Author Topic: 5 in 1 Pro + help needed  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Garagedude

5 in 1 Pro + help needed
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:41:18 AM »
I've had My 5 in 1 for a week now. Its doing ok except that the outside temp is spiking 4 deg or more than what it should be. It has the dual solar panels with the fan and the fan is running. I've adjusted it about 3 deg on the console and about the same on WU. My question is what should I do to correct this...
1. Return unit
2. add a section of 4 lead wire which connects the temp sensor to the board and move the temp sensor to a solar shield with a bigger fan.
3. keep adjusting temp which would probably make night readings and cloudy days readings to low.
I have already built a solar shield with a fan that has a La Crosse temp sensor in it and its only about 2 deg off on the hottest days.
Any help or ideas would be great.  I don't want to return it but If theres no hope I will.
Thanks in advance

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: 5 in 1 Pro + help needed
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 10:50:51 AM »
Known problem.  Best bet is to get a temp sensor and extra shield from Acurite and mount it in a better place.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:06:37 AM »
Would that additional sensor data be able to be put on WU? I think the "local monitor/screen" will work with up to 3. I would want the extra to be on WU as well?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 11:30:53 AM »
Can you give us a pic of where the 5n1 is located?

It's kind of strange, because mine used to run high also, but now it runs only 1 or 2 F high if that much... I enlarged the holes in the screen where the air gets drawn up just a bit in the area where the air meets the sensor. That helped.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
DoctorKnow,
 At the present time the 5 in 1 is on a 10ft pole leaning against my porch overhang. I was hoping to get it dialed in before adding the other 5 ft so that it would be about 15 ft in the air which would place it about 6 feet over the top of my porch which has roll roofing. I guess I'll go ahead and raise it and maybe also try another spot not so close to the porch overhang. I should have tried this first but I didn't think that it might matter that much. Right now its 6 deg over the other close stations.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
I had my sensor directly on my roof, in the center of the house, and that was no good. The fan drew the heat from the roof and the thermometer was out of sight. This location also caused the anemometer to freeze (dried out lubricant). If you can mount to the north side of the house with the sensor hanging over the ground, that would be the best result for a roof mount. Otherwise I would stay 8 ft above grass and live with low wind speeds if you really want an accurate thermometer reading.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
Well,
 Thanks for the tips. After moving away from the house and strapping the pole to a chain link fence, the 5 in 1 is about 10 ft off the ground. Getting it away from the house did help. I'm still thinking about removing the sensor from the inside of the 5 in 1 and placing it inside my other solar shield. It works really well being homemade.

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 04:29:12 PM »
I have the same problem. Mine reads +2 degrees higher when in direct sunlight and -2 degrees lower for the early morning low, but seems accurate on overcast days when there's a breeze. Calibration is useless because of the above variances. Mine is mounted on a 10ft pole in the only usable location I have, so I can't move it.

I'm interested in what you do, please report back on any of your adjustments.

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline buckizard

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 07:46:06 PM »
Something to be aware of, Acurite recommends doing NO manual adjustments until its 14(i think) day Learning Mode has completed.   Any spikes or irregularities should go away after that.

I had a few weird readings during that time, but all is well now.
Ambient Weather Osprey

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2017, 07:49:09 PM »
I thought the learning was for the forecast info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »
Something to be aware of, Acurite recommends doing NO manual adjustments until its 14(i think) day Learning Mode has completed.   Any spikes or irregularities should go away after that.

I had a few weird readings during that time, but all is well now.

The "learning period" has nothing to do with the temperature sensors.  It's for the baro sensor so it can get a feel what you "Sea-Level" pressure should be like based on your overall average pressure for a period of up to 33 days.  Forecasts start working ab about two weeks.

Offline buckizard

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 01:30:42 PM »
Good to know thanks
Ambient Weather Osprey