Author Topic: Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3  (Read 27254 times)

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
Re: Davis Facebook page requesting input on Vantage Pro 3
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2017, 08:32:30 AM »
It looks like they have been busy bees working on this EM system. Maybe this is intended to be the "VP3"?
From a quick look, it appears that "nodes" replace the transmitters that we are all used to and they form a mesh network.
The existing sensors can connect to each node, and a cabled ISS can connect to the Gateway.
This looks like it is more than I need, especially with the annual fee for connectivity. It looks like they have ditched consoles/Envoys altogether with this system.
I wonder if there is some kind of VP2 transmitter -to- EM bridge device in the works.
Interesting....

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
From a quick look, it appears that "nodes" replace the transmitters that we are all used to and they form a mesh network.
The existing sensors can connect to each node, and a cabled ISS can connect to the Gateway.

Yes, that's broadly the picture. The nearest comparison is with a VP2 Connect system where an EM gateway = Connect. Then a node is kind of comparable to a general purpose 6345 box but much more flexible in that quite a variety of sensors (but not ISS units, at least as yet) can cable to the node, up to 4 sensors per node.

(We've been running a beta EM system for the past ~8 months, so fairly familiar with how it works, smartphone apps etc.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #77 on: May 28, 2017, 09:14:18 AM »
A VP3? A dream come true if/when it hits the market. No doubt it'll cost a fortune here in Australia like their products currently do, sometimes by 1.5x the amount.

- Yes I agree with the touch screen to make it more up-to-date, if they could keep the console to a similar layout but make it a tad bigger in screen size.

- Definitely one console to read more than one ISS like the Envoy 8X can but get Weatherlink to have them as 'other stations' so they can be saved to different headings in the easy to read format and make sure it is compatible with current stations which I believe they would do that anyway.

- Make the console a two-three way reader so multiple software can read off of the one console, might be a data logger improvement instead?

- Update the console for more air movement around the thermo/hydro sensor or have it as a cable that connects to it.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #78 on: May 28, 2017, 01:44:08 PM »
A VP3? A dream come true if/when it hits the market. No doubt it'll cost a fortune here in Australia like their products currently do, sometimes by 1.5x the amount.

I think its because of shipping and import fees thanks to your government. Davis sells at same price to everyone.
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
I think its because of shipping and import fees thanks to your government. Davis sells at same price to everyone.

Well, intercontinental shipping which typically ends up by airfreight is certainly a very significant cost for something like a VP2 box (or a carton of four units, which is how they come trade). Import duty is a factor but usually just a few %. Maybe you're thinking more of sales tax, which in many countries is very significant eg 20% and must, by law, be included in prices quoted to retail customers.

Then there's the international business model that Davis use, which is - with the odd exception - to have only one distributor per territory. Resellers typically buy their stock from their local distributor and hence two lots of margin have to be added in.

Another main factor is support. Providing support is expensive. In the US, Davis provides direct support and so AIUI there's no necessity for US dealers to factor in support costs. Outside the US, the dealer or distributor provides the support and this can add another 10-20% to pricing.

There are other factors too like currency fluctuations, extra cost of doing business in many countries because of things like mandatory payroll taxes, pension provision etc for staff.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2017, 04:25:10 PM »
Interesting, I do know duties vary by country and even items. One of the countries my son was dealing with in South America had some crazy amount like 200% on electronics from the USA.

My son did a favor for a friend online, he wanted this $200+ dollar video card so after receiving money he purchased  video card and made it look ratty and used and put a note this still doesn't work could you replace  :-)..because most items especially electronics get stolen before delivery.
Anyway the guy in South America actually received the card. 
Randy

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2017, 04:54:19 PM »
Interesting, I do know duties vary by country and even items.

Yes - didn't mean to imply that there aren't some crazy exceptions re import duty, was thinking more of eg G20 and other EU countries and similar, ie where the bulk of Davis sales would be.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
We have a GST or Goods Service Tax which adds 10% on the RRP value, annoying really as Davis AU has the Pro 2 standard for $999 with GST.

