Author Topic: Barometer spikes  (Read 2963 times)

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
Barometer spikes
« on: September 16, 2017, 08:50:20 PM »
Hi guys,

I have a friend who has a Vantage Vue and we just installed a Meteobridge.
It appears his system is sending Barometer spikes ocassionally for some reason.

I am going over there Monday to help him troubleshoot, but do you guys have any suggestions for what to check?

Here is his data:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=EW9689&last=48
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Barometer spikes
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 09:22:19 PM »
Just for starters make sure his Vue console has "altimeter setting" selected in the console. He may have "none" selected causing the yo-yo.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2017, 10:43:00 AM »

Does the console display match what is being sent?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2017, 11:06:35 AM »

Yes, first thing to look is it actual? Do you see spikes at the console? Most likely not so its contaminated Meteobridge data which isn't unheard of.
Randy

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2017, 11:24:27 AM »

Yes, first thing to look is it actual? Do you see spikes at the console? Most likely not so its contaminated Meteobridge data which isn't unheard of.

Well if the Meteobridge is the issue, what do you suggest?
My setup:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 12:25:59 PM »
The first thing I suggest, is answer the question.  Is this shown on the console?  Or not?

It should be really easy to tell if the console display matches the data shown on the website.

Don't chase the problem until you know where it exists.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 12:44:19 PM »

Well if the Meteobridge is the issue, what do you suggest?

Not sure you can, I've seen the corrupt data to WU before from metrobridge but never knew if there was a fix other than making sure the latest firmware was available.  You should make sure this is the problem first by making sure spikes aren't the Davis console issue. Most likely its not but needs eliminated first for trouble shooting. 
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 12:53:31 PM »
Not sure you can, I've seen the corrupt data to WU before from metrobridge but never knew if there was a fix other than making sure the latest firmware was available.  You should make sure this is the problem first by making sure spikes aren't the Davis console issue. Most likely its not but needs eliminated first for trouble shooting.

Looking at the website data, there are no spikes on anything except the barometer graph.  And today's data is entirely "spike".  Is that typical of a Meteobridge?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 01:03:19 PM »

Looking at the website data, there are no spikes on anything except the barometer graph.  And today's data is entirely "spike".  Is that typical of a Meteobridge?

Don't think so I was thinking WU spikes also so might have a issue with actual transmitter.
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2017, 01:08:07 PM »

Don't think so I was thinking WU spikes also so might have a issue with actual transmitter.

So, since it's barometric data, the sensor is in the console. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 01:12:30 PM »
Yes or envoy.
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
Yes or envoy.

Yep.  I guess I was assuming, from context, that this was a Vue console.  Thanks for correcting me.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 04:26:01 PM »
Is this Vue (itself) logging or not? if so then first thing is compare this recorded data with the MB history.

Is this a MB or MBPro, if Pro then also compare the graph history to see if the same spikes exist as is showing up on the web page.   

PS. BTW this discussion if it is a Vue or Envoy is irrelevant. Don't understand why the question was even asked?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 04:27:32 PM by Mattk »

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »
The first thing I suggest, is answer the question.  Is this shown on the console?  Or not?

It should be really easy to tell if the console display matches the data shown on the website.

Don't chase the problem until you know where it exists.

As I stated in my original question, I can't until I go over there Monday to look at the thing. I'm gathering ideas in the meantime - like a Flowchart if-then-else for when I do.

Nevermind. I will figure it out some way.
My setup:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 05:26:18 PM »
As I stated in my original question, I can't until I go over there Monday to look at the thing. I'm gathering ideas in the meantime - like a Flowchart if-then-else for when I do.

Sorry I offended you.  I mistakenly assumed that perhaps you could simply ask your friend what barometer reading is currently on her console, and compare it with the posted weather data at http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wx.cgi?call=EW9689
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:28:46 PM by dalecoy »

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 09:50:10 PM »
Hmmmm.  No data posted to WU in the last 24+ hours.

Tuesday:
Last report from EW9689 received 2 days 12 hours 28 minutes 58 seconds ago
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 08:03:32 PM by dalecoy »

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2017, 09:16:17 AM »
His console was not setup properly. He did not have the elevation nor the barometer parameters configured.
FW1567 is his new ID, I see no spikes since correcting the issue, so we'll consider it solved.
My setup:

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
His console was not setup properly. He did not have the elevation nor the barometer parameters configured.
FW1567 is his new ID, I see no spikes since correcting the issue, so we'll consider it solved.

So, to assist in diagnosis for other folks with the same problem -- was the console showing the same abnormal spikes? 

