Author Topic: Ancient 5 in 1 Humidity Temp Sensor  (Read 3343 times)

Offline chadkiser

Ancient 5 in 1 Humidity Temp Sensor
« on: September 26, 2017, 05:27:03 PM »
So I ordered a replacement humidity temp sensor direct from AcuRite knowing that my unit was old and I'd have to solder in the new one.  Much to my surprise it's much older than I thought and I don't think it can be replaced.  Anybody think of anything I can do to make the new sensor work?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
Re: Ancient 5 in 1 Humidity Temp Sensor
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:52:39 PM »
No.  There's nothing you can do to make it work.

Those chips are completely different and use a different mode of communication to the main board. 

Offline chadkiser

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:03:45 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe it's time to make a Frankenstein weather station with an Arduino and the 5-1 sensors

Offline tmoosetrax

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:40 PM »
would the replacement one worked with this, i know it would need to be soldered not just snapped in . Sorry picture isn't the best wasn't taking it for this reason at the time.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 08:49:05 AM »
I need to replace mine that looks like tmoosetrax's above, but they are sold out still! When will I be able to get one, or is something else compatible??

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 09:38:12 PM »
I need to replace mine that looks like tmoosetrax's above, but they are sold out still! When will I be able to get one, or is something else compatible??
Good question I need one also!!
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »
This might be worth a shot.

Someone once mentioned they had trouble with the resistors on a breakout board like this, but I don't remember the particulars.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like you could possibly get an HTU21 instead of a SHT21, which is supposedly a compatible alternative.

https://www.amazon.com/Aihasd-GY-21-Humidity-Sensor-Breakout/dp/B078XQFN1B

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2018, 08:37:41 AM »
My 5n1 humidity hit 99% today in the coastal low that just passed by that gave nearly 2 inches of rain. It hasn't hit 99% in a couple of years. I guess the soldering job I did on the ribbon cable is letting enough voltage thru to the sensor to get it reading properly again. It sure doesn't hurt to heat up the connections to reseat them if you are not getting good readings.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 07:04:03 AM »
My 5n1 humidity hit 99% today in the coastal low that just passed by that gave nearly 2 inches of rain. It hasn't hit 99% in a couple of years. I guess the soldering job I did on the ribbon cable is letting enough voltage thru to the sensor to get it reading properly again. It sure doesn't hurt to heat up the connections to reseat them if you are not getting good readings.

What do you mean by heating it up?  Mine is giving erratic temp/humidity readings and seems to be associated with higher humidity levels or something.  I have a setup just like "tmoosetrax" posted a picture of.  I also have a replacement temp/humidity sensor that has the same 4 soldered connections.  If I end up putting the new one in, is it easy to solder?  I haven't soldered in about 15 years.  There is also the white connector attached to the new sensor.  Why couldn't I just push the 4 wires into their respective spot on the white connector, maybe use a little glue of some sort?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 08:45:01 AM »
I didn't replace my thermo/hygro chip yet, and I don't need to right now because I fixed the issue of the humidity not going past 93% at night. What I did was take a soldering iron, and heated the 4 wire ribbon cable on the very top board when you take the black cover off. It says on the board "test" I believe on the 4th connection. You may have other issues with the wire, but I would start there. Inspect the connections for poor connections and heat up the end of the wires and solder them over if needed. The wires are very frail and mine were so brittle that they broke away some.

You can get a solder iron cheap at harbor freight, and it has a nice tip to it. You want a small pointed tip. It can take some practice to solder like a pro...
Nincehelser recommended cutting off the white push down on these replacement sensors and soldering them...
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 08:47:23 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 12:03:27 PM »
I didn't replace my thermo/hygro chip yet, and I don't need to right now because I fixed the issue of the humidity not going past 93% at night. What I did was take a soldering iron, and heated the 4 wire ribbon cable on the very top board when you take the black cover off. It says on the board "test" I believe on the 4th connection. You may have other issues with the wire, but I would start there. Inspect the connections for poor connections and heat up the end of the wires and solder them over if needed. The wires are very frail and mine were so brittle that they broke away some.

You can get a solder iron cheap at harbor freight, and it has a nice tip to it. You want a small pointed tip. It can take some practice to solder like a pro...
Nincehelser recommended cutting off the white push down on these replacement sensors and soldering them...

It all started during the very rainy, humid conditions here in Maryland (and all the eastern US).  One night I noticed erratic temperatures up near 114 degrees then back down to 40 degrees then back to normal multiple times.  A few days later the humidity readings started showing some odd behavior too.  I tried cleaning it and looking inside for any other problem but everything looks fine.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 01:00:29 PM »
Something got "wet". Take a hair drier and dry everything out real good inside... If this doesn't do it, you may need to work on the wiring.

Offline Inverno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 07:21:52 AM »
Something got "wet". Take a hair drier and dry everything out real good inside... If this doesn't do it, you may need to work on the wiring.

Last night we had some heavy rain, and the temperature readings went crazy.  I did get a soldering tool, just need to get some time to do it.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 11:17:17 AM »

What do you mean by heating it up?  Mine is giving erratic temp/humidity readings and seems to be associated with higher humidity levels or something.  I have a setup just like "tmoosetrax" posted a picture of.  I also have a replacement temp/humidity sensor that has the same 4 soldered connections.  If I end up putting the new one in, is it easy to solder?  I haven't soldered in about 15 years.  There is also the white connector attached to the new sensor.  Why couldn't I just push the 4 wires into their respective spot on the white connector, maybe use a little glue of some sort?
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
I noticed the Acurite 5n1 stations around me register higher temps, as much a ten degrees. 

KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2018, 01:20:08 PM »
I noticed the Acurite 5n1 stations around me register higher temps, as much a ten degrees.

I'm guessing they may have bad fans. Both of my units receive direct sunlight and appear to operate within the range of other local stations.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 03:14:54 PM »

Replace the fan motor, or buy another solar panel top with anemometer.

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »

I did one better, replaced the 5n1
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 04:16:26 PM »

I did one better, replaced the 5n1
Not necessary. I hope you didn't throw away the other unit.

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 04:18:40 PM »
No, just can't trust it anymore.   
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 04:58:27 PM »
Troll alert.

Offline Jim Ace

• Hewlett Point Beach
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 06:41:39 PM »
I see someone is back to the degrading replies, troll alert?  LOL now we know why the discussion board went offline.  SO much negativity.  I know one thing for sure,
KNYEASTR4
Ecowitt WS65
AWEKAS 14894
PWS
WeatherCloud
Windy
Weewx
CumulusMX
CWOP FW3861