Author Topic: Weather data access by NWS and others  (Read 1274 times)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
Weather data access by NWS and others
« on: June 15, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
Members, learned and helpful....

The background:  I got my PWS, a Davis VP2 6153, up and going a few weeks ago. I love it. I did not think I would want to or be able to put my data out there so the NWS could access it, so I did not purchase any of the software or such needed to do that.

I was wrong about the wanting to. The good folks at the NWS about 90 miles away are interested in my data and I would love to share it with them. At the same time I want to be able to share the data with family in other parts of the U.S. and with myself when I am not home.

I am not a skilled tech person. Call my knowledge of terminology novice. I have done some prelim legwork on the subject.

Here's my situation:  ISP is Verizon wireless. We have a "jetpack"  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  (one of these things), and signal strength is marginal. 4G LTE on good days; sometimes signal drops us, but mostly it just slows  way down. So, on my desktop I have the wireless console and my cpu and monitor, and the jetpack (which I assume is not a router?).

This is what I would like:

1. Allow NWS access to my data
2. Allow myself access to my data when I am away
3. I am not sure I want my internet/computer on 24/7

My questions, however naïve they might be:

1. Do I need to have a computer on 24/7 to do the above?
2. What are my choices (hardware, software) to accomplish the above? (keep in mind my tech level, please)
3. Please feel free to add any and all information related to the topic.

It is 90 degrees at 11:30 with a steady 20 mph SSW wind here in Phillips County, KS. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Re: Weather data access by NWS and others
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2018, 01:40:58 PM »
Buy the WiFiLogger (see separate thread), sign up for free accounts at WU, CWOP, and others like WL, PWS Weather, AWEKAS and WOW if you want, and set up WiFiLogger to upload to those sites.  Not sure if NWS obtains data from CWOP though.
Your VP2 console with the purchased WiFiLogger placed inside it - made specially for the Davis consoles, then go through the WiFiLogger settings to connect the console wireless to your router, and that's pretty well it.
Anyone with internet access can then go to those sites to see your ongoing data.
Enjoy,Paul 

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »
Buy the WiFiLogger (see separate thread), sign up for free accounts at WU, CWOP, and others like WL, PWS Weather, AWEKAS and WOW if you want, and set up WiFiLogger to upload to those sites.  Not sure if NWS obtains data from CWOP though.
Your VP2 console with the purchased WiFiLogger placed inside it - made specially for the Davis consoles, then go through the WiFiLogger settings to connect the console wireless to your router, and that's pretty well it.
Anyone with internet access can then go to those sites to see your ongoing data.
Enjoy,Paul 

All I have is that Jetpack thing from Verizon. Is that a router like you are referring to or do I need something different. I just don't know.

Any other software I would need?

Thanks for your reply

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2018, 01:47:01 PM »
The Davis WeatherLinkIP logger would be a simpler setup for

I am not a skilled tech person. Call my knowledge of terminology novice.

[Not criticizing the WiFiLogger - it's just, at the moment, rather new and "upgrade the firmware" and .....]

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2018, 01:56:48 PM »
They need to make sure whatever choice it will work with the wireless Jetpack.
It may be more complicated than just getting data logger.

CWOP will be the only place needed to go with data especially since bandwidth is limited.  NWS has teamed up with CWOP and uses the data for high resolution weather model RAP which does hourly updates.

Your CWOP data will look like this.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=E7498&wfo=twc/

or from Mesowest

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=E7498
« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 05:01:20 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:22 PM »
My error - I just looked at the Jetpack specifications.  It is Wi-Fi Only.  There is no Ethernet connection.

Question for DRoberts - one Jetpack advantage is that you can take it "on the road" with you.  Do you ever plan to take the Jetpack away from your home?

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2018, 02:17:03 PM »
Looking at the jetpack, looks like it acts as hotspot only up to 15 devises.
Davis data logger will need a special wifi WAN router connected to wireless Jetpack. Someone familiar with the WiFiLogger jump in. Does it require router also?

From Verizon:
The Verizon JetPack 5510 does not have an ethernet port, so if you want a more powerful router (greater range, more security and features), you can add a router. The WiFi routers listed below will connect to your 5510 via WiFi as WAN, and the Peplink Balance routers listed below support the 5510 via tethering.
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »
He need's  to make sure whatever he choses it will work with the wireless Jetpack.
It may be more complicated than just getting data logger.

CWOP will be the only place needed to go with data especially since bandwidth is limited.  NWS has teamed up with CWOP and uses the data for high resolution weather model RAP which does hourly updates.

Your CWOP data will look like this.

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=E7498&wfo=twc/

or from Mesowest

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=E7498

My error - I just looked at the Jetpack specifications.  It is Wi-Fi Only.  There is no Ethernet connection.

Question for DRoberts - one Jetpack advantage is that you can take it "on the road" with you.  Do you ever plan to take the Jetpack away from your home?

