Author Topic: QC jail again  (Read 2467 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
QC jail again
« on: May 28, 2017, 08:08:49 PM »
Been here, done that. As I continue to observe the relatively new SHT31 at work, I have come to realize that in extreme dryness (less than 4% ASOS wise) the 31 tends to go a little overboard with drying things out as I've had many 1% obs today. Granted, still basically within parameters, it gets a little flaky and bottoms out causing me to be flagged by Mesowest (dewpoint). I get that all humidity sensors have difficulty with the very high and very low, so not going to mail in the 31, just yet. Frankly, I'd rather it show the capability of going low, whereas other sensors would never even come close to displaying this. I may put in my other 31 in eventually to see how it does in the bone dry as well.
It would be very interesting to see how the 35 would handle this........ :-"

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
Re: QC jail again
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 08:16:18 PM »
Been here, done that. As I continue to observe the relatively new SHT31 at work, I have come to realize that in extreme dryness (less than 4% ASOS wise) the 31 tends to go a little overboard with drying things out as I've had many 1% obs today. Granted, still basically within parameters, it gets a little flaky and bottoms out causing me to be flagged by Mesowest (dewpoint). I get that all humidity sensors have difficulty with the very high and very low, so not going to mail in the 31, just yet. Frankly, I'd rather it show the capability of going low, whereas other sensors would never even come close to displaying this. I may put in my other 31 in eventually to see how it does in the bone dry as well.
It would be very interesting to see how the 35 would handle this........ :-"

Recently, Mesowest has periodically been flagging my SHT31 dewpoint readings as wrong too. For the last year or so, this hasn't happened. Maybe this is a Mesowest issue as my dewpoint readings on CWOP are fine.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2017, 08:32:54 PM »
Dew points yo-yo much more than temp or humidity, it is after all extrapolated. Even with the greater dew error allowed compared to the temp, it will still flag as the neighbors dews never get there, be that good or bad.  :-|

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 05:45:01 PM »
Nice double standard, I've been at 1% humidity a lot of the last two days and am in jail again, while the two ASOS's next to me are at 1% also (negative mid teens dew point) but they're as good as gold. Obviously teacher's pets.  :x

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 06:08:47 PM »
Nice double standard, I've been at 1% humidity a lot of the last two days and am in jail again, while the two ASOS's next to me are at 1% also (negative mid teens dew point) but they're as good as gold. Obviously teacher's pets:x
Nawh, nawh...the teacher always did like you better.

Error-checking time at MADIS, anybody?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 06:10:51 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
Nice double standard, I've been at 1% humidity a lot of the last two days and am in jail again, while the two ASOS's next to me are at 1% also (negative mid teens dew point) but they're as good as gold. Obviously teacher's pets.  :x

Jim you are in QC jail because your Penguins won and the Blackhawks didn't! As a reminder, Sports Illustrated ran an article about the Hawks being a dynasty as SI documented on its cover when publishing that article, two years ago--see the attached photo of that cover. The salary cap basically eliminates that possibility, so don't get too happy with the Champagne! In any event, the Pens deserved to repeat even though Crosby should have been penalized or fined and suspended for what he did in Game 5 but the league doesn't enforce the rules against the stars in the league like him, Toews, etc. vs the "non-star players" but that is probably true in most sports, rightfully or not, just reality.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:01:18 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 07:09:29 PM »
You, Ron, go to OT jail.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »
Just to give an idea on how dry it currently is here, the max diurnal spread between my temp and dew point today was 121F.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:14:18 PM by CW2274 »

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2017, 11:23:12 AM »
Just to give an idea on how dry it currently is here, the max diurnal spread between my temp and dew point today was 121F.
What are you expecting for highs in this upcoming heat wave? I can't imagine experiencing 110F with <1% RH.

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
Also, when did you last perform maintenance on the ISS/sensor? I cleaned the dust off of everything the other day and saw much quicker response again like when I installed the sensor over a year ago. You must have plenty of dust issues out there...especially with the stronger fan.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2017, 01:18:13 PM »
It's not just him, I, too, have almost identical readings and I'm N of him by ≈15 miles and lower elevation.

NWS is forecasting 114-115ºF±1-2ºf for coming Mon-Tue...all-time record here is 117ºF on 26 Jun 1990.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
Seems June was hottest time of year up at Page/Lake Powell also. Couple all time highs for 4,300' high desert (109°) occurred during this period also. Very very dry though... Then you could set your calendar for July 4th moisture moving in as monsoon got started and usually temperatures backing down some after first week of July with afternoon clouds and dewpoints getting into 50's.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 03:20:24 PM »
Also, when did you last perform maintenance on the ISS/sensor? I cleaned the dust off of everything the other day and saw much quicker response again like when I installed the sensor over a year ago. You must have plenty of dust issues out there...especially with the stronger fan.
SHT31 and entire radiation shield cleaned two months ago, and I hosed down the outside of the shield two weeks ago. You're exactly right about the dust issues with the big fan, the inside of the chamber gets VERY dirty compared to stock, but to be expected. That's the ONLY downfall of the big fan, more maintenance, but well worth it.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
It's not just him, I, too, have almost identical readings and I'm N of him by ≈15 miles and lower elevation.

NWS is forecasting 114-115ºF±1-2ºf for coming Mon-Tue...all-time record here is 117ºF on 26 Jun 1990.
I think yesterday was the first time I saw TUS and DMA both hit 1%, let alone just one, and not just for a couple of minutes either, they lived there just as I and surely others did.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2017, 03:28:45 PM »
Seems June was hottest time of year up at Page/Lake Powell also. Couple all time highs for 4,300' high desert (109°) occurred during this period also. Very very dry though... Then you could set your calendar for July 4th moisture moving in as monsoon got started and usually temperatures backing down some after first week of July with afternoon clouds and dewpoints getting into 50's.
For sure. We deal with this heat every year at this time as the subtropical high moves from on top to the four corners setting up our monsoon flow. \:D/

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2017, 03:43:59 PM »
SHT31 and entire radiation shield cleaned two months ago, and I hosed down the outside of the shield two weeks ago. You're exactly right about the dust issues with the big fan, the inside of the chamber gets VERY dirty compared to stock, but to be expected. That's the ONLY downfall of the big fan, more maintenance, but well worth it.

Does the "big fan" reduce the hot air coming from the station owner too? Sorry, I just could not resist! Each of the 7 NFL officials on the field threw their flag for unsportsmanlike comment coming from a fellow WX geek! 15 yards and ejection from the game.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »
Does the "big fan" reduce the hot air coming from the station owner too? Sorry, I just could not resist! Each of the 7 NFL officials on the field threw their flag for unsportsmanlike comment coming from a fellow WX geek! 15 yards and ejection from the game.
After further review, the flags were picked up because he just tells it like it is. ;)

anything