Author Topic: Getting " caution " in meso west for pressure to low.  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
Getting " caution " in meso west for pressure to low.
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:10:03 AM »
Hello.. was just wondering why is my pressure displaying so low in meso west  28.75 when on my console it shows 29.95 which is about right. Cause of this I've got flagged in meso quality control. Any suggestions? Bit disappointed in this. Station is accurite 5-1 pro

http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=E8834&time=GMT

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: Getting " caution " in meso west for pressure to low.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 11:19:01 AM »
Did you enter in how many feet off the ground your acurite bridge is on the "weather station" tab of your meteobridge? Down at the bottom of that section, is a place called "Station Altitude". Fill that in and it should correct things.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »
Ok I'll have a look when I get home this afternoon. My pressure right now in on mybackyard weather is showing 29.93 and on Mesowest it's  28.76. My station is 13 feet from ground. Hopefully I can fix cause those " caution " going across in Mesowest  Iam not liking.

How should I put the 13 in (feet or meters) on meteobridge?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:07:56 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 03:05:46 PM »
Ok I'll have a look when I get home this afternoon. My pressure right now in on mybackyard weather is showing 29.93 and on Mesowest it's  28.76. My station is 13 feet from ground. Hopefully I can fix cause those " caution " going across in Mesowest  Iam not liking.

How should I put the 13 in (feet or meters) on meteobridge?

When your say your station is 13 feet from the ground, are you talking about the AcuLink Bridge or the 5n1?  The baro sensor is in the bridge.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 03:53:10 PM »
Mesowest is saying my pressure is to low which it is compared to around me. Thing is my console is showing 29.86 but wunderground, CWOP and Mesowest all show like 28.70. In meteobridge it asks for altitude I put 13 feet meaning I thought it meant from ground to my wx station but I think it means elvation above sea level. I googled it and it's 14 but in the meteobridge I put 13. Iam not home now but will that small difference off be causing that low pressure being reported to other sites. Again in mybackyard weather it actually shows closer to normal 29.86.   It's almost as WU is reporting absolute and not adjusted pressure.

Oh and 13 feet from ground to 5-1.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:12:34 PM by Adrian23 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 09:24:17 PM »
Mesowest is saying my pressure is to low which it is compared to around me. Thing is my console is showing 29.86 but wunderground, CWOP and Mesowest all show like 28.70. In meteobridge it asks for altitude I put 13 feet meaning I thought it meant from ground to my wx station but I think it means elvation above sea level. I googled it and it's 14 but in the meteobridge I put 13. Iam not home now but will that small difference off be causing that low pressure being reported to other sites. Again in mybackyard weather it actually shows closer to normal 29.86.   It's almost as WU is reporting absolute and not adjusted pressure.

Oh and 13 feet from ground to 5-1.

If you're only 14 feet above sea-level, then the absolute and adjusted pressure should be pretty close. 

I don't know meteobridge settings well enough to comment, but you might adjust your MBW barometer setting to "absolute" and then compare to another device that shows "absolute" data and see if they match reasonably well.  It's possible your AcuLink bridge baro sensor has some sort of bias.  Such a bias can easily be masked by the "Acurite" pressure method or the application of an offset.

So, I'd say either something in the meteobridge is set wrong, or the absolute pressure in your AcuLink bridge has some bias that needs to be corrected.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:27:41 AM »
Well I've disconnected my MBW feed but pressure still being reported low to WU, Mesowest and CWOP. Hoping someone will help me fix this issue again it displays normal on my console but in other sites it's show pressure lower so having quality issues in meso w.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:41:00 AM »
Well I've disconnected my MBW feed but pressure still being reported low to WU, Mesowest and CWOP. Hoping someone will help me fix this issue again it displays normal on my console but in other sites it's show pressure lower so having quality issues in meso w.

That's because it seems your baro sensor is reporting a lower absolute pressure than it seems it should.

The reason it looks OK on the console display is because it's using the Acurite method of pressure adjustment which averages out any bias.

Somehow you need to tweak the absolute pressure in the meteobridge to bring it up to the expected reading of the Airport.  Assuming the bias is consistent, that should solve everything.

I have an Acurite bridge that has this same problem.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:49:00 AM »
Can you help me tweak absolute pressure in meteobridge? Also how did u fix your acurite bridge?

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 09:49:18 AM »
Use the "Pressure correction" area to enter in how many millibars off you are from what your reading should be. It is next to the "Altitude". If you tell us what the pressure should be vs, what you are actually sending, someone can help you get it right.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »
Ok standby. Nincehelser has been looking at my data last night Iam sure he has really good idea what it's suppose to be.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 09:53:18 AM by Adrian23 »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
Can you help me tweak absolute pressure in meteobridge? Also how did u fix your acurite bridge?

I don't use meteobridge myself, so I'm not familiar with the settings.

In my case, the bias is consistent, so I just added an offset in my own code and it's been fine ever since.  I consider it a quirk of this particular baro sensor that happens to be easy to resolve.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 10:04:39 AM »
Ok my last pressure sent to Mesowest at 9:56am was 28.73 inches and Miami international Airport which is like 5 min from my house is 30.03 inches as of 9:53am this morning. On my MBW right now its 29.92

So what exactly should I correct to?

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 10:13:57 AM by Adrian23 »

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
Nincehelser-Doctorknow you guys still around?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:19:10 AM »
It appears you need to add 1.3 inhg.  That's about 44 mb.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2016, 11:30:48 AM »

Before I add to meteobridge what about correcting in MBW? There is a section there to correct pressure.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:17 AM »

Before I add to meteobridge what about correcting in MBW? There is a section there to correct pressure.

You can if you want, but MBW isn't involved in the reporting to the other sites.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
Ok added 1.3 now how long you think it might take to see changes?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
Ok added 1.3 now how long you think it might take to see changes?

It should take effect immediately with the next report.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2016, 11:46:30 AM »
Last question now that ive corrected both should I turn on my MBW feed again?

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2016, 11:50:24 AM »
Last question now that ive corrected both should I turn on my MBW feed again?

No.  Just let MBW run on its own.  If you start feeding it to wunderground again it might cause confusion later.  There's no real point in having wunderground fed from two sources.

Offline Adrian23

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2016, 11:52:22 AM »
ok! Thx again man your awesome seriously!  =D> really appreciate your help.