No. I use up my "unlimited" (what a joke!) fast enough at home.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2018, 03:13:21 PM »
Looking at the jetpack, looks like it acts as hotspot only up to 15 devises.
Davis data logger will need a special wifi WAN router connected to wireless Jetpack. Someone familiar with the WiFiLogger jump in. Does it require router also?

From Verizon:
The Verizon JetPack 5510 does not have an ethernet port, so if you want a more powerful router (greater range, more security and features), you can add a router. The WiFi routers listed below will connect to your 5510 via WiFi as WAN, and the Peplink Balance routers listed below support the 5510 via tethering.

Getting a bit lost, but that means the JepPack I have is strictly wireless (which I strongly suspected) and that this new WiFiLogger may be my only hope unless I get a router from Verizon (more $$). But going with a router might be best for my tech level/knowledge? (This based on previous poster)

Dang, Valentine. This weather is nasty for mid June.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2018, 03:33:30 PM »
No. I use up my "unlimited" (what a joke!) fast enough at home.

Well, your weather data uploads will "help" use that up.  Do you have any other ways that are available to access the internet?  That is - are you "out in the country" or .....?

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
Very rural. If I were to put up a 100 ft antenna I might get a better signal. Like that is going to happen.

(I am beginning to think my chances of sharing my data are not good)

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »
DRoberts - I think you should think about the ftp option to send csv files up to a web host running your weather website given the jetpac and its less than robust performance. That would give your weather data a presence and home with personality you and your family and friends around the world can visit as apposed to sending your data to corporate partners such as WU, WFY, PWS, etc. and government agencies only. 

First you should set the jetpack in tethered mode using the usb cable, this gives you faster access to the cell side of the device for the computer connected. Windows will accept this as a network connection and all the normal features of a network connection will be activated. The wifi on the jetpack will continue to work for your phone and other devices. This connection also trickle charges the device battery so every month take a day and disconnect and drain the battery so it fully charges. To make this connection the first time you connect the device via the usb, open a browser on that computer and point to the ip address on the device, using the also provided login id and password then select tethered mode from the web menu. Some models also allow you to make this change from the jetpack device menu.

Hardware
On your Davis console buy a "data logger" of your choice as stated above. I'm not sure of the wifi unit being beta tested by a few folks, and marketed and developed by a member here works in USA. If you go wifi make sure you can make a data connection to it using cable or using wifi.  Davis makes one that is usb based, and is easy to use. Ethernet aka IP loggers will not work for you if you have a jetpack. The majority of weather station software packages out there for davis stations will allow you to upload direct to many corporate weather sites and the government in both USA and Canada.

Software
You will need two packages, one being a web host to host the website you create. And the other local at your Davis location. Weather Display, Cumulus, and VWS are popular. All three can download data from your Davis console to your website using FTP built in. If you go with a software that does not include internal FTP clients, you can download secure clients such as filezilla. 

For the website, look for a host that can run php and javascript based scripts and can accept your ftd uploads of observations.

Look and feel? I just switched my site from VWS based templates to use Ken's Saratoga-Weather templates. But other weather station software can deliver website templates for your display. It's a personal choice. 

Whatever software you use at the station location the computer needs to be left on 24/7 or you can drop off live update sites as no report.

Don't let your jetpack defeat your hopes. You can make it work.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2018, 04:50:00 PM »
Very rural. If I were to put up a 100 ft antenna I might get a better signal. Like that is going to happen.

(I am beginning to think my chances of sharing my data are not good)

Next question:  Do you know a local teenager who is a "computer geek" who could help you?  Or do you know someone at the local high school who could put you in touch with such a kid?

I think your chances are good, if you're willing to use a little of your "unlimited" and can get a bit of technical help.  Otherwise, you're going to be frustrated in several ways.

AND if you can get that help, I believe that the WiFiLogger is exactly the thing to do the job for you.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2018, 04:55:23 PM »
I happen to have access to a tech person and by coincidence he has the same last name as I do.  :grin: Not that he is right around here, but we are communicating on this very issue.

Thanks for the encouragement. Your input is always appreciated.

(99 F at 3:35 p.m. SSW 23 gusts to 30, RH30%)

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 04:58:24 PM »
BrianLehan, Thanks for that reply. I will be looking at it with my tech consultant (son)  :-)

Offline BrianLehan

• Grace C Lehan Memorial Weather Station
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 06:26:06 PM »
We use jetpacks a lot at work and never had one in the past five years from Verizon that could not be tethered. Some of the early units under windows XP required a driver to be downloaded from their site to the computer before using it as a tethered device, then they started bundling the driver on the unit and downloads from the web page the device launches. The past couple years or so especially with windows 7/8/10 machines no driver download is needed, windows connects nothing needed.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 plus
VWS 15x on Windows 7
Sarasota-Weather Template
Gr3 Radar

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »
DRoberts - I think you should think about the ftp option to send csv files up to a web host running your weather website given the jetpac and its less than robust performance. That would give your weather data a presence and home with personality you and your family and friends around the world can visit as apposed to sending your data to corporate partners such as WU, WFY, PWS, etc. and government agencies only. 

