Author Topic: A few Weather Stations  (Read 3469 times)

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
A few Weather Stations
« on: April 17, 2017, 10:00:24 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of my WX Station farm. These will not always be installed at this location. One of the VP2's will go to my home in Richmond, Va soon. The WS-2080 is going to be retired. It has served me well for over 8 years. The WS-1400-IP will be relocated to one of my sister's home, I have an identical WS-1400-IP that will go to my other sister's home. The Vantage Vue will be my portable station for ARES operation and it will travel with me when I go exploring in the camper.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Kevin Mahler
Skywarn Storm Spotter, AKQ3785
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline Carbon

• Weather-Watcher
    • Gill MetPak Base Station PWS @ Myers Park
Re: A few Weather Stations
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2017, 11:46:07 PM »
Nice setup, and nice stations! :D

I have a question for you: have you done any extensive analysis between your Davis VP2s w/FARS and without FARS, and those between the WS-1400-IP? I own the more expensive sibling to the 1400-IP, the 1001-WiFi, but they have identical housings, and I was wondering how the temps on that passive shield hold up with the FARS during hot days.

Offline hotsauce2007

• Weather Station
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2017, 04:01:07 AM »

how about the data? is almost the SAME in all weather stations or do you see a lot of spikes in numbers?

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:55 AM »

I have a question for you: have you done any extensive analysis between your Davis VP2s w/FARS and without FARS, and those between the WS-1400-IP? I own the more expensive sibling to the 1400-IP, the 1001-WiFi, but they have identical housings, and I was wondering how the temps on that passive shield hold up with the FARS during hot days.

You and Hotsauce2007 have asked pretty much the same question. I have started to look at the differences. You can see some limited comparisons in this thread http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=31933.0. My plan is to do more. The past week has had me installing them, tweaking them and fiddling. I want to have a pretty solid base prior to forming any conclusions. Stay tuned in the tech section over the coming weeks or months for more comparisons and discussion about what I've found.

Just yesterday, I received the SHT31 sensor that will be install in the VP2 DFARS later today. I will then calibrate the three Davis Stations again (see prior linked thread) and run more graphs. Soon we will be into the thick of hot and humid summer here in SE Virginia (90F/90% typical). That's when I would expect to see the most difference with the DFARS. We shall see.

Stay tuned. You have both asked the same questions that have been bugging me for years.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2017, 03:56:25 PM »

Soon we will be into the thick of hot and humid summer here in SE Virginia (90F/90% typical). That's when I would expect to see the most difference with the DFARS. We shall see.
This is one exaggeration that always drives nuts, but people do it ALL the time. Upper 80's dew point isn't typical, and I'm quite sure it's never even been close to that, and yes, I spent my earlier years exactly where you are. I mean, after all, this is a weather forum. ;)
BTW, FARS is designed to aid with ventilating the sensor chamber under calm or little wind conditions, not necessarily to combat heat. FARS can be just as significant at 40F as it is at 100F.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
]This is one exaggeration that always drives nuts, but people do it ALL the time. Upper 80's dew point isn't typical, and I'm quite sure it's never even been close to that, and yes, I spent my earlier years exactly where you are. I mean, after all, this is a weather forum. ;)
BTW, FARS is designed to aid with ventilating the sensor chamber under calm or little wind conditions, not necessarily to combat heat. FARS can be just as significant at 40F as it is at 100F.

Yet, oddly I picked a nearby station that was reporting here last August. I randomly picked a day in August and the relative humidity was 91%. Which is what I said (90f/90%).

As for the FARS, thanks but I know what it does. I simply stated that I expected to see "the MOST difference". This is a weather forum after all. I know a little about what I'm talking about.

As for you spending your earlier years "exactly" where I am, I doubt that. My Father built this house or was that an exaggeration?

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAYORKT24#history/s20160816/e20160816/mdaily
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 10:03:36 PM »
]This is one exaggeration that always drives nuts, but people do it ALL the time. Upper 80's dew point isn't typical, and I'm quite sure it's never even been close to that, and yes, I spent my earlier years exactly where you are. I mean, after all, this is a weather forum. ;)
Yet, oddly I picked a nearby station that was reporting here last August. I randomly picked a day in August and the relative humidity was 91%. Which is what I said (90f/90%).

As for you spending your earlier years "exactly" where I am, I doubt that. My Father built this house or was that an exaggeration?
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KVAYORKT24#history/s20160816/e20160816/mdaily
If you think for one second that this station CORRECTLY reported 90F temp with 90% humidity, you're sadly mistaken. An 87F dew point in the US is all but impossible, let alone typical.

As far as your comment about "your father's house"? Seriously? :roll:

I spent 5 years in the Navy in Norfolk, with an ASOS (or equivalent) in my back pocket at work every single day, let alone the 25 years in the FAA.
How bout you?

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »

If you think for one second that this station CORRECTLY reported 90F temp with 90% humidity, you're sadly mistaken. An 87F dew point in the US is all but impossible, let alone typical.

I spent 5 years in the Navy in Norfolk, with an ASOS (or equivalent) in my back pocket at work every single day, let alone the 25 years in the FAA.
How bout you?

Do you take an adversarial approach to everyone on this board? A quick search for CW2274 showed that you often do. I was speaking figuratively when I said 90/90. If it bothers you, move on. You don't have to be a jerk. I found references for an 88f dew point in the US as well as a reference for a 86f dew point in Virginia Beach in 1998.

For someone who is driven nuts by exaggerations, you sure use a lot of them. How did you fit that ASOS in your back pocket? And you are the one who said you were "exactly" where I am.

I enjoy learning from the people on here with years of experience. But, I think I'll pass on your experience if this is how you teach.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2017, 11:10:25 PM »

How bout you?
I was speaking figuratively when I said 90/90.
Sure you were. Twice.
One thing you are right about, I'll move on.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 01:21:45 AM »
An 87F dew point in the US is all but impossible, let alone typical.

Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 03:08:23 AM »
So? What part of "all but impossible" do you not understand? I never said impossible. You make it sound like a daily occurrence.
That must be why they took a picture of the (presumably record breaking) recording weather station for public consumption, because 88F dew points happen every other day.

Offline kmahler

• Contributor
    • KO4JY WX
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
Upper 80's dew point isn't typical, and I'm quite sure it's never even been close to that, and yes, I spent my earlier years exactly where you are.

I just wanted to make sure you and everyone else knew your smug, condescending self was WRONG.
Kevin Mahler
CWOP AV286
73 de KO4JY

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 03:37:45 PM »
Upper 80's dew point isn't typical, and I'm quite sure it's never even been close to that, and yes, I spent my earlier years exactly where you are.

I just wanted to make sure you and everyone else knew your smug, condescending self was WRONG.
k