to split the difference between the ideal wind and temperature sensor locations.  Because I also live in a bowl and would need to go 50+ feet high to get decent wind readings, that missing 12 feet or so wouldn't make a huge difference in my data.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline NinnJinn

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »

I'm glad that I am not the only one!!!  :lol:  On the last cruise that I took, I told our suite butler that I needed exactly one thing from him every day...a chocolate milk delivery at 6:00 AM and not one second later.  On a few cruises before that, I would sneak into the kiddie buffet as they opened and grab a few pint-sized cartons to re-stock my stateroom refrigerator.  On one cruise, I was actually called to the "naughty room" (place where they impound booze carried onto the ship against the rules) because I had a bottle of Yoo Hoo stuffed into my checked suitcase and it looked like alcohol in their X-ray.  It was backup chocolate milk that didn't require refrigeration, packed for an emergency if the ship's supply of the brown nectar ran short.

I am glad to know I am not the only one as well!!  "naughty room" for having yoo hoo...   :lol: :lol: :lol:  That is hilarious!!!

Offline CBXSteve

• WU PWS KTXPATTO2
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:33:52 AM »
I was lucky and had a hilltop location only a few hundred feet from the house. I used a 15' treated 4x4, sunk it in the ground, and then cut it off at about 2 feet from the ground. I then bolted 2 1x4s to the sides of the stump and used it as a splice to reattach the cut-off section.  The result is about an 11 foot mast that folds down by the removal of one bolt.

Been good for 3 years.  I did paint it white to combat mast insolarization till I figured out the aspirator fan was defective, but I don't think it's necessary if you have a working fan.

You just pull the indicated bolt to fold the mast down.

One thing I might have done differently (and I still might modify it), is to have the top 4x4 section made out of a laminated bunch of 1x4s. These treated posts tend to warp over time.  Mine isn't bad, but it could have been. Making a long laminated post sounds like fun sometimes, but I'll have plenty of beer standing by in case the"fun" part wears off.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 11:08:15 AM by CBXSteve »