First you should set the jetpack in tethered mode using the usb cable, this gives you faster access to the cell side of the device for the computer connected. Windows will accept this as a network connection and all the normal features of a network connection will be activated. The wifi on the jetpack will continue to work for your phone and other devices. This connection also trickle charges the device battery so every month take a day and disconnect and drain the battery so it fully charges. To make this connection the first time you connect the device via the usb, open a browser on that computer and point to the ip address on the device, using the also provided login id and password then select tethered mode from the web menu. Some models also allow you to make this change from the jetpack device menu.

Hardware
On your Davis console buy a "data logger" of your choice as stated above. I'm not sure of the wifi unit being beta tested by a few folks, and marketed and developed by a member here works in USA. If you go wifi make sure you can make a data connection to it using cable or using wifi.  Davis makes one that is usb based, and is easy to use. Ethernet aka IP loggers will not work for you if you have a jetpack. The majority of weather station software packages out there for davis stations will allow you to upload direct to many corporate weather sites and the government in both USA and Canada.

Software
You will need two packages, one being a web host to host the website you create. And the other local at your Davis location. Weather Display, Cumulus, and VWS are popular. All three can download data from your Davis console to your website using FTP built in. If you go with a software that does not include internal FTP clients, you can download secure clients such as filezilla. 

For the website, look for a host that can run php and javascript based scripts and can accept your ftd uploads of observations.

Look and feel? I just switched my site from VWS based templates to use Ken's Saratoga-Weather templates. But other weather station software can deliver website templates for your display. It's a personal choice. 

Whatever software you use at the station location the computer needs to be left on 24/7 or you can drop off live update sites as no report.

Don't let your jetpack defeat your hopes. You can make it work.

Lets not complicate things, DR's does not require his own web host and does not need to create his own webpage and doesn't need to know anything about FTP and also does not necessarily need to have a PC running 24/7 as there are quite a few devices that rids one of running a PC 24/7 

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 09:07:27 PM »
Mattk

Your quote:
DR's does not require his own web host and does not need to create his own webpage and doesn't need to know anything about FTP and also does not necessarily need to have a PC running 24/7 as there are quite a few devices that rids one of running a PC 24/7

Thanks. That is what I would like. Something simple that can be accessed
 without a 24//7 computer. Simple is a relative term, I know.

Any ideas? Anyone?

DRoberts

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 09:25:21 PM »
I don't know enough about the WiFiLogger but could be an option? Meteobridge Pro would certainly work but not the cheapest option, a Davis WLIP could also be quite a simple option running a WiFi link with something like a simple Ubiquiti AirGateway as a station to your WiFi router being an Access Point then simply use the WeatherLink software and WeatherLink to configure, upload to and send on to CWOP etc which I believe I saw someone mention has a link to where you want your data to end up. Running WL.com then you have access to your data from anywhere and anybody can also see it.       

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 09:36:59 PM »
Try this:
Buy the WiFiLogger (see separate thread), sign up for free accounts at WU, CWOP, and others.....

Here's the upload of my station to Weather Underground (WU):
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMOLEESS9#history

Here's my CWOP information:
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/AP780

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2018, 01:48:02 PM »
Simplest and about 1/2 cost of Meteobrige Pro.

Davis 6510USB +  Meteobridge.

The Meteobridge will feed the services that he is wanting now and if (when ?) he wants to add other services, build a web page or add camera, the Meteobridge will allow as many as needed.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 02:48:56 PM »

The Meteobridge will feed the services that he is wanting now and if (when ?) he wants to add other services, build a web page or add camera, the Meteobridge will allow as many as needed.

Would work.  A bit more complex, and perhaps a bit more expensive, than the WiFiLogger.  But more "Davislike".

Offline klschmidt

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 06:06:05 PM »
I am also in a very rural area and using Verizon for my home internet needs. In an attempt to get better 4G reception I purchased a Verizon 4G router (Smart Hub). The Smart Hub has an ethernet port which made connecting Weatherlink IP simple and easy. I believe Verizon also offers a 4G router with external antennas which may provide better 4G service and Wifi coverage than the Smart Hub. Your Verizon dealer could do better at providing a specific router recommendation than I can. I realize you mentioned the additional cost of purchasing a 4G router, but if it would also help with home internet performance it may be something worth considering (especially if you have had the jetpack long enough to avoid early termination fees).

On the data usage subject: I have not seen a significant increase when I started posting weather data online.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 06:32:22 PM »

Would work.  A bit more complex, and perhaps a bit more expensive, than the WiFiLogger.  But more "Davislike".

For the price of the wifi logger, there arent many solutions to get data to the web cheaper without running a computer 24/7.  Ryan has them for $139.  So all you need is the VP2 (model of your choice) and the console or envoy, and boom, you're uploading easily.  A couple kinks in th firmware of course, but I have 100% those will be worked out.  The owner of wifilogger is very responsive and helpful.

anything