Offline azchrisf

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 10:26:04 AM »
No it was not suprisingly nor was it in WeatherLink.
My setup:

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
Along the same lines, maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

I've searched the forum and cannot find an answer.
I installed a station for the Township. Vantage Pro2 Plus. Wireless anemometer. Envoy with USB data logger.
Everything is working great EXCEPT .... the barometer. The pressure reading will be fine for one or two days and then Bam, jumps up by about 60 millibars and stays there. Davis has already replaced the Envoy. No luck.
I've been using this same setup at home for years. An old vantage pro, a new vantage pro2, all with no problems. The only difference is I'm using a serial data logger in the console, no Envoy.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

. The pressure drop is when we installed the new Envoy. The sudden rise is well......????????

Township Website is
http://nltwp.wi3x.com/kpapalmy_23/index.htm
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors
Remote Wireless Anemometer
http://weather.wi3x.com/gauges-ss.htm

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:50 AM »
Along the same lines, maybe someone here could point me in the right direction.

I've searched the forum and cannot find an answer.
I installed a station for the Township. Vantage Pro2 Plus. Wireless anemometer. Envoy with USB data logger.
Everything is working great EXCEPT .... the barometer. The pressure reading will be fine for one or two days and then Bam, jumps up by about 60 millibars and stays there. Davis has already replaced the Envoy. No luck.
I've been using this same setup at home for years. An old vantage pro, a new vantage pro2, all with no problems. The only difference is I'm using a serial data logger in the console, no Envoy.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

. The pressure drop is when we installed the new Envoy. The sudden rise is well......????????

Township Website is
http://nltwp.wi3x.com/kpapalmy_23/index.htm

Did the 1st Envoy exhibit the same behavior? Or, was it for some other problem?
It seems unlikely that you would get two in a row that exhibit the same problem.
I had a bad barometric sensor in a VUE a couple of years ago, but I use that console for remote data directly from another ISS and I don't the the extra baro anyways. That VUE did something similar with random shifts like you are seeing. I had some "heavy work" done on a chimney that is adjacent to the room and I suspect that the vibrations might have damaged it.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2018, 09:36:09 AM »
It seems unlikely that you would get two in a row that exhibit the same problem.
I had a bad barometric sensor in a VUE a couple of years ago, but I use that console for remote data directly from another ISS and I don't the the extra baro anyways. That VUE did something similar with random shifts like you are seeing. I had some "heavy work" done on a chimney that is adjacent to the room and I suspect that the vibrations might have damaged it.

Greg H.

Yes Greg, identical issue. Barometer only. Someone mentioned that it could be RF induced problems but I'm not sure why it would be the barometer only.
We are going to take the following steps unless someone has some better advice.

1) Move the Envoy to a new location.
2) Run the Envoy on batteries only.
3) Bring the console to the location where the Envoy is located and install the data logger in the console to see if it exhibits similar issues.

I was running that Envoy at home and don't recall any issues. It seemed to appear when it was moved to the township building.

Davis seems to be at a loss at this time.

Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2018, 10:08:30 AM »

Greg H.

Yes Greg, identical issue. Barometer only. Someone mentioned that it could be RF induced problems but I'm not sure why it would be the barometer only.
We are going to take the following steps unless someone has some better advice.

1) Move the Envoy to a new location.
2) Run the Envoy on batteries only.
3) Bring the console to the location where the Envoy is located and install the data logger in the console to see if it exhibits similar issues.

I was running that Envoy at home and don't recall any issues. It seemed to appear when it was moved to the township building.

Davis seems to be at a loss at this time.

The hours in the chart look like "business hours" in a way. Could there be some air handlers in the Township building that are causing a large negative pressure?

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2018, 10:19:54 AM »
Good Thought ,
I'll have them place the console in the same room and if the Envoy jumps, I'll have them compare readings.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors

Offline Dane_B

• WI3X Home Page
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2018, 11:45:02 AM »
Update:
So now I'm more confused than ever. After receiving a replacement Envoy from Davis, The new one exhibited the same behavior as the old one. We tried moving the Envoy, running on batteries alone, etc. etc. We have installed the weatherlink module into the console. So far we have been running for all but 2 weeks without issues. The Envoy is supposed to be the same main board as the console but without the display. Davis is at a loss with this when outside of their "read the troubleshooting flowchart" over the phone. I love Davis equipment and this is the first real problem I've ever had. I wonder if I could talk them into replacing the Envoy with a console?
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
UV and Solar sensors