Offline ct

• Contributor
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2017, 10:50:30 PM »
We have a GST or Goods Service Tax which adds 10% on the RRP value, annoying really as Davis AU has the Pro 2 standard for $999 with GST.

I order mostly from Scaled Instruments and even after the high cost of postage from US to AU, it works out about 25% cheaper than buying from an Australian reseller.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2017, 10:59:58 PM »

I order mostly from Scaled Instruments and even after the high cost of postage from US to AU, it works out about 25% cheaper than buying from an Australian reseller.

How do you get around the difference in the radio spectrum?

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2017, 12:29:25 AM »

Usually some will just 'risk' it but I think if you send it to Davis AU then they'd change it to the Australian bandwith burn I think would cost, I use scaled instruments for parts such as the gauge and anemometer, nothing transmitter wise as it won't work with my pro 2

Offline ct

• Contributor
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2017, 12:33:15 AM »

I have never bought a Davis ISS board (built my own) but have bought 5 VP2 consoles which were set for US frequencies.  I  converted them to AU frequency by sending certain codes through the USB datalogger.

Offline droiddk

• Forecaster
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2017, 07:04:12 AM »
I  converted them to AU frequency by sending certain codes through the USB datalogger.

Do you have more information about this? Commands? Software?

Regards

Offline ct

• Contributor
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2017, 09:14:52 AM »
Connected the USB cable to a computer and ran a terminal program at 19200bps, then issued the commands

TST 1
BAND 2
TST 0

Power cycled the console and it shows (AU) it the startup message indicating it is using the AU frequencies.

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
If that can be done with the consoles, I wonder if there's a way to do it to the iss otherwise would buy one here in Aus and get a console overseas if wanted an additional one and run a terminal software and vert it to talk to the AU frequency.

Another VP3 idea is to display things like the Dew point, Wind chill etc with decimal places instead as a whole number

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2017, 10:18:20 AM »
Another VP3 idea is to display things like the Dew point, Wind chill etc with decimal places instead as a whole number

Why? Wouldn't that be unscientific (false precision and all that)?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline StormCapture

« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2017, 10:34:19 AM »

Why? Wouldn't that be unscientific (false precision and all that)?

Not sure how it would be unscientific and give false precision, our Bureau of Meteorology records that with decimals and I've done it via Cumulus for years, makes graphing clearer instead of it being a whole number, especially for record purposes. As I like keeping my data clean, example console showed a THSW of 57°C earlier this year but through the software it was 56.6°C, and yes it was a stinker that day with 28%RH At 42.0°C.  But that's just my opinion anyway.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2017, 10:48:17 AM »
Not sure how it would be unscientific and give false precision,

To be very pedantic about it:

As long as your equipment can resolve the readings with that resolution, there's nothing unscientific about reporting or recording the measurement that way.  But note that it's resolution, not precision.  Nor is it accuracy.

The three terms, with different meanings, are: accuracy, precision, resolution. 

https://phidgets.wordpress.com/2014/05/20/accuracy-precision-and-resolution-theyre-not-the-same/

We could even add discussion of "sensitivity", but let's not.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 01:20:59 PM by dalecoy »

Offline CWatsonJr

• Vantage Pro2 Station Readings
« Reply #93 on: June 24, 2017, 02:22:53 PM »
Wonder if this is something already in development or they are just starting.
I was going to purchase a new station in the spring, and now I may have to wait as long as my 9 year old VP2 holds out.

My first VP2 last 17 years and may still be going strong for all I know. When we sold our house, I left that for the new owners and I bought a new one for our new house  :lol:

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #94 on: June 24, 2017, 02:43:58 PM »
This single picture explains it all:

• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #95 on: June 24, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »
This single picture explains it all:

Actually, nicely explains accuracy and precision.  Resolution is the third part.

anything