Author Topic: NWS WPC Experimental Winter Storm Severity Indices  (Read 444 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
NWS WPC Experimental Winter Storm Severity Indices
« on: February 18, 2019, 08:03:20 AM »
Thanks to Tom Abell who alerted me to these experimental NWS WPC graphics, I was finally able to assemble a script for the Saratoga template in order to selectively display them.  They are published by select WFO's, and I think the list is comprehensive with all of the non-contributors weeded out.

There are several winter weather variables whose maps contribute to the final Winter Storm Severity Index.  These are selectable per WFO via a second drop-down.

The script is available on my scripts page.  Be aware that there's a link to the StandAlone version in the script, so it should be uploaded as well.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline mikeym2m

• Senior Contributor
    • MikeyM's Thornhurst PA Weather
Re: NWS WPC Experimental Winter Storm Severity Indices
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 09:31:47 AM »
Jerry

Thanks

Cheers

:grin:

MikeyM

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: NWS WPC Experimental Winter Storm Severity Indices
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 03:08:50 PM »
Thanks,  [tup] Jerry for the effort.
I wish they would just get the forecast correct on occasions. Putting severity impact on it seems like a waste of time when it doesn't happen.
I think they are something like 0-5 in getting it right out here. Not bashing them (forecasters) because computer model guidance has been extremely bad for this area almost all winter.  Big snow bust forecast has to be at an all-time high. Then when it does get nasty usually no statements or headlines at all.
I'm blaming it on bad data feedback from the globally warmed ASOS station thermometers running 2 degrees high in my neck of the region.  :sad:

And you got a  [tup]
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:19:24 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy