Author Topic: VWS and MySQL at the same time  (Read 2316 times)

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
VWS and MySQL at the same time
« on: April 20, 2016, 03:43:29 PM »
Hello All

Up to now, VWS has been my main weather software but I am thinking putting all the data in a MySQL so I can use the HighCharts. I still need VWS for generating the .txt-files.

I have researched a little and have concluded that a Meteobridge in combination with WVS and my Vantage Pro2 (with usb-logger) should do the trick: VP2 -> USB-Logger -> Meteobridge  -> Lan cable -> Computer with VWS connecting to the Meteobridge.

Am I right?  :-)

Kind Regards

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
    • Cape Small Harbor Weather
Re: VWS and MySQL at the same time
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »
Hello All

Up to now, VWS has been my main weather software but I am thinking putting all the data in a MySQL so I can use the HighCharts. I still need VWS for generating the .txt-files.

I have researched a little and have concluded that a Meteobridge in combination with WVS and my Vantage Pro2 (with usb-logger) should do the trick: VP2 -> USB-Logger -> Meteobridge  -> Lan cable -> Computer with VWS connecting to the Meteobridge.

Am I right?  :-)

Kind Regards

I have my MB uploading directly to a MySQL DB on my shared hosting site; no need to pass through a computer.

Now I'd like to know how to display that data on a website. Any pointers to software which does this?

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:25:30 AM »
Just one thing you need to be careful about.
When I first decided to use MySQL I wanted to do the same thing, however, some webhosting providers (including mine) will only let you to use the MySQL from the same server. In other words, you can only manipulate it via scripts that are running from that very same server. It is a security measure. This means that MB was rejected access. So you must first make sure you can actually do this, and if not then you would need to create a PHP script that saves the data into the MySQL, save that script on the same server and have that script executed using the HTTP request via MB.

Offline lobsterman

• Senior Contributor
    • Cape Small Harbor Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 12:08:04 PM »
Just one thing you need to be careful about.
When I first decided to use MySQL I wanted to do the same thing, however, some webhosting providers (including mine) will only let you to use the MySQL from the same server. In other words, you can only manipulate it via scripts that are running from that very same server. It is a security measure. This means that MB was rejected access. So you must first make sure you can actually do this, and if not then you would need to create a PHP script that saves the data into the MySQL, save that script on the same server and have that script executed using the HTTP request via MB.
Thanks Jachym. So far my MB unit has been uploading directly to a MySQL DB since Sept 29, every ten minutes. I imagine the hoster might complain if I increased the frequency but this has been a test drive to date.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »
Hi,
in that case its not an issue, if it was blocked it would not work at all :)

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 04:36:22 PM »
A lot of activity in this topic with no answer (related) to my question but I have found the answer myself and it is Yes.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 04:47:52 PM by droiddk »

anything